mtbr member
    Jan 2011

[AFR]: use intented & sizing

hi,
    im considering to buy an AFR+Hammerschmidt as they make me a great puchase proposal for a frame they have in stock (really i was thinking to the AM, but with the AFR i can save a lot of money)...my style is from AM to light FR (im an old baby of 47 who prefers to pedal with no hurry uphill before having fun when going downhill)... i would like to build a DO-IT-ALL-BIKE...my idea is to match the AFR with a Marza 55 Switch 130-170 CR or Lyrik 170 2-step...im 174cm with 69cm inseam...the frame avaiable is a MediumSize...so i need some advice from you if:
    -the size is correct for me
    -my idea could be OK or it is better saving more money and go to the AM (i dont take care of 400gr more)
    -it could be better to move to a 216mm eyeTOeye shox (if i understand welll reading thru the posts this solution is better for my purpose) or run the 222mm on the 2nd or 3rd hole
    -any other suggestion/advice form your side will be great

thanks to all,
    vale

ps: i owned a HeliuST in the past

mtbr member
    You'll get away with a medium at 5'8" or so. It is a very good bike to pedal but with hammerschmidt lure looking at 36lb + realistically unless you go mad on the spec. It's suits a 180 fork and the ha gets steeper with shorter forks.

Personally, for the type of riding you describe I'd hang on for an AM or possibly even an Ac. No point lugging all that metal around for the riding you do. I did for @ 18 months and it is a great bike but I did also use it for dh which justified its weight.

I know of an AM here in the uk for sale(ano black with hs mounts, 12mm rear and 1.5ht. Pretty much mint) that would probably suit you better.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Medium size should be just great for you.

I own an AM and can not compare so much with AFR but I can say that AFR is more an FR then truly AM bike... If you would like to have a more downhill/overkill bike, bikepark bike,... AFR is the best choice. If you've a good business for AFR and don't mind that much for 400gm, go for it

I would buy a 222mm shock because then you can use in any of the 4 holes. Rear travel, is "never" to much!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks to all for the answers/adivices...now i have a Knolly Endo with an aggressive set-up: (Marza 66rc2x-old model with great performances (turned by marzocchi to 160mm to match the frame geometry) - TST Roco TI spring- Xmax SX - full XT) and weights 15.5kg more or less...i could set it up like a 'traditional' AM of 13-13.5 kg, but i prefer like i did for my pleasure and style:-))...that bike is a killer singletrack; it goes where you want...it seems you have a joystick in your hand...i am considering to change it not for the short rear travel (5.5" but with excelent progression; very close to Nicoolai susp.), but for the short wheelbase (my Small has 106cm as wheelbase)...too few when the speed start to rise and you feel the limit of the frame that was not built for doing this...the best choice would be the Nico AM, but i have find great deals on the 'major sister ' of mine (Delirium around eur 1100) and AFR (around 1200 eur frame+HammerSc) as already said...both are ex-expò frames; so new 100%.
    Best price i find for a Nico AM is eur 1200 for an used ring...im very confused and mybe i'lll buy nothing and continue to ride my Endo and save a lot of money ;-))

ps: AFR with 222mm shox moved to 2-3 hole and 170mm fork would not work well in your opinion ??...HA would be around 66°- 66.5° i suppose with that fork...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [AFR]: use intented & sizing-2012-08-24-073.jpg  

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I've owned both an AFR and an Endo. The AFR is quite a bit more bike. You can pedal it up hill and it's not too bad for a big bike, but it's nothing like going up hill on an Endo which feels down right snappy by comparison. The HS is kind of a pig and everyone that I know who bought one has given up on it for weight and drag. Most have switched to a 1x10 setup now and are getting on just fine. Like others said, the AFR is great if you're going to throw in some serious DH or bike park riding, otherwise, look at something in the 160 mm range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    I've owned both an AFR and an Endo. The AFR is quite a bit more bike. You can pedal it up hill and it's not too bad for a big bike, but it's nothing like going up hill on an Endo which feels down right snappy by comparison. The HS is kind of a pig and everyone that I know who bought one has given up on it for weight and drag. Most have switched to a 1x10 setup now and are getting on just fine. Like others said, the AFR is great if you're going to throw in some serious DH or bike park riding, otherwise, look at something in the 160 mm range.
    thanks a lot for your answer..as i said they make me a great offer and i was considering it....for the Nicolai AM i have to save more money so...i have to wait...what about the Delirium ???... i read 100% positive reviews here...and it is also considered a great all-do-bike even if the frame weights like the AFR...thanks again

ps: also on Delirium i find nice offers as it is not in production anymore

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by pescecane View Post
    thanks a lot for your answer..as i said they make me a great offer and i was considering it....for the Nicolai AM i have to save more money so...i have to wait...what about the Delirium ???... i read 100% positive reviews here...and it is also considered a great all-do-bike even if the frame weights like the AFR...thanks again

ps: also on Delirium i find nice offers as it is not in production anymore
    The Delirium is quite similar to the AFR but it pedals a little better. Both are big bikes for big lines, more FR than AM. Both are top level build quality. You wouldn't be disappointed with either when descending, just have to be honest with yourself about weather you really want to pedal up on a 35lb bike. Not to sound discouraging, but it can not be understated that these are big bikes for trail riding.

Here's a shot of my AFR built to around 32-33 lbs, I swapped in a dropper post for AM rides. It was a great bike for sure, but I had to spend a bunch of money cutting weight to make it fun for longer rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    the Endo is quite perfect...you had it so i have nothing to add....the only 'limit' i can notice (but it is normal for the frame type) is the short wheelbase (i have a Small with 106cm) that make the bike very nervous while descending the speed starts to rise a little and the rear end hits some big obstacles...only for this reason i would like to move in something bigger to have a little more safe (and fun) during the downhilling phase...i dont matter to carry on around 1 kg more as a bike...if you also consider my usual 'luggage' during my trails (backpach with hydrapack, fullface helmet, knee/arm protection, etc...they are 5 kg more or less)...if i move to a bigger frame, i do not want to fail...must be efficient while im pedaling uphill...both Delirium/AFR(216mm shox instead of the 222mm) i would like to build with the compontens i alreday have (full XT, Crossmax SX, 66rc2x set by Marzocchi at 160mm for matching the geometry of the Endo)...i will upgrade in the future the fork in a Lyrik 2-steps/ Fox Talas or Marza 55 CR switch 130/170...if i would not find that deals on those frames (also th e delirium is out of production since this year), i would not have this 'problem'... :-) ..the best chice for me would be for sure the Nicolai AM...but at full price in out of my budget for now...thanks again fo your useful replays...
    Last edited by pescecane; 09-18-2012 at 12:48 AM.

mtbr member
    The afr pedals as well as any helius model with a half decent shock. If you don't mind the weight then go for it! I did some big rides on mine with no problem. Just a bit slower than I would have been on a 30lb bike
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    First & foremost I would not consider the HS, too heavy for the positives of it really. Go as ERR mentions 1 x 10 say with a 36 cog on the rear cassette... If most of your riding is uphill as dipper says, the AFR can pedal well, but the 35 lbs issue will take its toll....

Now if you are taking it to Whistler, go AFR all the way
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    The afr pedals as well as any helius model with a half decent shock. If you don't mind the weight then go for it! I did some big rides on mine with no problem. Just a bit slower than I would have been on a 30lb bike
    ...my riding are above all uphilll, for the simply reason that from october to june bikeparks are closed where i live...so you have to go uphill pedaling (sometimes it happens im able to go with a van) if you want to have fun descending...my Endo is not properly a fly....weights around 33-34lbs...

mtbr member
    See you boys and yer 1x10! Gimme a heavy bike with 2ings up front rather than a light one with 1 ring anyday! I had pilot up here with his daft single ring and it near killed him! He's a fit lad and he survived(his bikes 28lb) but he's talking of going smaller up front which limits you else where. Until I go 1x11 I'll be sticking with 2 rings

I didn't really find the weight of the afr that big a deal as most lads I was riding with also had pretty big bikes(and we were running 2 rings!). Now that xc/am type bikes are getting fr style geo everyone's going lighter. All of a sudden, 35lb feels heavy!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    if i want to go with a 216mm shox i have to change also the links or can i use the original ones????

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    You would just use the stock links.

I ran several shocks on mine and the RP23 in 63 x 216mm was far and away the best for trail riding. Being able to flip the Pro-pedal lever to control bob was rather essential to getting up the hill quickly. That said, I did a few big rides with an Elka coil shock and it was fine as long as your cadence was smooth. There is one caveat to the short shock in that the seat tube gets a bit slack. If you have long legs this might be irritating. I have about equal length torso and legs so this was not a big concern for me.

On the up side, the shorter shock gets the BB down to a much more agreeable height. The AFR felt kind of tall and awkward to me with the stock shock.

hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    See you boys and yer 1x10! Gimme a heavy bike with 2ings up front rather than a light one with 1 ring anyday! I had pilot up here with his daft single ring and it near killed him! He's a fit lad and he survived(his bikes 28lb) but he's talking of going smaller up front which limits you else where. Until I go 1x11 I'll be sticking with 2 rings

I didn't really find the weight of the afr that big a deal as most lads I was riding with also had pretty big bikes(and we were running 2 rings!). Now that xc/am type bikes are getting fr style geo everyone's going lighter. All of a sudden, 35lb feels heavy!
    which 1x10 do you have set on the AFR???... 26-36 ??..do you think i can go since i can move in the next future for a better setup (money) 1x9 - 26-34 or doesnt it work well???..thanks, vale

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by pescecane View Post
    which 1x10 do you have set on the AFR???... 26-36 ??..do you think i can go since i can move in the next future for a better setup (money) 1x9 - 26-34 or doesnt it work well???..thanks, vale
    11-36 rear and 34t up front in the photo I posted. I've run 1x9 in the past with 11-34 and 32t up front and it was fine, even in Utah riding at high elevation. Fitness will dictate how well it works for you though.