mtbr member
    May 2016

Nica Rules on Disabled kids

Does nica have anything that would allow them to modify a course for a children with special needs? I am asking this because I am thinking about trying to start a team, but I dont know if Nica has anything reguading students with limitations such as balance?
    Last edited by XCman23; 03-14-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Livin the Dream
    I have never seen anything in the rulebook in regards to this. I can tell you that in our league there was a young rider who was missing a leg, and he competed with everyone else. You might was to contact your league director. They are extremely helpful with any and all questions.
    2016 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Agreed with Flatfoot. There is some wording about disability but league director should be able to help. If your whole team is disabled, that would be a very good conversation. "Inclusive" is a core principle.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Formerly of Kent
    Don't know much about NICA racing, other than it sounds like a great way to get kids into the sport.

But, to the OP:

I wholeheartedly commend you. Seriously. Deep in my cold, black heart, I have a very, very soft spot for disabled children. I'm actually tearing up a bit as I type this. If your team takes donations, I'd be very happy to help in some small way, with what little money I have (grad student on GI Bill).
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think I saw the one legged racer you may be talking about. California?? I would like to show some of our lazy ass students what a real man looks like!
    Last year we had some very talented riders but they created a lot of drama. Team is down to two kids now but they work their butts off, don't complain, have a great time and even though they don't have the awesome genetics of others they do very well.
    It would be nice if NICA provided a class on a modified course for the disabled.
    To me its not about the results but getting the kids into a lifetime sport.

mtbr member
    NC league director here.
    Yes we can. In fact the Utah League has a program for kids with differing needs.

It's going to depend on the resources the league has though. Contact your local League Director and have a conversation.