mtbr member

NCAA $2K stipend/Collegiate MTB

I'm concerned about the affect this $2000 stipend the NCAA just voted up is going to have on collegiate mountain biking. The whole scene has really started to take off the last couple years and there are a number of schools throwing a decent amount of money at cycling. It's a significant step in securing our international dominance for years to come. Now the new student athlete stipend is optional. The schools don't have to pay it. My guess is you'll be left out of the loop entirely on talent if you don't. Any school that has the slightest desire to be competitive is gonna be forced to ante up. The concern is that this is going to result in lots of non revenue men's sports getting cut. The Women's sports and anything making money will be fine. On a larger scale everyone will probably blame Title IX. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I reread your comment when I wasn't barely awake and I think it makes sense now. First of all, I'm not sure why they feel like student athletes need a stipend. I know it's awesome to have, but all the other college kids are broke too so not sure why athletes are different. I'm with you in thinking that it might create some problems, but hopefully that won't be the case. On the flip side, lots of big sport programs have endowments just for those programs so maybe this will just allow the schools to take money out of that pot and give it to the student athletes, which they couldn't do before. Like you said though, why don't we just blame everything on Title IX and call it a day?
    Last edited by genemk; 10-28-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    well i don't know about other sports getting potentially cut, but i sure as hell wouldn't mind getting a stipend to race my mountain bike here at college.
    wishes Iowa had mountains

'11 Transition Bottlerocket frankenbuild
    '09 Origin-8 Interrogator frankenbuild
    '80 Rumme

slap happy
    hell something like this makes me want to go back to school lol
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

mtbr member
    The NCAA just approved a huge sweeping package of reforms. Many of the new policies affect recruiting. The one I'm referring to is an allowance for a stipend of up to $2000 per year that's intended to be spending money. Of course all student athletes at a given school male or female will receive the same stipend. It's part of a move to curb illegal payments to these kids. In reality it's going to result in lots of smaller schools getting priced out of a bunch of sports. We're talking millions of dollars a year for lots of these schools. Like I said it's the non revenue mens sports that'll get cut.

mtbr member
    "You just heard president Emmert say that some conferences will, some conferences won't. Well gee, I wonder who will, and I wonder who won't," he said to laughter. "I think I know the answer to that. The haves will, and the have-nots will try -- I'll try -- but many will not be able to."

Robert Kustra, president of Boise State on the "concession" of making the payments optional. Boise State has a considerable amount of money for a school outside of a major conference. If they're concerned about being able to afford it that's alarming.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I don't think any cycling athletes received a stipend. As far as I know all cycling teams are usually "club" status and get very little from the school. We payed a decent amount out of pocket each year to get to Nationals, some years were better than others. It all depends on the specific school.

I know Fort Lewis in Durango recruits and gives scholarships to cyclists, wish more schools were like them. They have produced some serious riders.

I could care less if the Jonny B-Ball loses $2k a month, those guys need a bit of a reality check anyway.

Stray Bullet
    This has no effect on collegiate cycling programs of any sort. The NCAA doesn't recognize cycling in any form. Any collegiate cycling program would be club based.

mtbr member
    Incorrect. There are 15 full Varsity cycling teams in the US that are scholarship eligible. We have 3 in the immediate area here that give large scholarships to cyclists. I dated a girl that got a significant scholarship from a local college for mountain biking. She had to take NCAA ordered drug tests on a regular basis. There are even D-1 athletic programs with varsity cycling teams.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    Incorrect. There are 15 full Varsity cycling teams in the US that are scholarship eligible. We have 3 in the immediate area here that give large scholarships to cyclists. I dated a girl that got a significant scholarship from a local college for mountain biking. She had to take NCAA ordered drug tests on a regular basis. There are even D-1 athletic programs with varsity cycling teams.
    What schools?

According to the NCAA site I don't cycling listed anywhere.
    NCAA Championships - NCAA.org

Just because scholarships are given doesn't mean it is a NCAA sport.

mtbr member
    That's because you're looking at the page for the various NCAA Championship series'. The NCAA doesn't manage a championship for cycling. USA Cycling manages it. They are still subject to NCAA oversight of collegiate varsity sports. All varsity athletics are.

16 Excuse me:
    Brevard College, Centenary College, Cumberland University, Fort Lewis College, King College, Lees-McRae College, Lindenwood University, Lindsey Wilson College, Marian University, Mars Hill College, Midwestern State University, Milligan College, Pfeiffer University, Ripon College, Warren Wilson College, and Union College

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    That's because you're looking at the page for the various NCAA Championship series'. The NCAA doesn't manage a championship for cycling. USA Cycling manages it. They are still subject to NCAA oversight of collegiate varsity sports. All varsity athletics are.

16 Excuse me:
    Brevard College, Centenary College, Cumberland University, Fort Lewis College, King College, Lees-McRae College, Lindenwood University, Lindsey Wilson College, Marian University, Mars Hill College, Midwestern State University, Milligan College, Pfeiffer University, Ripon College, Warren Wilson College, and Union College
    I've checked Fort Lewis and Union College neither list cycling on their NCAA sport site. The scholarships at Fort Lewis are not adminstered through the athletic department. Rather a private foundaion oversess them.
    Scholarship Info

Just because they compete against other schools doesn't make it a NCAA sport.

Can you show me a link on NCAA.org that says they regulate cycling?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I went to Colorado State and raced collegiate mtb. Cycling is a club sport there. as far as I know, most other schools' teams are club sports as well. I never heard of any stipend but then I was not involved in any of the financial discussions about the team and/or club sports.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Most of the high level cycling programs at the collegiate level are road biking. Mtn biking, while getting more popular, is still the "Snowboarding" to road biking's "Skiing" in most schools. the mountain states and the west coast states being the exception, in some cases.

Would be sick if collegiate mtn biking takes off though. With high school mtn biking becoming more popular it is only a matter of time i think.
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    I ride for the Cal Poly Wheelmen. I'd say 90% of the teams that race are a club sport. Our school does next to nothing for us. It's pretty cool to be a fully student run organization, It can be difficult and expensive, but you have more freedom.
    We sent 11 people to nationals last week and had 11 racers, all supporting each other. It seemed like the varsity schools riders had a coach there holding their hand the whole time, didn't look as fun...
    There is plenty of recruiting already going on by the varsity schools, but club schools can defiantly still be competitive, look at CU Boulder, Humboldt, and Poly...