mtbr member

UMass Collegiate Race Report (long)

wow what a sweet weekend.

i was just coming off a head cold on saturday, so i was hacking up a lung and dnf'ed out of the XC one lap in...i was feeling ok for the first two miles but then just absolutley bombed and couldn't turn over the pedals. no worries, my teammate goes on to win our class (mens B) and we have a good showing by two guys in A as well.

Fireworks of the weekend came for me came at the short track on sunday. i was nicely warmed up (partly thanks to the nice climb up to the actual course), had done quite a few laps to orientate myself with this one tricky corner on the backside of the course, etc. I was feeling really laidback at the line, and i usually get a little ansy at the line in the final 30 seconds when they call the time.

Not this time...."3, 2, 1, GO" what the hell??? no queesy stomach for 30 seconds, so that was nice. everyone takes off, i get in line 3rd behind a UVM kid and a UNH kid (i think), get around the corner no problem. UVM takes off on the bottom flat, so i pass UNH to get around him, and then sprint like crazy up the short fire road hill...look back and i have a huge gap on UVM. oh crap.

i decide to play my cards and go. 5 minutes in, gap is opening...sweet, and by about 10 minutes i'm maintaining about 10 seconds on 2nd place....but oh my god my legs were hurting. UVM starts to close the gap just as the 9 to go come up....he gets really close to me w/ about 5 to go and i sprint up the hill again...and viola...the gap is back up to what it was

by the end of the race, i'd maintained my pace pretty well, (either that or everyone else burned out) and had a quite comfortable gap at the line, enough to slow down and do a joke 1st gear wheelie over the line.

FINALLY WON A RACE. FIRST TIME IN ABOUT TWO YEARS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ctracer01
    ...but oh my god my legs were hurting...
    Welcome to the wonderful world of STXC, my favorite race! It is all about hurting yourself and pushing yourself so hard you want to puke and die. Congrats on the win

mtbr member
    I wish we had an MTB team at Elon University.....I would have loved to race

anyway, congratulations on your win