Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,035

    Oneonta State College Mountain Biking Club Passion: VIDEOS

    I am currently president of the Oneonta State College Mountain Biking Club located in Oneonta, NY. We recently got a GoPro HD Hero2 with Student Association funding, and are putting it to good use.

    The justification of buying the GoPro was to promote our club both to students and to the mountain biking community at large. As such, it is my duty as club president to provide you, the MTBR community, with plenty of videos to look at. That being said, here are a few videos from this past week. All videos are raw and unedited. So nothing sped up, slowed down, etc for effect. Will keep posting videos as we get more. All of these videos are from the same trail system; we have 3 other systems yet to get good footage from. Enjoy!







    Same trail, different shot:



  2. #2
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    Also, every subscribed user makes our club look better to the powers that be and helps increase our chances of adequate funding in these lousy economic times. Any support is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    649

    Great Vids!

    Nice shots. Woud have never thought there woud be a Feb with no snow on the ground up there!
    www.JORBA.org
    You Dig?
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

  4. #4
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,568
    very nice! My buddy Chris used to be the president there, before moving out to the west coast.

    He's on mtbr as Berkley I think.

  5. #5
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    very nice! My buddy Chris used to be the president there, before moving out to the west coast.

    He's on mtbr as Berkley I think.
    Yup, Chris helped a lot of us get going and really worked to take our club places. Back in NY now I believe, although none of us have heard from him in a while.

  6. #6
    Loves to suffer
    Reputation: freighttrainuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,186
    Nice videos! Liked and subscribed. I have 100 subscribers on my YouTube channel and it is all cycling-related material. My feed is public, so hopefully that will give your videos more exposure. My subscribers often like and subscribe to channels I do the same to.

    I like raw footage too. I edit my videos, but I leave the ride audio original. I feel it tells the story of the ride much better than if I removed it and replaced it with a music track.

    When I watch another cyclist's raw footage of a tough climb or technical section, it is very inspiring. The rider is showing us just how difficult that climb is. That motivates me to ride harder on my next climbing ride.

  7. #7
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    very nice! My buddy Chris used to be the president there, before moving out to the west coast.

    He's on mtbr as Berkley I think.
    Ding ding ding! Correct-a-mundo. Give the man a beer! (or six).


    Speaking of which...let's do a beer trade. Pleeeeeeeez?

  8. #8
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,568
    no pliney on the east coast?

  9. #9
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    Chris, come up here and ride. We miss you. And yes, I mean it.

  10. #10
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,963
    Cranx indoor bike park in Syracuse opens Sat 3/3/12. So if it's too cold and muddy for riding in Oneonta right now, by all means get on up here and have at it till the trails dry up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slower_than_u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    78
    Nice video! Were these really shot in mid-February? I know it's been a mild winter and all but your trails are in great shape and a couple of riders were wearing shorts!

  12. #12
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,768
    Nice videos, trails look good out that way in NY. Can't complain about this mild winter myself.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: magnetosphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    no pliney on the east coast?
    Dude if you are such a beer aficionado you would probably know that it is spelled Pliny not "pliney." Or did someone tell you that Pliny is good so now you think it is good?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon
    Since about half of the posts on here are about intangibles or hypotheticals, let's hear it!

  14. #14
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,568
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetosphere View Post
    Dude if you are such a beer aficionado you would probably know that it is spelled Pliny not "pliney." Or did someone tell you that Pliny is good so now you think it is good?
    haha, was probably drunk posting.

  15. #15
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    DWT: a few of us will probably be there on Sunday.

    Slower than u: Yep, Mid-February is right. It's been a really strange winter. Mid-40s and sunny yesterday, low-20s, snow, and wind midday today.

    We've done a lot of work the past few years to make our trails here sustainable, by re-working problematic areas and building high-quality new stuff. If you're within any reasonable distance it is definitely a place worthy of a day trip.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,847
    Any high school programs in Balwinsville?

    Nice vids btw.

  17. #17
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Any high school programs in Balwinsville?
    Not that I know of.

    There used to be a club for kids and teens, CNY Sprockids, but I don't know if it's still around.

    The best resource in the area for mountain biking is The Bike Loft in N. Syracuse. Talk to the owner, Lance Stonecipher.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  18. #18
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    DWT: a few of us will probably be there on Sunday..
    Due to your jerseys, I saw you guys. A bunch of very skill mt. bikers!

    If your trails do your skills justice, would love to try this when the weather dries and warms up.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Not that I know of.

    There used to be a club for kids and teens, CNY Sprockids, but I don't know if it's still around.

    The best resource in the area for mountain biking is The Bike Loft in N. Syracuse. Talk to the owner, Lance Stonecipher.
    Bike Loft seems to be the place to go for info for sure, want to see what options are out there so I can help my kid rediscover cycling. He rode/raced for 10 years and after finishing 2nd on the state youth championship last year dropped the bikes and haven't ridden since then.

  20. #20
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Bike Loft seems to be the place to go for info for sure, want to see what options are out there so I can help my kid rediscover cycling. He rode/raced for 10 years and after finishing 2nd on the state youth championship last year dropped the bikes and haven't ridden since then.
    Bike racing tends to burn people out - especially road racing. Road racing can rot your soul. My son raced both road and off road in NorCal, and it nearly ruined cycling for him. He still rides both but no more racing.

    The thing about mtn biking is that it is a challenge, it keeps you fit, and it is total fun.

    Obviously the focus should be on fun to get somebody back into riding. One place to maybe start so he can meet people is Cranx. There are more young BMX and dirt jumpers there than mtn bikers, but there are enough - like the Oneonta guys. Form some friendships then to group rides as Spring gets here.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Bike racing tends to burn people out - especially road racing. Road racing can rot your soul. My son raced both road and off road in NorCal, and it nearly ruined cycling for him. He still rides both but no more racing.

    The thing about mtn biking is that it is a challenge, it keeps you fit, and it is total fun.

    Obviously the focus should be on fun to get somebody back into riding. One place to maybe start so he can meet people is Cranx. There are more young BMX and dirt jumpers there than mtn bikers, but there are enough - like the Oneonta guys. Form some friendships then to group rides as Spring gets here.
    Agree, Cranx could be a place for him to meet people his age (15) and he can use my RX there, he loves Whiteface and usually rides there on long weekends but that will diminish when the move to Syracuse completes.

    Looking forward to after work rides and riding with him in the summer.

  22. #22
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Reputation: sambs827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    Just posted up a few more videos from a frosty ride with some alumni this weekend. They're the most recent videos, mostly with "OSCMTB: March 2012" in the title.

    OneontaBikes's Channel - YouTube

    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Due to your jerseys, I saw you guys. A bunch of very skill mt. bikers!

    If your trails do your skills justice, would love to try this when the weather dries and warms up.
    ahaha thanks! We had 4 current club members there plus two of our former presidents who have gone on to work bike-related jobs after graduating. Everyone had a blast and was feeling good and sore afterward.

    We'd love to have a crew from Syracuse out. I talked to Lance from BikeLoft and he said his crew might make a trip. Maybe y'all could coordinate a big crew, or whatever. Feel free to PM me or contact me at our club email: suco.mtb.club AT gmail and we can set something up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •