It's about showing up.

Norba High School Racing Camp at Santa Cruz

Once again the Norcal High School Racing League hosted the NORBA racing Camp at UC Santa Cruz. 20 of the best League riders and riders from the Western States came to sharpen their skills and share great times on the Campus and on the local singletrack. No fewer than 10 coaches, racers, and veterans were on hand to support, guide, and share in the fun which included hill climb repeats, time trial, and visits to the Santa Cruz and Giro Factories. I was honored to be called upon for additional support and photography. Great athletes, no attitude. At the end of the week the riders said they were tired but on their last day they were sharp and quick. Just awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hi Mike,

Do you know where these riders were from, as in what high schools? I happened to be up at UC and saw signs for a NORBA event, but didn't see anybody. Your post is the only news type coverage I've seen.

It strikes me as sort of ironic that Santa Cruz is such a hot bed of cycling, yet there doesn't seem to be anything organized beyond MBOSC, the local club.

HC

It's about showing up.

They were largely from Norcal

The Norcal High School Racing League draws from 26 "schools" from Northern California. "Oakland High" is a moniker for an assemblage of smaller schools in that City and there are independant High School Racers in every race. There are about 175 Racers in total, boys and girls who race as Freshmen, Sophomore, JV, and Varsity at Boggs, Granite Bay, Iron Angel, Billy Cross, Sea Otter, Central Coast at Monterey and Walker Ranch. The Schools with teams closest to your area are Los Gatos and Calvary Chapel drawing from the Monterey area. There is substantial effort afoot to build new teams at Albany High and in Lake County
    The League puts on 5 Camps a year at China Camp, Tamarancho, and most recently the NORBA Camp at Santa Cruz. The signs were up because the althletes were ridng at race speeds, not normally done on the Santa Cruz trails (that is what the locals tell us and we believe them.) We wanted to make sure that everyone was just a bit more alert; downhill yeilds to uphill but racers yeild to no one.
    This is the second year I have been down for the NORBA Camp and I am always impressed with Santa Cruz in general. There is a great vibe there.
    If you want more information about the League you can go to :
    http://www.norcalmtb.org/