wuss

06 Helius FR with 50mm stroke shock + frame weight

I have been trying to figure out what using a 50mm stroke shock on this bike will do. Does it mean shorter travel, or higher leverage ratio? If shorter travel does it affect the geometry?

I've seen some people measure a medium frame without shock and get about 3.3KG which is 7.2lb's. Other places have been mentioning over 8lb's for weight. Anyone know what is correct?

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Leverage ratio changes when you use different travel setting that the frame has. It's 1:2.63 in the longer travel setting (upper hole in the swing link) and 1:2 in the shorter travel (lower hole). Leverage ratio won't depend on the shock stroke. It's the actual travel that depends on the shock stroke and the frame's leverage ratio. With a 50 mm stroke shock you'll get 100 mm in the shortest travel setting and around 130 mm in the longest travel setting.

So I guess you're leaning towards the Helius? Good...

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    As for the weight, there's no single figure. It depends on the frame size, whether it's anodized or powder coated, has ISCG mounts or 1.5 headtube or not.
    I'm guessing 3.3 kg is about right for an anodized medium without shock.

Update: Your shop can probably weigh it for you if you ask them.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith

So I guess you're leaning towards the Helius? Good...
    I'm torn between the options. Ration keeps telling me the XCL would suit my riding style better, but I want the Nicolai.

I think the final deciding factor will be if the Chumba dealer drops the XCL price further then it is now.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    I'm torn between the options. Ration keeps telling me the XCL would suit my riding style better, but I want the Nicolai.
    Let me add some fuel to the fire

The XCL only takes E-Type front derailleurs, some people do not like them.

BTW I was in the same situation as you're now when I was choosing between different frames for my full-susser. As I read in one review of a certain Nicolai frame (don't remember now which one), "If you want a Nicolai, you want a Nicolai and that's it" Very true for me.

wuss
    I don't have any front derailleur, so either way I will end up buying one. I have read bad things about setting up an e-type derailleur, but the Chumba dealer is so cool he would probably give me a hand.

But yeah, my original plan was to sell my current frame before buying a new one. Now I'm just thinking of getting the new one and selling the old one after. That way I'll be able to put my pushed dhx 5 on the Helius if I end up buying it.