mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Natl Mtn Bike Racing Sanction For Kids?

My son races bmx and has been doing quite a bit of mtn biking lately and was asking me if theirs a National sanctioning body similar to bmx's ABA bmx who holds national events. I know USA cycling hosts the national championships, but do they have a national series which focuses on boys & girls under 18?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'd like to follow this discussion as well. I know there are kid events at a lot of the Texas races, but don't know about governing bodies or anything.
    7 yo BMXer/MTBer -modded 20" GT Stomper.
    2 yo BMXer -Haro Micro and custom 3spd Specialized.
    '97 Gary Fisher Aquila.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My son also does both, the only thing I have seen taylored to the under 18 crowd is the High School leagues in a few states. Leagues – NICA I believe this year they have entered Utah and Texas and growing fast, we are hoping it comes to Nevada in the next few years before he hits High School.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    USA Cycling's national series has age categories every two years down to 10 and under. A youth only league seems like an interesting quest, but I can tell you that the fastest kids in the country are competing in those USA Cycling National categories, for XC anyways.

HS Racing Development
    Feb 2012

Nevada High School MTB racing

Quote Originally Posted by krud View Post
    My son also does both, the only thing I have seen taylored to the under 18 crowd is the High School leagues in a few states. Leagues NICA I believe this year they have entered Utah and Texas and growing fast, we are hoping it comes to Nevada in the next few years before he hits High School.
    I'm trying to help form a high school team for next year to race in the SoCal series (SoCal), my son starts at Desert Oasis this fall and wants to participate. I have been in contact with the SoCal league director and high school students can race as "Independent" to race in their series right now!

I would like to see Nevada get a League started in the next few years and I am currently doing the research on what is involved in the process. Feel free to contact me.

Chris

It's about showing up.
    So far....the answer is no.

Traditionally kids have been left to their own individual devices to develop as riders and racers. USA Cycling and Professional Coaches tend to show up when that really difficult part of the work is already done. You should see them line up at the NICA gates to cherry pick.

In the NorCal League, which started the first truly successful High School Racing movement, it was clear from day one that the purpose of the League was not to develop riders for someones U23 program but to develop high quality riders to enjoy the sport in some life-long sense. Oh, there are still racer-heads and over-reaching parents and coaches but they also make a nice contribution in their own way. The major fruit is the riding together.

In my years of developing riders, even with the NorCal evolution, I have constantly been asked for other programs to support younger age groups. While I developed the first true MTB program for the YMCA it was limited to 1 week per summer. Even such programs as those are very rare. Beyond that a racing/training circumstance for teens/tweens/and youngsters is nearly unheard of unless you suss-out a professional coach.

What is wanted, and key to the formation of any team in NorCal, is a kid who loves to ride and a parent who has the motivation to create the situation. For example, nv.highschool.mtb is that sort of person and fortunately is anticipating formation of an organization well ahead of time so that when his kid is in high school the program will be there.

I would suggest that you make contact with NICA to see what is developing in your area:

NICA

Beyond that I would encourage you to try and support the movement. You will not only create a "place" for your kid to ride but develop a riding society of fellow riders beyond a few dudes at the trailhead. You will never look at mountain biking the same way again. It has to start somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Natl Mtn Bike Racing Sanction For Kids?-ecci28301.jpg  

I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridemtn View Post
    I can tell you that the fastest kids in the country are competing in those USA Cycling National categories, for XC anyways.
    And I can tell you that since the development of the High School Leagues those categories are jammed with League racers. The fund of accomplished riders burgeons with a developmental program. USA Cycling is hardly what I would call a developmental program.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ridemtn View Post
    USA Cycling's national series has age categories every two years down to 10 and under. A youth only league seems like an interesting quest, but I can tell you that the fastest kids in the country are competing in those USA Cycling National categories, for XC anyways.
    2011 USA Cycling MTB championship 7/14-15/11- Finish placement of NICA riders (top 10 only):

Men - Cat 1 - Junior - 15-16: 1, 6, 9, 10

Men - Cat 1 - Junior - 17-18: 4, 5, 6, 9, 10

Women - Cat 1 - Junior - 15-16: 1, 3

Women - Cat 1 - Junior - 17-18; 3, 4, 5, 6, 10

Men - Cat 2 - Junior - 15-18: 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10