mtbr member

Schwinn Collegiate Sport 5

So i just came across an old schwinn collegiate sport 5 (i know this is MTBR not road bike review, sorry). i think its a '73 by the serial # and color. Its in pretty rough shape but nothings bent and i love a challenge. I have no use for it, i really just wanted to fix it up for a project. Is there a market out there for old collegiates, do people collect them? or am i just wasting my time and money on an old junker? any insight would be great.

Thanks,
    Kyle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I really wouldn't waste too much money on it. I came across a pretty nice one a few months back. It should have been pretty much ready to roll when I got it, but some knucklehead stuck the wrong size tires on it. Those old Schwinn's use a proprietary rim diameter that is just slightly (5mm or so) larger than your typical 26x1-3/8 rim you found on the Raleigh Sports 3 speeds or other similar bikes. So, I had to throw on the proper set of Schwinn sized tires. Alltogether, I had about $20 tied up in the bike and a lot of time which I used cleaning the bike and polishing the chrome. I was able to sell the bike for $120. I do feel that I got top dollar for the bike. The guy that bought it really liked the bike and it was in excellent original condition. If you have no need for the bike, it probably isn't worth your time and effort to fix'er up. I wish I still had mine though. It was a great riding bike for just cruising around.