Twin Six METAL

New Junior Development Team

Twin Six (Home - TWIN SIX - Alternative Cycling Apparel) and SpeedWorks Coaching Group, LLC (Speedworks Coaching Group) have teamed up to create a new Junior Development team. The Twin Six Junior METAL Squad is currently seeking junior racer aged 12-18 for our team roster.

If you or someone you know is interested, have them send a race resume, along with a 60 word essay on why they think they're Metal enough for the team!

I am currently lining up some great sponsors for the team, and will be running this team as a development squad. I am a USA Cycling Certified Level 1 Elite coach, and have served as the USA Cycling Junior Development and Talent ID Camp Head Coach for the past 2 years and will be back again for 2014. I have a proven track record working with junior racers and look forward to helping these juniors develop as athletes!

Please, spread the word to anyone you know who might be interested. Email applications to mark (at) twinsix (dot) com.

Thanks!!!
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

It's about showing up.
    I'd be more interested if developers were willing to support NICA teams. I have watched over the years as USA Cycling and other "development" types stand at the NICA/NorCal podiums to harvest the riders everyone else has worked so hard to start, fund/supply, support, develop and train and then act like they are doing everyone a favor.
    I don't rattle.

Twin Six METAL
    Mike, I appreciate where you're coming from. One of the SpeedWorks coaches who is involved with this is a NICA coach, and is helping get things started in New York. The intent of this is not to take anyone away from a current program, but rather to get those out there who don't have a program that they are working with, or even have one near them at all, and help develop them and teach them the skills and how to be a productive part of they cycling community. I know the type of organization you are speaking about in your post, I know them too well actually!

It's about showing up.
    I appreciate your gracious response to a natty problem. I have had NICA Coaches, none the wiser, bring in friends they believe are assets. They see the resource we have developed and start inviting our charges away to their programs. Some times this is done in the guise of "mentoring" or enrichment but it is poaching plain and simple. Confronting this for what it is is a challenge.
    I don't rattle.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by sworkspilot View Post
    The intent of this is not to take anyone away from a current program, but rather to get those out there who don't have a program that they are working with, or even have one near them at all!
    And yet you posted in the NICA sub forum. Who did you think you were going to find?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Twin Six METAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    And yet you posted in the NICA sub forum. Who did you think you were going to find?
    Believe it or not, there aren't a lot of states that currently have NICA programs. At this time, less than 1/4 of states have organized scholastic programs. While I wish that weren't the case, it is. This was posted in several forums. The reason for posting it in the NICA forum, is for the kid that looks to this forum for info on their home state, only to find out there isn't a program there (yet). This gives them an option to join a program that will help to develop them.

Not sure why there is so much hate for a development program on here. Personally, I think any program that is designed with the benefit of the child in mind is a good thing. There are so many bogus coaches and programs out there, that if I saw someone with a credible background, who knows their stuff about junior development putting together a program, I'd be all for it. We need more diversity out there, not less!

It's about showing up.
    To suggest that concern for poaching is simply hate is dismissive and I won't have that. As one who has developed such programs for over 15 years from startup, through program design, sponsorship development, community development, working with the school districts and local agencies, building alliance and trust with families I think I deserve more than that.

Silentfoe has asked a fair question and you have responded clearly. That you step into an arena already experienced with folks who simply show up after all the hard work is down and poach puts you in a position to hear about it. It is a part of the landscape.

That your intention is to provide and alternative is something I will take at face value. I would hope for the same from you.
    I don't rattle.

Twin Six METAL
    Fair enough. And I appreciate the hard work you and everyone who has been working thanklessly to build the NICA program have put into it. I think it's great, and would love to see it expand to all 48 of the continental states. I'm sure it would help the cycling community here in Oklahoma.

As I expressed before, I do know what you are talking about with the poaching of athletes. That is not the intent of this post, or this program. As an individual coach, I have had athletes "poached" from me as well. Although I took a slightly different look at it in the most recent case. The team that approached one of my athletes has their own coaches, and told my athlete that she would no longer be able to work with me, even though I got her to the level at which they wanted this athlete. I did some research on this other team, program, whatever you'd like to call it, and found that they offered support which I could never match. I don't have sponsors for the athletes that I coach individually, and this group brought a lot of big sponsors. In the end, after talking with other cyclists in this program, and who had come up through this program, I wrote a letter of recommendation for my athlete. Sometimes you have to look at what you can do for the athlete vs what others can offer and determine the best interest of the athlete.

I am in no way saying that my program is better than what you have going. In fact, due to it's infancy, I'm positive that an established program has many benefits that we won't be able to offer for some time. What I am saying is that maybe some of the poaching that you are seeing is a testament to what you have created, and might be in the best interest to the athletes that are picked up. Then again, not always!

mtbr member
    I thought this forum was for NICA/High School/Collegiate racing topics. Not exclusively NICA.

Your Best Friend
    Touché
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

It's about showing up.
    "I thought this forum was for NICA/High School/Collegiate racing topics. Not exclusively NICA."

I don't think this comment relevant. If you follow the thread you can see how it got to NICA/NorCal. I don't think it is definition of the forum but the focus of the topic where these leagues were used for examples.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Mike, you missed the point. Silentfoe mentioned that the original poster had brought this up in what he considered a NICA subforum. I merely pointed out that the forum was more than just NICA, hence an appropriate place to put it. I think Silentfoe pretty much agreed with me.

It's about showing up.
    We disagree about the process of the discussion in its major flow.
    I don't rattle.

I've never had a Pliny
    Hey Sworkspilot, any update on the junior program? I looked for info on SpeedWorks and TwinSix but can't find anything.