Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1x10 XTR for AM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

1x10 XTR for AM

Your thoughts please gents before I dive in. Looked at a few reviews and websites and still debating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Other debate in my head is keeping Tech V2 which are fit and forget but heavyish or go for XTR Trail your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thinking 1x10 but sram X0.
    I like the look of those xtr trail brakes.Very interesting and a good weight.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm very much still pondering myself, I've decided to let my x2 run it's course before forcing a decision on meself

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That's exactly what I am starting to think but the other set up could move up to commuter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are some good gear chart tables on line, but has any one experience of the Heim 2 ?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Only one bike at the mo, I gave my Hummer to me mate and it's currently doing laps in downtown Baghdad

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just put 1x9 on an Argon CC 29er and I can report that it's fabulous, so 1x10 will be even better. I have the E.13 single ring chain set front, which is beautifully machined and very light. Some photos linked in the Argon CC set up database post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    About to get my AC built up 1x10 using the new XTR kit and an e13 ring up front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    go for xtr trail, you won't be dissapointed. much lighter then my v2s and as powerfull dare i sa it. pads last longer in v2s, and due to the proper vened disc, they don't suffer heat fade

mtbr member
    I know I sound like a broken record... but again on yesterdays scoot I spent much of the time in my 22 x 34. It was steep and slipy in the forest but I rode it, had I been on 32 x 36 I would have been walking. I might swap my 205 V2 disks for 185... the big boys are a bit bent after 2 years of abuse... awesome shoppers though. the elixir 5 on my other bike are close but not as good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys gone for 1X10 but still debating the brakes. Pimp if I need to later I can always add 2X10 by just getting the front end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    I know I sound like a broken record... but again on yesterdays scoot I spent much of the time in my 22 x 34. It was steep and slipy in the forest but I rode it, had I been on 32 x 36 I would have been walking. I might swap my 205 V2 disks for 185... the big boys are a bit bent after 2 years of abuse... awesome shoppers though. the elixir 5 on my other bike are close but not as good.
    I am thinking that i might try 2x10 first and then go 1x10,and try it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This is the aim:
    Nicolai Helius AM Ultimate Trail Light
    Part Make / Model Weight

Bar Grips Renthal Kevlar 100
    Brakes Rear Formula The One 180 335
    Brakes Front Formula The One 180 Float 355
    Cables / Housing Gore Ride-On Sealed 80
    Cassette XTR M980 270
    Chain Shimano XTR 10 Speed 231
    Crankset Shimano XTR 790
    Outer Ring None -60
    Middle Ring Renthal 34t incl.
    Inner Ring None -30
    Ring Bolts incl.
    Chain guide LG1+ 169
    Derailleur Front none
    Derailleur Rear XTR M980 medium cage 174
    Fork BOS Deville 2060
    Frame Nicolai Helius AM 3487
    Rear Shock BOS Stoy 216 x 63 with Ti Spring 790
    Handlebar Easton Havoc Carbon 225
    Headset Chris King Ti 105
    Headset Spacers None 0
    Pedals Candy 4ti 199
    Quick Release Rear Thru Axle incl. 0
    Saddle Toupe 170
    Seatpost Binder Control tech carbon 15
    Seat Post Easton Havoc Carbon 240
    Shifter XTR left only 98
    Stem Point 1 123
    Tire Front Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35" TL 595
    Tire Rear Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35" TL 595
    Wheelset Easton Haven Carbon 1450

Weight in Grams 12566
    Weight in lb 27.70

Red items yet to purchase.
    Last edited by Garry AM; 01-03-2011 at 04:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    With pos exception of Brakes and fork or at least they're last on the list.
    Last edited by Garry AM; 01-03-2011 at 04:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wheelset Easton Haven Carbon 1450

Have you won the xmas lottery.

I would like a set of these---Need photos please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not got them yet local shop is going to do me a deal as they want to see and try them too! The plus point of a Nicolai is you don't need to buy a new frame every couple of years so can get the odd treat!

mtbr member
    Damn me that sounds good. 27lb with a coil on an am! Where's tlr?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    *drool*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    A broken record you might be but I agree. I get away with my 24 x 34 for 80% of my riding. I stick it in overdrive for the downs and on the very odd occasion I wish for a 22t front(which to be honest i may as well do as I never need the full extent of the overdrive).

A 1 x 9 or 1 x 10 with a 32t would be a no go for me on anything other than a lightweight xc bike.

With a 36t rear I may get away with a 28 front or so. However I suspect I'd still be quicker adding the minimal weight of an extra ring and mech!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm suspicious. I doubt you'd break below 28lbs with a coil although I think you'll come close. I'm thinking you've missed something here, perhaps inner tubes or if you're planning on running UST are the Nobby Nics really only 595g each? Only most other 2.25 UST tyres are pushing over 750g and most of the Maxxis ones are coming in over 850g (regardless of what the published weights are!).

I think you're being optimistic with the brake as well. My (albeit older) Formular The Ones weight 580g for the front and rear calipers, including hoses, adapters and bolts. The 180mm rotors weight 288g a pair including bolts, for an all in weight of 868g versus you're aim here of 690g. The R1s with 160mm rotors still weigh over 700g.

The Point One Racing stem is heavier than advertised as well - have a look on www.sicklines.com at their weight section as it's shown as 144g anbd the LG1+ weighs 200g not 169g.

I've just recently confirmed these weights myself by stripping my bike down and weighing everything individually.

This is of course an exercise if extreme pedantry/anal retentiveness and the biggest single killer feature of that build is going to be the wheels. You could be at 29lbs because you've added a dropper seat post and heavier tyres but with those wheels, the bike will still feel like a whippet on speed.

BTW the SRAM XX cassette is the same price currently as the XTR one but will save you a decent 65g or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes Geetee the 2011 2.35 Nobby Nics are 595 and tubeless but I'll believe it when I see them on the scales everything else is scale weights.

Again formula one I am just going of other peoples on scale photo's.

The point one stem I've got and thats the exact weight its the one with ti hardwear as standard.

LG1 200g bastards thats a big fib!

Yeah Geetee the dropper post may well stay as I love it the rigid post was only to get weight down.

Now your just showing off because you just bought that cassette I read the other thread, very flash.

mtbr member
    I'm sorry but to fit just 1 front chain ring on a true AM bike seems contrived.
    It's like buying a 911 cup car and fitting just the right gear ratios for your favourite local sprint track. A total waste.

I bought an all mountain bike to use on all of the 'mountain'. I would dearly love to embrace the simplicity that the setup offers, but then again I would rather sit and spin than walk and push.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    Not got them yet local shop is going to do me a deal as they want to see and try them too! The plus point of a Nicolai is you don't need to buy a new frame every couple of years so can get the odd treat!
    Do they want to do a second set as a good deal?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the latest,2.25 ust Nobby Nics,They are allgrounders,They weigh 730g ea,Didnt know there were any lighter versions.
    There might be,i think a lot of the Schwalbe tyres are now Tubeless ready.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast