the giant.

XC mtn biking in high schools

im a high school student that is very into mtn biking and my friends and i have started a school held xc mtn biking club. we have received sponsorships from our local bike store and a nearby farmer has donated a VERY large piece of land for our club to use. we will compete in local races to raise money for bike upgrades. we are just starting off but it has already become more than i ever imagined.

if there are any parents with mtn biking kids or high schoolers out there ask your school to start a mtn biking club. it will give you the experience you want and a way to hang out with other riders and discover new trails. you could even make your own trails and share them with the community, just get out there and try spreading mtn biking to the students to expand the mtn biking community. it will be worth it.

any comments or suggestions?

mtbr member
    Good for you! I wish I had that kind of dedication to anything when I was in high school. Good luck!
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

Made in Canada
    You have succeeded in an endeavour that I failed in. Kudos to you that sounds amazing! Mountain Biking is not well acknowledged in many high schools. Good luck to you and your team, I hope to hear more about this in the future! Great job!
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    i wish that was around when i was younger. I didnt know anyone who mtb when i was in high school. I started riding in middle school and loved it, just had no one to ride with. Then i discovered cars, girls and beer. I hope you mtb team does well!

808+909 = Party Good Time
    there is an article in Mountain Bike Australia this edition about schools in Australia that have taken up MTB as part of the sport curriculum and one school is even building a pump track on the school grounds... it's on the rise for sure.

It's about showing up.

NorCal & SoCal High School RAcing

We started it in California and are now in our 9th season. Over 40 schools and nearly 500 racers in NorCal alone:

www.norcalmtb.org

mtbr member
    That's pretty cool. I wish we had that! If we biked around the school we would be kicked out. We had a tiny trail in the back of school, but you could only walk. I'm going back in time to go to your school.

the giant.
    haha. thanks. it took almost no effort. but to be school related we had to promise to stay off the sports fields. which is the entire school grounds. haha. good thing we got a farmer to let us use like 3 acres of land that is all woods. all we have to do is clear a trail and its all ours to ride.