It's about showing up.

High School Team Freezes

When we started our 8am Saturday morning ride at El Cerrito High it was 31. The Advanced riders were sent up the hill to the top of Volmer for a low intensity road climb. The new riders rode down to the Bay Trail into the teeth of the cold damp air.
    We wore our new Jersey kits of jersey, windvest and shorts. We added arm warmers or leg warmers. I had warmer clothing but decided to wear no more than my kids. It was just plain ass cold. My fellow coach and I sandwiched them and kept a modest constant pace and their faces were grim. There was cramping, misshifting, crashing, wandering, falling off the back and it occured to me that I was tense and focused. I worked them in a paceline for focus and they managed.
    I know that there are a lot of contributors to this forum from cold parts of the country who would sneer at 31 but this is the extreme where we live and danged few people ride at the extreme low temps of their climes. Looking back I can see how stressful this all was compared to how we felt when the sun came out at 10:30 and we were sipping chocolate in a shack down by the foot of University.
    They all did so well. And now we have this bond.

pewpewpew Moderator
    31 in el cerrito? Aye caramba! Your kids rock.

It's about showing up.

Thanks Impy

I'll pass your kudos onto the kids.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I give you guys props for getting out there. I was riding last Sunday in Santa Clara and nearly froze my tochalongas off. I chickened out after about 10 miles and decided to go have some coffee and try again in the afternoon . People can sneer all they want about how "warm" 31 degrees is. We live in California, everyone knows we're wimps! If I wanted to be cold I"d move to Wisconsinn

It's about showing up.

Now that I think of it

I didn't see many tochalongas strewn about.
    I stopped by one of my sponsors to deliver our new jersey and he commented at how impressed he was sas he was out that morning but climbing. He asked if we rode rain or shine and I said that getting new riders out in wet weather was yet to be done but ultimately would be normal.
    In fairness you really need the right gear to do it and the hit for new riders and their gear is steep at the beginning. That is why we built sponsor money, volume buying, and early production discounts into our Jersey kit Program. We sold a gorgeous kit of Jersey, windvest,and shorts, all custom with our branding and sponsor logos for $95. It is a great start and you should have seen the smiles.

It's about showing up.

Wednesday's ride

It pissed all day and I didn't expect to see anyone at our staging area. I cancelled a new volunteer for the ride saying I expected a very low turnout and didn't see a need to drag him out in the wet, though I knew he would go. I added a polypro liner, tights, and my whoop t' do Sugoi jacket and skull cap and headed out. If anyone showed i was going to take them out.
    When I got to the staging area I had 2 kids waiting for me and three more arrived; all beginner but one advanced. The new riders had better jackets, arm warmers, better gloves. The advanced rider was one of my most gracious and patient and he helped to stabilize the group.
    We managed to get in a ride of an hour and a half of modest pace before the light got dicey.The weather held and we had no rain. They are new and uneven but you can see that they are trying. Makes it worth showing up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Being a NYC transplant, I'm surprised I don't see more riders out there. I bike commute every day and when it's raining (even a light sprinkle) there's PLENTY of seats on Caltrain.

It's all about having the right gear. I haven't used more than a long sleeve jersey and Gore-tex jacket out here. Works pretty well.

Best of luck getting the kids to keep coming out. I really enjoy riding in the rain. The lower traction limits makes you really aware of how the bike is feeling underneath.

-Hong

It's about showing up.

Beats sitting in front of the tube

I was pleased to hear from one of the riders how much he liked riding in this weather. I told them all to look forward to big weather when we get to doing the local ridgetops and the clouds are ripping across the trail. Too cool.