MTBr ReMember

UC Davis brings collegiate racing to Boggs...

...A few weeks ago as things turned colder and my efforts went to fall chores, I saw a post on the NorCal forum regarding a race at Boggs.
    As this was the first I had heard of it, I checked with "Friends of Boggs" to see what was up.

The event confirmed, I contacted Pat Morrison one of the race directors.
    I told him that I would be working with them to see that the event would go well and that concerns expressed by various groups would be met.
    Racing at Boggs has been a contentious issue in the past and we would be facing significant challenges.

Knowing that Demonstration forests across the state were being pressured on many sides and Boggs having a new forest manager, there would be plenty of detail work to do.
    I got a commitment from Hoz to work with me and a "Go" from Friends of Boggs.

Not having gone to college and never raced, this also seemed like a perfect opportunity to share a different kind of MTB Passion...

Then the rains came...

With the first pre-ride cancelled it was coming down to one week...

Last Sunday Danny and Brendan from UC Davis and Charlie a NORBA rider from Santa Rosa came up and rode the course with me.
    Enjoying the company of these talented riders I exceeded my capabilities slightly and biffed off an oak tree on Game trail...bruising my shoulder and later realizing I had broken a rib as well.

With an awesome ride completed we went our separate ways to plan and execute this event.

The rains returned...

With mounting concern for trail and road conditions Friday arrived cloudy and cool.

Danny and Raffie showed up in the afternoon to start setting the course as Mary and I dropped marking supplies and removed a downed oak limb.
    I returned to the campground as Pat arrived. We reviewed what was left to do, with night falling.

Piling in the Glomar we headed to the St. Helena brewery for warmth and sustenance.
    As a few more of the group found their way... Mary and I dropped the group off at camp and went home to a warm fire with thoughts of our new friends camped out at Boggs...

It rained some more.

Saturday Dawned cool but clear, as I packed the Glomar for a weekend of MTB revelry.
    I arrived at camp to see a moderately large group of campers coming to life and looking to the days event.

The start of the XC race was postponed two hours to allow the trails to dry and the remainder of the course marking to be done. I would be corner marshalling and sweeping with the Glomar as Hoz swept the course on his Trials M/C.

The two 13 mile laps for advanced and intermediate riders, and one lap for the rest of the field appeared to test them fully.

There was one broken hand treated by Hoz as our new forest manager looked on, and a late rider was located and finished the race...Two lost South African tourists were found after dark. They had become lost during a visit not related to the event.
    Hoz and I felt that the first event had gone well and our efforts were paying off.

It was now time for some post race celebrating...
    I had talked over some of the evenings plans, mentioning the details of Bike Sumo, Pixie bike races and the Huffy toss which the TROGS had entertained us with at MTBr gatherings.
    Everyone embraced the combined features of the events.

I returned to the house to eat and pickup the generator etc. for the evenings entertainment.

I pulled up to camp and deployed the Generator as the Sumo event began.

It was clear that the young cyclist knew what Passion was all about...It was very much like our own Gatherings ...

As the evening peaked with the sacrifice of a RoadMaster to the cycling gods I knew that tomorrow would bring a spirited SuperD downhill event...I would not be disappointed.

When I woke Sunday, the excitement was building inside me...I wanted to "Ride"...not just sweep or drive shuttle!

This was it...I would enter the SuperD!

I was aware that I might come off as the rodeo clown in this event, but I didn't care...

There were some looks at the registration table...after all I?m 25 years older then the rest of the field.
    So with my number plate attached I rode up to the overlook at the top of Scout trail.
    Sharing the view with the youthful visitors to my world...

The excitement increased as the first groups ran up the hill for the Le Mans start...I was not looking forward to a 200 yard uphill dash in armor and fullface helmet...but that's the rules!

My turn came finally, and lining up with the handful of riders in the men's "C" category ...We were off!

I was fully winded by the time I got to my bike...I intended to stay that way till the finish.
    Being a SuperD the course was actually a "mostly" downhill XC trail for a couple of miles.

I went as fast as I had ever gone on these trails...and noted every bailout point where other riders had over run the course...I was alone and racing with myself.
    The video "Chasing Renee" kept running through my head...I was breathing hard and cranking till the finish!

I rounded the turn onto the fireroad finish...being the last contestant I had the entire group of riders to witness the finish of my first and possibly only race...It was a fine feeling!

As the weekend came to a close and cleaning up and packing the camp took our remaining energy, I looked around at the new friends that had shared their MTB Passion with me...I am looking forward to seeing some of them next year...and also hope to see them at MTBr Gatherings in years to come.

I wish them well, as these young Passionites move into their chosen professions whether it is engineering recumbent bikes or finding solutions to environmental problems, and that they will carry fond memories of a weekend of racing at Boggs forest.

To all of you I met this weekend...When you take your bikes out to the trailhead, look around the parking lot for the "Glomar"...you will find me out riding the trails.

Thanks for an awesome weekend!

Tim

Here is a pic of the front runners on lap one or the XC event:

And a shot of the Sumo bike event:

There is another post on NorCal by JorgeMonkey:

Boggs Mtn Race Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UncleMTB; 11-15-2004 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Keyboard mismanagement...

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice write up Tim. Sounds like a hell of a time. You certainly get 1st place for "Hosting". Cheers.

MTBr ReMember

Thanks Eric...

...It was my intent to give back to the sport that has given me so much.
    The Davis team made it easy...

Tim

mtbr dismember
    Weren't you first in your class? And in your first downhill race?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Now, Im not entirely sure, but I didnt see too many norba beginers out there, so chances are pretty good that Tim did get first in this event. I'll have to check on that, but Im about 99.9% sure that Tim at least made the podium, so congratulations to Tim for whooping it up on his very first gravity event!

Oh, and by the way, very nice writeup about the weekend. Thanks for all your help. Let us know if the trails need any maintenance after the use this weekend. Or in fact, let us know when you guys plan on doing any maintenance, and we'll try to send a couple people out there.

Thanks again,
    Pat

MTBr ReMember

I didn't see...

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    ...any other 48 Y.O. beginners.
    It felt like a win regardless...having you chase me all year paid off!

Tim

MTBr ReMember

The next trail work day...

...will be in January.

I'll keep you posted.

It was a pleasure working with all of you on this event.
    I hope we can have many more at Boggs...It's a chance to "Demonstrate" more than just timber practices...

Tim

pewpewpew Moderator
    Racing with a broken rib? Tough as nails, you are. Nice write up, and nice work on a demo forest - they seem to be getting endangered....

MTBr ReMember

We're hangin' on to...

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Racing with a broken rib? Tough as nails, you are. Nice write up, and nice work on a demo forest - they seem to be getting endangered....
    ...our Demo forest the best we can!!!

Glad ya' got to see the post...Didn't want ya' to think I was sandbaggin' yr ride last week...
    Then I saw that you missed out as well.

I'm leaving for San Diego in a few hours...gettin' some Z's first.

I'm looking to ride Mon, Tues or Weds...if you can cut loose for a ride in the general area PM me and I'll send you my cell...lookin' for another shot at Nobel Canyon.

Hope your move went well,
    Tim