Hoodoo Voodoo?
    Jan 2007

Palo Alto Area High School XC MTB Coaches Needed, Maybe

Just testing the waters here.

I am considering looking into starting a XC MTB team at Gunn High School in Palo Alto. However, before I make a move and approach the school to see if there would be any interest, I thought I would check in with the local MTB'ing community to see if anyone would be interested in helping out by coaching, leading rides, etc.

If this sounds cool , PM me and I'll get in touch with you so we can talk about the possibilities. In the meantime check out this website...

http://www.norcalmtb.org/

to see what the program is all about.

Thanks for looking, Louis
    Ride hard or ride home alone

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you should find out about the long list of requirements to be a coach or ride leader under the norcal hs league

just another bleepin SSer
    You may want to check with Patty at Passion Trail Bikes (knobbyknees here on MTBR) - I seem to remember she had something going towards starting a team on the Peninsula. or at the least, they are collect goods there for high school teams, so maybe you can get some gear for a team you start.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

It's about showing up.

Scouting resources on MTBR

This forum can be extremely valuable for sussing out what you might need. I've been a NorCal coach for 9 years.PM me if you if you like. Good luck

mtbr member
    You can also PM me. I spent a lot of time at Passion and I work nearby in Sunnyvale. I've also been a coach for several years.

Hoodoo Voodoo?
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the support Mike and Sanjuro. With the unfortunate happenings with Gunn students over the last 6 months I feel like this might be a good opportunity for kids to get involved who might not otherwise do so. We all know how a quick ride can clear the head. I'll be in touch soon!

It's about showing up.

A few thoughts

Good riders are nice but riders with parents who help are best.

Avoid becoming a babysitter for "drop-off" parents. If their lives are too busy you will end up making up the difference.

Everyone should be welcome but not everyone can do this.

Start small. Too many riders with wide-ranging abilities and motivations tax support resources.

Safety and training comes before fun.

Bridle hot dogs quickly. No hot dog has ever been a champion. Not even close.

There is never any reason to hurry. Speed is not the method, it is the result.

Hoodoo Voodoo?
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Good riders are nice but riders with parents who help are best.

Avoid becoming a babysitter for "drop-off" parents. If their lives are too busy you will end up making up the difference.

Everyone should be welcome but not everyone can do this.

Start small. Too many riders with wide-ranging abilities and motivations tax support resources.

Safety and training comes before fun.

Bridle hot dogs quickly. No hot dog has ever been a champion. Not even close.

There is never any reason to hurry. Speed is not the method, it is the result.
    Nice! As a soccer coach, and one who has coached both gymnastics and snow skiing in the past, your thoughts can crossover to any sport. Thanks, these will be stored in my back pocket as a reminder for many years to come.

mtbr member
    The thing to recognize about coaching cycling is the lack of control you actually have.

Most sports are in a confined space, like a gym or a track. Mountain biking requires kids to show up at the trailhead, fix their own bikes, and train outside of the one or two rides scheduled each week. And not crash on the ride!

Exerting the correct amount of discipline is necessary to maintain a smooth running team.

We have rules about attendance and bike maintenance because we had problems without it. I also make sure we enforce them as well.

mtbr member

Brindle the hot dogs !?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike

Bridle hot dogs quickly. No hot dog has ever been a champion.

What does that mean???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Itswitz
    What does that mean???
    He means any rider that is going to ignore coaching direction, thinks he knows better than everyone else, and feels like mashing his teammates is going to win.

Adults may act that way but not the successful high school riders.