mtbr member

High School Team

Hey Everyone!

I started a mountain bike team at my school out here in Pennsylvania and am getting everything established but it was suggested to me I post to the California forum.

Can anyone give me a rundown of how the school teams out here work? A PA league isn't going to happen so I'm looking for info specifically related to the setup of the teams (sponsors, practice/training, etc...)

Thanks for any help
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Last edited by pauly mac; 11-28-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: more information

It's about showing up.

Independent of a League

there are a couple of things you might consider. Unfortunately nearly all of these things have nothing to do with riding.

If this group is an on-campus activity liability comes to mind first and this is where your relationship with the school and its school district will find its strongest bond. If this is separate from the school liability is not something pressed upon you by the school but something you will need to address for your own protection.

Liability can be addressed by proper insurance, proper waivers, and voluntary background search. The GOLD package includes First Aid,, CPR and such. USAC Coaching status never hurts.

Skilled adult support is never to be undervalued. At the most modest riding level a simple responsible adult is very valuable, specially in early riding where demands should be kept low anyhow.

Supporting this wing-ding is usually a combination of volunteers, money from the kids and families, community donations and sponsorship both cash and in-kind, and grants. If you are attached to the school they may have financial resources, though I wouldn't hold my breath, and/or restrictions about how you can receive money from outside sources.

Sponsorship is something everyone seems to want but few people are very good at acquiring or maintaining. All sorts of institutions and business are inundated by people with their hand out. Key to success is presenting them with way in which your group will support their programs or businesses.

Money closer to home tends to be a bit softer. A family with a kid on your team that has a business or friends with businesses are a much softer touch, expect less in return and are a great way to get started. The local bike shop seems a great target but it is important to work out how the club can support the shop. A frank discussion with the owner about how that might best be achieved is invaluable. Sponsorship may take the form of money, discounts, and service. The behavior of your charges in this place of business is critical. I have a list of guidelines in this regard.

Getting eh kids started on bikes has all sorts of philosophical angles. I believe that early riding, to build stamina, group riding skills, shaking down bikes, learning about clothing, food and such, is best done on pave. As such the bikes, of most any kind, need only be safe and operate well. This time settles the group and those needing mountain bikes will become apparent.

mtbr member
    Thanks pauly mac and Berkley Mike! you guys were a great help!
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...