Bro
    Where I do my thinking

Moving to college and stuff....

So, I'm currently in the Bay Area, California. Been here all my life. As of next week, I'll be living on campus as a freshman at UNR. I've already got my eye on joining the cycling team, looked through their website, joined the mail group, all that stuff. I can't wait. It looks like I'll be able to ride up actual mountains and on trails that are less than four feet wide and actually have some technical element to them. It looks like if I do start racing, I'll be able to see my friends at some of the UCs, too.

So yea, just saying hi, wazzup, whatever. And yes, I do say "hella" a lot. It's a central/NorCal thing.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Short-Change-Hero
    Welcome to N.NV. You will have an adjustment period to the altitude and dryness but you could not ask for some better places to ride. Up by UNR there is PEAVINE trails which will be your closest set. Lots of good stuff there I have heard (I am down in Carson so dont get up there much) and there are quite a few trails spread out through Reno. Quick jaunt to Truckee/Tahoe will net you some world class trails, epic rides, and incredible scenery.

Congrats, have fun, and have a few beers at the TKE house for me!
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I was in Gardnerville over the weekend last weekend for a Basque festival. I spent probably half the time looking at the surrounding mountains, trying to see where some good trails would be.

I'll miss this place, but it does seem like there's some hella nice riding up there. I'm correct in assuming there are some nice road routes too?

And do you mean to say that the move from straight-sea level, walking distance to the ocean, all the way to 4500 feet elevation, semi-desert is going to faze me?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL.. it will more than you will ever know. The good thing is that inverse will happen when you go back home and ride with your buddies, you will have lungs for days!!!! In G-ville there is one major course on the very east side of town, the PineNut, where every year the do the first race of the year the Pinenut Cracker. If you are looking more towards Tahoe, well there is more riding there than you could ever get bored by. Carson City has about three, well-known, trailheads (Ash Canyon, Centennial Park, Prison Hill) and there is a ton in Reno. You really will not be missing out on much.

One bad thing that I find is that unless you are in Tahoe the trails are not very well marked so there will be a lot of exploring that must be done before you really get to know the area.

And you will learn, here there is not many trails that you can do without climbing to start (and lots of it). So if nothing else, you will get to work on your climbing skills.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Bro
    Where I do my thinking

Climbing?

Homie, there are no trails around here that don't go up mountains/hills/whatever you want to call them. I may suck at climbing, but I do try to climb a lot. Well, a lot for me, anyways.

I figure I'll join the cycling team at school on their rides, but they all seem to be evening/night rides. I just fixed my class schedule again, and it looks like I'll have time for some morning rides once I get to know the area, depending on when I'm working. Because I gotta get a job. Student loans suck.

weirdo
    Howdy, Erik- welcome to the desert! Yeah, I`m sure the altitude will give you some burning lungs for a little while, but it isn`t like you`re moving to the Andes. You won`t die even from the sart, and after a month or so I bet you`re over it completely. Getting used to seeing dry vegetation all over the place might turn out to be the tough part!

Living on campus will put you in a great location from an mtb standpoint. Like Greg said, Peavine is our biggest trail system, and the biggest trailhead is only ten minutes ride from the dorms. Get what you can as far as work, but if you end up with a choice, look for mornings off. There`s no shade on the mountain, so it gets hot in a hurry on summer afternoons. In the springtime, the mud is attrocious, so best to ride early before it thaws out.

Road routes? That depends on exactly what area you`re asking about and how far you`re willing to go. Fair to middlin right around Reno, very nice around Carson Valley, awesome an hour away in the Sierra. I`m more roadie than mtber now, so if pavement is your kick, don`t be afraid to drop me a PM for route ideas or riding.

Hmmmmm
    Wow another Erik from the Bay Area.
    If you get the chance drop in on the Seismology lab at UNR and see if Dr. Ken Smith has any coeds around. I talk to him once in awhile regarding strange ground motions in the Las Vegas area.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I also go to Unr but just recently got into Mtn biking so I need to find some trails and friends to bike with too lol
    I was born in San jose so I don't kind the word Hella haha
    But any other good trails everyone else knows around Dayton, Carson, Gardnerville, etc? I commute from Dayton but want some insight

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme4002 View Post
    I also go to Unr but just recently got into Mtn biking so I need to find some trails and friends to bike with too lol
    I was born in San jose so I don't kind the word Hella haha
    But any other good trails everyone else knows around Dayton, Carson, Gardnerville, etc? I commute from Dayton but want some insight
    There's a cycling team just for that.... The first meeting was last night, at the Knowledge Center. The next meeting should be two weeks from yesterday, at 8 PM in the Alan Bible Room in the Mathewson Knowlege Center. Drop in!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Oh sweet man... that would be sick I will have to try and make it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    any of you guys know of any good trails in carson, dayton, or gardnerville area? Or any one in the dayton area

washed-up moto guy
    Hey guys, good to hear about more MTB imports. As others have said, the area is chalk-full of riding. Great Basin Bicycles is a great resource.

Keystone Canyon is one of the most popular areas in Reno due to it's proximity to the school, and it has a lot of fun terrain [The Peavine Downhill, The Halo Trail (awesome 24 mile loop that traces a series of ridgelines], Bobsled, etc.). Unfortunately, there are no trees to be found so you can go through water pretty darn fast out there, and it gets really sun-baked/chewed up early on. Below are a few links to a couple of my rides in the Keystone/Peavine area:
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Evans-Keystone-Bobsled-Evans near Reno | Times and Records | Strava
    Bike Ride Profile | keystone-halo-evan's canyon loop near Reno | Times and Records | Strava

A much better area IMO is the whole Galena area. The trails are almost always in the pine trees, have very good flow, and have a lot of potential to be linked together for longer ride. Below are some of my rides in Galena:
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Whites-Galena-Thomas-Whites near Reno | Times and Records | Strava
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Galena Loop near Reno | Times and Records | Strava

Another area in Reno is Canoe Hill in Spanish Springs (Northeast end of the valley). To get there take the Vista Drive exit for about 8 miles all the way to Golden Eagle Regional Park. The riding is very rocky technical singletrack with a super challenging/fun ascent/descent of about 600 feet in 1 mile with 30+- switchbacks called the zipper.

An area to the east is Hidden Valley. My suggestion is that you stay on the lower hidden valley loop. That is a fun network of looping singletrack options that are in a really small area at Hidden Valley Park. Upper Hidden Valley is atrocious. A VERY long and boring uphill fire road that goes all the way down to South Meadows, all to loop back and take you on some of the sketchiest, narrowest, and most blown out singletrack ever. Below is a link to both:
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Lower Hidden Valley Laps w/ Wife near Reno | Times and Records | Strava
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Upper Hidden Valley near Reno | Times and Records | Strava

Concerning Carson, gregnash is the Captain of that area no doubt. As he said, Ash Canyon (by WNC) is a fun area that has looping potential.

Gardnerville has endless, and I mean ENDLESS singletrack in the Pinenut Mountains (eastern range). Go south through town and turn left at the stoplight at Pinenut Road. Follow it to where you will see on my link below. (Although my work takes me to Minden frequently, I don't get out to ride there much, so I have just a very short ride documented out there.)
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Fairgrounds-The Tree-Suicide- near Gardnerville | Times and Records | Strava

Tahoe is amazingly gorgeous, and the riding is good, but it is very crowded compared to the trails in the lower valleys. South Lake Tahoe has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which is the closest thing to North Shore style riding that we have around the lake. The Rim Trail is okay. Nothing too special other than the views, and it is always crowded and there are quite a few hike-a-bike sections. Below is a link to a ride from Mt. Rose along the TRT to Marlette Lake and down the Flume.
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | TRT - Mt. Rose-Twin Lakes-Marlette-Flume near Reno | Times and Records | Strava
    ---------------------------------------
    WARNING: Roadie Content Below

This forum can get a little volatile if road riding is even mentioned, but I will throw in a few links with info about local riding in the area.

First, don't ride McCarran as a loop. The constant traffic and lack of margins is very dangerous. My favorite area is Spanish Springs/Hungry Valley/Lemon Valley, as it has very low traffic for the amount of elevation changes that are available. Verdi is another great area for the lack of traffic, as is Southwest Reno. Hidden Valley is good for intervals. Geiger Grade is the best grade in the immediate area due to the generally low traffic (start before 7:00AM and you will have a pretty lonely butt kicker of a ride). Mt. Rose has the highest climb by about 300 feet, but is pretty sketchy as it is always crowded and has no shoulder in many spots. Below are links to some of my Reno area road rides:
    Bike Ride Profile | Verdi Out and Back near Sparks | Times and Records | Strava
    Bike Ride Profile | Hidden Valley near Reno | Times and Records | Strava
    Bike Ride Profile | Geiger Grade near Reno | Times and Records | Strava
    Bike Ride Profile | Rattlesnake cut short by work near Reno | Times and Records | Strava
    Bike Ride Profile | Hidden Valley-Spanish Springs near Reno | Times and Records | Strava

The Death Ride encompasses alot of passes that have bad shoulders in most cases (as all mountain passes do), but low traffic. Below is a link to that as well:
    Bike Ride Profile | Death Ride near Markleeville | Times and Records | Strava

Wow, that was a long post.... Hopefully it gives you enough info to get started. I usually ride 3-4 days/week, so I am always game to head out with some new folks, but I won't be back to that level for about another month as I am recovering from a moto accident.

Anyways, enjoy, and go ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cool thanks

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Magnum.... I hope you know that I now have two of those road rides in different tabs on my browser, and I've now joined Strava.

By the way, I went on my first mountain bike ride up here the other day. I was supposed to meet the cycling team, but I got wrong directions. I ended up at the Basque Monument off McCarren, so I'll be going up there for photos and stuff again. I'm half Basque, and I take a great deal of pride in that. Anyways, I found this dude who was riding with his dog. I'm pretty sure his name was Danny? He showed me around Keystone and Evans Canyons... I was a bit out of my element, technical-wise, but I didn't spill. I only walked twice. I found three thorns in each tire, so I re-did the tubeless set-up on my front tire. But yea. I'm going again tomorrow morning.

For a short ride, it was ****ing great.

weirdo
    >"WARNING: Roadie Content Below

This forum can get a little volatile if road riding is even mentioned, but I will throw in a few links with info about local riding in the area."<
    ???
    Not sure if you`re joking or not, Mag, but I wouldn`t worry about that. It might be the case in some of the other subsections here on mtbr (I don`t go to any but Commuting and NV any more, so couldn`t say), but no worries on either of these two subforums. In fact, I think Commuting has more road content than mtb. It`s all welcome. On the flip side, rbr (the "mtbr`s "roadie" little sister) welcomes dirt with open arms also, so if you happen to wander between the two sites, there`s no shame. You might even find a lot of familiar names over on the "other side". On with the show

@Erik: Cool- glad you had a nice ride! The Basque monument is actually part of Rancho San Rafael, and is right there by the trails, as you probably noticed. Are you sure you followed the wrong directions? That`s possible, but also possible that you got the right place and the wrong time.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    @Erik: Cool- glad you had a nice ride! The Basque monument is actually part of Rancho San Rafael, and is right there by the trails, as you probably noticed. Are you sure you followed the wrong directions? That`s possible, but also possible that you got the right place and the wrong time.
    The dude said to meet at the campus softball fields (northeast corner of campus), but he told me that it was around Virginia and McCarren (northwest corner of campus). So I decided to head towards Virginia and McCarren because I knew we were supposed to be riding up in that direction anyways.....

Not sure if you`re joking or not, Mag, but I wouldn`t worry about that. It might be the case in some of the other subsections here on mtbr
    Hell man, we even have a CX forum on here now. And there's even occasional roadie content in the singlespeed forum. If that ain't ironic, I think we're doing it wrong.

Short-Change-Hero
    Glad that you finally got out and rode. You will find that the mountain biking community around here is really friendly and most will be more than happy to help you where ever you may be.

As Magnum said, you cannot get any better views than up in Tahoe but EVERYONE knows about it up there and so the trails can become somewhat packed especially trails like TRT, Flume and the other major trails. I went with my brother in law a few weeks back and did the Emigrant Trail in Truckee. I have to say that was a seriously fun ride and while we did see quite a few people, it was not so much that it caused any problems while riding. I definitely recommend getting up there and doing the ride. When you do though, park at the Donner Camp Commerative parking area as it is much easier to start there and you dont have to worry about crossing 89 or parking off the road on Alder Creek Rd.

Hoping in a couple weeks here that the brother-in-law and I will be able to do Mt. Rose to Spooner.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Glad that you finally got out and rode. You will find that the mountain biking community around here is really friendly and most will be more than happy to help you where ever you may be.
    I went out again this morning.... I was supposed to meet the team, but another dude and I went to the wrong softball fields, so we kinda missed the rest of the team.... I didn't want to waste a good morning on simply going back home. So I went out by myself.... (I know, I know....)

That said, I've heard about the snakes up here. I haven't seen anything on the Nevada forum specifically about that stuff. Obviously riding with someone else is better, but would it be a good idea to carry a snakebite kit or something similar anyways? Where I'm from, all we had were fireroads above the town and garter snakes.... And mountain lions and bobcats and stuff.... But they're just big pussies.

washed-up moto guy
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Magnum.... I hope you know that I now have two of those road rides in different tabs on my browser, and I've now joined Strava.
    Good to hear man! It's an awesome training tool for sure. Hopefully I can get back at it in a month and get back on it!

>It might be the case in some of the other subsections here on mtbr (I don`t go to any but Commuting and NV any more, so couldn`t say)
    That would make sense. Head over to any slightly more gravity-oriented sub-forums and things are a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    would it be a good idea to carry a snakebite kit or something similar anyways?
    Not a bad idea. I for one don't carry one, and haven't a clue where to pick one up, but it wouldn't hurt. I must say though, I haven't seen enough snakes on the trail to make me second guess riding in a certain area.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum357 View Post
    That would make sense. Head over to any slightly more gravity-oriented sub-forums and things are a little different.
    I`ll just take your word for it- I kind of like it here under my own little rock.

Oh yeah, rattlesnakes. I see snakes fairly often, but very seldom rattlers. Apparently they`re out there, but either they their habitats don`t often coincide with mine or they know I`m comming and clear out. On a worry scale, I`m much more concerned that the UPS driver will crush the culvert in my driveway again.
    By the way, aren`t those little snakebite kits now relegated to the PT Barnum Folk Medicine department? I thought the current "prefered method" of dealing with them was calm, constiction bandage, and a visit to ER as soon as reasonably possible.

Short-Change-Hero
    Only run across one rattler so far this year and that was on a fireroad not even singletrack. I have run over and seen a few bull snakes and gopher snakes but that is really the extent of the "reptilian" wildlife I have seen.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)