K n e e m o i

Trail/Singletrack riding and Collegiate athletes

I met these guys twice on the trail, and man, they sure don't like being passed on the trail. They were collegiate football players it seemed, with their shirts proudly showing off the team they belong to. That's perfectly fine, you worked hard for your accomplishment, and you can show it off anyway you like.

I come up behind this one guy, and I want to pass him. I say, "on your left when you get a chance." and bike behind him. The trail opens up a bit, and I move on to the left to pass him, but he just keeps biking on like nothing is going on. The curve comes up, and I fall back, since I didn't want to collide with him.

Now a sane person would just move over a bit, slow down and let them pass, but not this dude. He just kept biking as if he wanted to get away from me.

OK, that's fine. So he increases his pace it seemed, but I am still behind him. He knows that I am behind him, and I want to pass, but he wouldn't let me. I wanted to shortcut and pass him agressively, but didn't want to look like an a-hole, or run him off the road. (He didn't seem like an advanced biker, as I was behind him for a while.) This continued on until the end.

When someone is on your ass for 10 minutes+, you would get a clue and figure out that they want to pass you, especially when the passer notified the guy that he wants to pass.

When I get someone on my ass on the trail, (which happens, as I am nowhere close to being the fastest guy) I would inch over and signal for them to pass me, as they are obviously faster than I am. It's not like we are racing each other or anything.

At the trailhead, he went to hang out with his other buddies, all wearing sleeveless "muscle shirts" with their football team slogan on it.

Some people are just so arrogant that they just can't stand losing, even if it was not intended to be a competition.
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

mtbr member
    I know a few of that type. Boys will be boys, some their whole lives...
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

Braunstein Frere
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    I met these guys twice on the trail, and man, they sure don't like being passed on the trail. They were collegiate football players it seemed, with their shirts proudly showing off the team they belong to. That's perfectly fine, you worked hard for your accomplishment, and you can show it off anyway you like.

I come up behind this one guy, and I want to pass him. I say, "on your left when you get a chance." and bike behind him. The trail opens up a bit, and I move on to the left to pass him, but he just keeps biking on like nothing is going on. The curve comes up, and I fall back, since I didn't want to collide with him.

Now a sane person would just move over a bit, slow down and let them pass, but not this dude. He just kept biking as if he wanted to get away from me.

OK, that's fine. So he increases his pace it seemed, but I am still behind him. He knows that I am behind him, and I want to pass, but he wouldn't let me. I wanted to shortcut and pass him agressively, but didn't want to look like an a-hole, or run him off the road. (He didn't seem like an advanced biker, as I was behind him for a while.) This continued on until the end.

When someone is on your ass for 10 minutes+, you would get a clue and figure out that they want to pass you, especially when the passer notified the guy that he wants to pass.

When I get someone on my ass on the trail, (which happens, as I am nowhere close to being the fastest guy) I would inch over and signal for them to pass me, as they are obviously faster than I am. It's not like we are racing each other or anything.

At the trailhead, he went to hang out with his other buddies, all wearing sleeveless "muscle shirts" with their football team slogan on it.

Some people are just so arrogant that they just can't stand losing, even if it was not intended to be a competition.

So why did you wait to post your rant on the internet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've yet to see anything like this on the trails around here. I think I would get annoyed and pass him aggressively after a little while. Maybe ask him more than once to get over a little. Is it possible he didn't understand "on your left" as you were behind him? Either way, what a dick....I'd be pissed too.