It's about showing up.

NorCal & SoCal High School Racers huge at Nationals

15 of 42 racers In Boys Cat 1 17-18 were from NorCal & SoCal Leagues. While fine boys from Ft.Follins and Durango took 1&2, 3rd through 6th were NorCal varsity racers Tony Smith (Marin Catholic), Will Curtis (2010 Varsity Champ, San Rafael), Chris Bennett (El Cerrito), and Nicolas Newcomb (Drake). Cody Kaiser (El Dorado Hils) was 9th, Alex Stevenson was 11th (Berkeley), Max Houtzager (Redwood)12th and Riley Predum (Drake)15th. That is 8 out of the top 15!

In Girls Cat 1 17-18 Drakes Sophia Hamilton took 2nd.
    In Boys Cat 2 15-18 Branson's Sven Beer won with team mate Eliel Antilla in 3rd and Jacob Albrecht from Santa Cruz in 5th.

I guess what I am seeing is that after 10 years of development organized High School racing is making a difference a the highest levels. No longer do we have to rely on those random self-developing talents which used to survive on their own. Now they are getting supported. Outreach is finding talents which might never have raced, good athletes who might have played other sports, and generating an incredibly fertile mountain biking community.

It is also speaks to the idea that how mountain biking has been understood, conceptualized, and communicated has merit. This is a critical idea, especially in a sport which has been largely learned by trial and error by independent efforts. What we don't see here in the numbers is that the kids still have fun.

Pretty dang cool.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Mike. So crazy how far mountain biking has come. I remember I had joined the first mtb club at San Rafael High around 1995, and we only had like 4-5 guys riding back then.

It's about showing up.

This makes you one of the pioneers!

Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss
    Thanks for the info Mike. So crazy how far mountain biking has come. I remember I had joined the first mtb club at San Rafael High around 1995, and we only had like 4-5 guys riding back then.
    I have spoken to riders like yourself who were in informal clubs at high school. The germ was there but the greater organizing energy wasn't. A touch of the visor to you!

Silence! I kill you!
    Sweet! Where is my Facebook "like" button?
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, I wonder if San Rafael High's close proximity to China Camp has anything to do with the skill of its riders.

It's about showing up.

The Marin riders

success is a function of the longstanding and deep mtb culture in that area. Not only are there an abundance of riders who are skilled from Day-one at the high school level, their parents ride too, and that is the root of things really. It makes for great support, supervision, and success.

As I have said before: "you can't throw a dead cat from the Java Hut without hitting a mountain biker."

It's about showing up.

Some pix. The Bennett Brothers.

By Tim Gillies. PreRace.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal & SoCal High School Racers huge at Nationals-ejohngranby.jpg  

NorCal & SoCal High School Racers huge at Nationals-echrisgranby2.jpg  

mtbr member

Nationals Road Trip!

NorCal and Northern California did very well at the Nationals.
    NorCal & SoCal High School Racers huge at Nationals-norcalhardware.jpg

Our group of NorCal racers returned home to Novato last night from a 11 day road trip that included a warm up at the Dville Classic, followed by lots of riding and racing at Nationals. The Utah cop that pulled us over for a speeding warning referred to me as the 'chaperone'. In reality yes I'm a grow'd up (kinda), a proud papa (for sure!), but really just another rider who had a great time with a talented bunch of racing fools who happen to be young'ns. This was a memorable road trip that I am so happy and lucky to have experienced.

These NorCal kids raced the Nationals in DH, 4x and Super D as well as the AM at the Dville Classic. They all qaulified for the Nationals XC but wanted to throw down on the DH course and represent NorCal on the gravity side.

There was lots of riding, racing, bumps, scrapes, bruises and fond memories from this trip. No major injuries in our crew, but there were many injuries at the Nationals.

Hardware in the above photo courtesy of:
    My daughter Kelsey:
    2nd - DH Cat1 15-18
    5th - SD Cat1 15-18 (behind 2 other NorCal girls)
    Ryan Stevens:
    1st - DH Cat2 15-16 (hardware not in photo cuz he was next door, but he was there!)
    Chris Ravina:
    3rd - DH Cat1 15-16
    3rd - SD Men Open 1-18 (lots of NorCal racers in this category)
    Thomas Ravina:
    3rd - 4x Cat1 15-18
    2nd - Dville AM Jr. Expert
    Evan Ames - non Norcal but representing Northern Cal and along for the ride with us:
    2nd - DH Cat1 19-24 (second fastest time on the amature course - overall)
    3rd - SD Open 19-29
    Me:
    5th - DH Cat1 45-49

It's about showing up.

Congratulations!

Quite a haul.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat.tires
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorCalHardware.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	556978

Our group of NorCal racers returned home to Novato last night from a 11 day road trip that included a warm up at the Dville Classic, followed by lots of riding and racing at Nationals. The Utah cop that pulled us over for a speeding warning referred to me as the 'chaperone'. In reality yes I'm a grow'd up (kinda), a proud papa (for sure!), but really just another rider who had a great time with a talented bunch of racing fools who happen to be young'ns. This was a memorable road trip that I am so happy and lucky to have experienced.

These NorCal kids raced the Nationals in DH, 4x and Super D as well as the AM at the Dville Classic. They all qaulified for the Nationals XC but wanted to throw down on the DH course and represent NorCal on the gravity side.

There was lots of riding, racing, bumps, scrapes, bruises and fond memories from this trip. No major injuries in our crew, but there were many injuries at the Nationals.

Hardware in the above photo courtesy of:
    My daughter Kelsey:
    2nd - DH Cat1 15-18
    5th - SD Cat1 15-18 (behind 2 other NorCal girls)
    Ryan Stevens:
    1st - DH Cat2 15-16 (hardware not in photo cuz he was next door, but he was there!)
    Chris Ravina:
    3rd - DH Cat1 15-16
    3rd - SD Men Open 1-18 (lots of NorCal racers in this category)
    Thomas Ravina:
    3rd - 4x Cat1 15-18
    2nd - Dville AM Jr. Expert
    Evan Ames - non Norcal but representing Northern Cal and along for the ride with us:
    2nd - DH Cat1 19-24 (second fastest time on the amature course - overall)
    3rd - SD Open 19-29
    Me:
    5th - DH Cat1 45-49
    Craig...YOU ROCK!

NedwannaB

Way to go Coach Craig!

Quote Originally Posted by fat.tires
    Me:
    5th - DH Cat1 45-49
    Awesome work by the gang.

@ Guitarzan: Hopefully you were on the ground when you sent that?!?!?!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Awesome work by the gang.

@ Guitarzan: Hopefully you were on the ground when you sent that?!?!?!

NedwannaB

Homer Simpson words of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan415
    D'oh! Uhhh....you fly Southwest right??
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Bike Geek

cool

Very awesome!
    RIP AL DAVIS