mtbr member

New question here. How do I get support/funding for a new team?

A quick question but hopefully a lot of good answers will be givin. I am looking to start a high school mtb team however I need funding and recognition by international organizations to begin this daunting but rewarding task. So how do I go about this. I have discovered that founding a new team is quite difficult. Can you guys help?
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Find as many parents as possible that want to form booster clubs, preferably wealthy parents with lots of pull at good companies who want to advertise. Bike shops can put their names on things but they are not where the money is. Rich parents of kids who ride are where the money is.

Good luck. It has to start with a group of kids who really like to ride. You can found and fund a wonderful team with great vision but if the kids won't show up each day you're done.

mtbr member
    Thats true, but I live in a town with less than 3500 people. That means that that there are very few rich kids to get funds from. Most of my support will come from schools or school district funding.... See my problem?
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    I completely understand as I've tried without success.

You won't find district funding or school funding. It doesn't exist. When funding is available it will go to stick and ball sports unless the number of active riders in the group match the football or baseball team.

You'll have to raise all the funds yourselves and have a dedicated group of riders who always show, always ride and who's parents have funds. time and transportation to fully support their kid.

That's how it works. This is why my school has no team. If you have a diehard and dedicated group of riders then you'll be able to make something happen.

It's about showing up.
    Your team will evolve to the level of resources. Dedication by riders, support from parents, finances and such will cull the wannabes, the baby sat, and the shoestringers. There is no way around it. The disappointment of the kids is an awful thought but the disappointment and frustration can take you clear out of the picture and without you nothing will happen. Nothing.

So you need to look at the cards you are holding again and be thoughtful. That said, target a small group of 2-3 and build from there. Use the early years to define what the community can support.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Thanks for prividing me some insight into this problem. I am sure that I will find a way to build a great mtb team.
    -Thoreau

It's about showing up.
    First you have to build a team that will survive. Many don't for the reasons I describe above. Over-reaching is very expensive.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    There is a webinar next Tuesday, March 11 that should address some of your questions. Sign up here.

How to Start & Manage a High School MTB Team

Presenter: Matt Gunnell, SoCal League Director

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6pm PST
    New to high school mountain bike coaching? If so, this session will provide you with the basics of how to start and manage a team. The information provided will enable you to take the steps required to get a team going!