• 02-04-2013
    sambs827
    NICA sprouting in Central NY
    Now that NICA has moved into New York (YESSS!!!) we're getting a local chapter together here in Oneonta. We have several dedicated (and quite talented) high school kids here in town who are all ready to go, with more likely to sign up soon. This may also be a great way to get college freshmen into biking, or attract students here to SUNY Oneonta with the chance to do NICA races their first year or two.

Our college mountain biking club has done a lot of trail work here over the past 4 years, including construction of a 2.5 mile singletrack to make a 3 mile loop directly behind the high school. This loop is mostly on Oneonta School District property with a little bit on City Parks property. Once we make a few tweaks to it we'll be campaigning to host a race here.

We have several people on board to be coaches (one head and two assistants) and I'll probably end up getting involved some way or another. Maybe helping the kids out with technical skills on a regular basis or some such. If nothing else I've been teaching a few of the kids trail construction techniques that they will take with them wherever they go and ride with them when I can.

I'm super stoked to see this moving forward and grateful for the opportunity to be part of the movement.
  • 02-07-2013
    DiRt DeViL
    Any word on anything in Onondaga? I'm sure that my kid will jump in without second thought and I'm willing to lend a hand.
  • 02-07-2013
    sambs827
    Nothing that I know of. As it is we'll be having to truck toward NYC for the races; unfortunately it seems that everything will be happening in the southern Hudson Valley/Taconic region. At least for starters.

No reason y'all can't come out for a day's ride though. About a 2 hour drive each way. I could pull together some of the kids to ride with your son if you wanted.

Like I said, we're hoping to get a race going here within the next few years. The more people we can get in favor of our trails, the more likely we are to get a race in CNY
  • 02-07-2013
    DiRt DeViL
    Keep me posted, the bikes have been replaced with snowboards for the time being but we're itching for a ride.
  • 04-23-2013
    DiRt DeViL
    Found out that b.i.k.e.-Syracuse is involved with NICA, will find out what it takes to get the kid started.
  • 04-24-2013
    sambs827
    Who's going to be at the race in Yonkers this weekend? We have at least 3 boys going with their coach, no girls (yet).
  • 04-26-2013
    DiRt DeViL
    Bike Syracuse is sending 4 boys, my kid will be joining them for the Black Fly in June.
  • 04-28-2013
    sambs827
    Two of our guys got podium in the sophomore class today down in Yonkers. Sam Baskin took 1st and Mike Bagby took 3rd. Our third guy, Noah, was in a battle for 2nd but suffered a mechanical and DNF. We're shooting for at least 3 more guys and a couple girls for the next race. WAHOO!
  • 04-28-2013
    qdawgg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    Two of our guys got podium in the sophomore class today down in Yonkers. Sam Baskin took 1st and Mike Bagby took 3rd. Our third guy, Noah, was in a battle for 2nd but suffered a mechanical and DNF. We're shooting for at least 3 more guys and a couple girls for the next race. WAHOO!

Nice job.
  • 05-07-2013
    DiRt DeViL
    Can anyone tell me where I can get the NICA rules and regulations? Was told that there are some regulations and just want to make sure we meet them before showing up for a race and be disqualified or not allowed to participate due to not following the rules.

My kid is a Junior btw.
  • 05-08-2013
    MannyL358
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post

Congrats to Sam and the rest of your team! I'm the videograher and wanted to thank him again for the interview. The kid is a star in the making!:thumbsup:

https://vimeo.com/65711984