mtbr member

We the people ... MTB High School clubs

I've been trying for a few years to get a mtb club started at our high school and have a bunch of friends who are interested and an advisor will not be hard to find, but when I approached my principal with the idea she said it won't work because of liability issues. Has anyone successfully started a high school mtb club? Ideas? I heard Gary Fisher talking about bay area mtb clubs so these must exist. (found here)

Really want to start this club both to introduce people in my school to mtb and start a competetive junior race team. Anything that would help me to get this started will be enormously appreciated.
    [SIZE="4"]
    Mountain biking for beginners
    [/SIZE]
    A site dedicated to helping beginners

mtbr member

This may help...

Check this organization out

http://www.norcalmtb.org/index.html

mtbr member
    I have...

It was easy, I got a teacher to sponsor my club, and now its like any other club in our school. I assume you live in Cali, thats the only place where there are High School MTB Racing leagues.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA. My high school team isnt a race team by any means. I race with the shop that I work at, and there arnt too many junior events around here anyway. My club is a bunch of kids who all like to ride, some faster than others. I would love to get the faster guys to race with me at any race (Big Bear and 7 Springs 24 Hr's are close). I personally did a race at a park called Moraine State Park, I got 2nd for 18 year olds and my school put it on the TV announcements that we have after 2 of our 4 classes a day. It was cool, it got a few more people to come out and ride with the club. I started my club for the spring of my Sophomore year, I am now a Senior and have almost tripled the amount of people that have signed up for the club. On a good day, we will have somewhere between 15-25 riders all in one local park, its pretty cool to see my creation such a popular club in my school.

My School is pretty cool about letting students set up clubs, they told us that we would have to either get waivers signed, or just explain the dangers of mountain biking to all the guys riding. It turned out that everyone that came out had MTB'd before, so I didnt have to explain much, 5 min tops. My suggestion would be to ask the principal if you can have a waiver drafted, and submitted for review. If that gets shot down, go around the school. You can get around the school by not being a school affiliated sport, you have your own team name, that dosnt have the school's name in it anywhere.

mtbr member
    My School is pretty cool about letting students set up clubs, they told us that we would have to either get waivers signed, or just explain the dangers of mountain biking to all the guys riding. It turned out that everyone that came out had MTB'd before, so I didnt have to explain much, 5 min tops. My suggestion would be to ask the principal if you can have a waiver drafted, and submitted for review. If that gets shot down, go around the school. You can get around the school by not being a school affiliated sport, you have your own team name, that dosnt have the school's name in it anywhere.
    That's some great advice, I'll try to set it up as an independent team if approaching the principal with waivers doesn't work.
    Last edited by lampy29; 12-03-2008 at 03:17 PM.
    [SIZE="4"]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Talk to Berkeley Mike at the North California forum. He was the head coach and organizer of the Norcal league I think (last year).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    I have...

It was easy, I got a teacher to sponsor my club, and now its like any other club in our school. I assume you live in Cali, thats the only place where there are High School MTB Racing leagues.

My son is looking to start one up in the spring at his high school - thanks for the tips!!

MTBing is pretty popular around here so I'm hoping it works out like it did for you.

mtbr member
    I have also......
    First thing you have to do is get and adult/teacher that will "host" the rides.
    Alos offer to make everyone sign a waver.... they will think it is a good idea but it will never fall through

Just let them know that there will be an adult involver and approch you're principal again
    "A Fifth of Yager, a four pack or Red Bull, and a full suspension mountain bike, now thats quite a combo."

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I don't understand the 'liability" issue because if they have football, baseball, and other physical sports they have the same issue as well. In fact, I'd say football is a more dangerous sport in terms of liability than mt biking is in my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    I don't understand the 'liability" issue because if they have football
    Tried to get a paintball club started last year, and it got blocked by the administration because of liability - even though the only way to get injured is by taking off your mask in the middle of a game and then be shot in the eye even though you're more likely to get injured playing touch football in gym than playing paintball it was too much risk for the school to handle.

Jesus, if everyone weren't such puss... about liability and lawsuits the world would be such a better place (more fun too)...
    [SIZE="4"]
    [/SIZE]

UF Engineering Slave
    You might try passing it off as a 'Cycling' club. Allow both roadies and MTB's in. People are generally more open to cycling in general than MTB (after all, the TDF is the most popular sporting event in the world)

Also, if your really dedicated and they keep shooting you down you could try finding some evidence to show the relative safety of mountain biking (IMBA might be able to help), maybe even go over the principal's head to the school board (as a last resort). If you can show that MTB is safer than other existing sports, they have no reason to shoot you down.

Good luck!

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Not worth it...

Screw it. I've pulled together a team of friends to compete in the local 24 hour race, so I'm not going to bother with a high school club, rather focus on my riding / training than with the bureaucracy of my school. While I do want to bring others into the sport this doesn't seem to be the best way...

Sad it has to be this way.
    [SIZE="4"]
    [/SIZE]