mtbr member

142x12 rear drop outs

Does Nicolai make a 142x12mm dropout yet?
    May want to do this on my frame instead of the 135x12

Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Not sure if this helps your particular situation, but I have a 135x12 dropout, but a 142mm XTR hub is in it.

The builder took the axle out of a 135mm Saint hub and put it in the 142mm XTR hub, fitted it and it worked. Shimano told them it was OK to do this, apparently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Yes this is a massive beneifit I have 12mm 135 but really wish it had been 142. Also should have gone for HS ISCG and 1.5 head tube but that's another story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM View Post
    Yes this is a massive beneifit I have 12mm 135 but really wish it had been 142. Also should have gone for HS ISCG and 1.5 head tube but that's another story.
    having never tried a 142 i cant see how it would make much difference at all. what benefit are you talking about?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    having never tried a 142 i cant see how it would make much difference at all. what benefit are you talking about?
    These: http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Dipper, you get the stiffness of a 12mm axle but the ease of fitting like a qr i.e. you just drop the bike down onto the wheel and it is all aligned ready to slide the axle straight through no more fiddling at night in -5 cursing trying to get the blessed axle home while trying to take just enough weight of the bike v chain tension to set the axle home.

mtbr member
    Ive seen the drawings and can see some benefits. Won't make much odds to me as I only remove the wheel if I need to fix a puncture(and I've had one this year!)
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    Ive seen the drawings and can see some benefits. Won't make much odds to me as I only remove the wheel if I need to fix a puncture(and I've had one this year!)
    Seems that the Syntace X12 system is more rigid, due to the way it clamps the axle? Norco and Knolly are two of several manufacturers going over to this system for next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Surely it is a great thing for Nicolai as well as it's a German idea!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    So, it is not an option yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i think it will never be an option in the future because x-12 is from syntace/liteville and N dont want their stuff.
    really like to have x12 on my helius am.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.juggles View Post
    i think it will never be an option in the future because x-12 is from syntace/liteville and N dont want their stuff.
    really like to have x12 on my helius am.
    Does not have to be x12, 142x12 is an industry standard from Shimano and everybody else. 135x12 is PITA to use and many hubs will not support it. The whole difference is what - machined 3.5mm slots so that hub cups slide in?

There was some testing form a German magazine - they measure stiffness of 12mm Maxle as just a bit more then 10mm bolt-on, while 142 (as cups rest on frame) was something like 50% higher.

Hm.. I was thinking on ordering.. maybe ordering 10mm dropouts and then, later on potentially upgrading seatstays to 142x12.

Odd that such a company like them do not do modular dropouts that can be swapped. In such case one could just ask a machinist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Modular dropouts would indeed be a good thing.

Like dipper I have no trouble changing the wheel, can't say I notice the stiffness either. I suspect the wheel is a bigger stiffness problem than the 12mm axle.

I asked about 142 for my new frame, was told no option, as I also asked for a 56mm ID lower taper to take a ZS headset on the 29, was told no.

Good point bout the seat stays though. I they do it in the future, it can be changed.
    Aka chainline...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Modular dropouts would indeed be a good thing.

Like dipper I have no trouble changing the wheel, can't say I notice the stiffness either. I suspect the wheel is a bigger stiffness problem than the 12mm axle.

I asked about 142 for my new frame, was told no option, as I also asked for a 56mm ID lower taper to take a ZS headset on the 29, was told no.

Good point bout the seat stays though. I they do it in the future, it can be changed.
    I have an order to be made, and I am thinking to go with regular 10mm QR. I use wheels with RWS or bolt-on, which are fairly stiff. Though I can retrofit them with 12mm, but then I can not share them with my other bikes (though I have an Azonic 12/10 stepdown bolt on axle as a solution).

I would likely to keep the frame for many years, and I am concerned 135x12 is not the future standard. My favorite wheels are Shimano anyway, and they went for 142mm..

Difficult to decide.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't think 135x12 is going away. I wouldn't worry. Just go with what you're happy with. Most manufacturers will accommodate the standard in m opinion. In the same way as 15/20mm front.
    Aka chainline...