Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

High School Riders

I am 17, and a junior at a mid-missouri private high school.

I know there are some other bikers on here my age, and I would like to hear from all of you.

A few friends and I have actually developed a steriotype as bikers, and honostly I like it, hell end of last race season we had about 50 people out at our home trail to chear on our race team.

Also, I have a teacher at my school that we have gotten into mountain biking. He went out and bought a $7000 racer (his wife is rich as hell) and he is probably the strongest link of our race team.

I work in the local bike shop, and I love that also. I use to run cross country untill I realized that i was no better than averadge, so I dropped it for all-year mountain biking.

Anyone else have any storys, experiences, from other riders still in high school?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well there's a big group of us at my high school in Connecticut, we don't have any teams or anything but lots of us do it for fun and me and a couple others don't really play any other sports so we are going to try to start racing next season.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"
    -John F. Kennedy-

mtbr member
    I just encourage high school riders to get proactive- get some group rides together or something, I promise it will catch on fast
    "A Fifth of Yager, a four pack or Red Bull, and a full suspension mountain bike, now thats quite a combo."

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    missouri = Missouri
    steriotypes = stereotypes
    honostly = honestly
    chear = cheer
    untill = until
    averadge = average
    storys = stories
    Maybe you should stop riding so much and start studying.

Only giving you a hard time. Ride on buddy!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by keylay
    missouri = Missouri
    honostly = honestly
    chear = cheer
    untill = until
    averadge = average
    storys = stories
    Thanks for the laugh .
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keylay
    missouri = Missouri
    honostly = honestly
    chear = cheer
    untill = until
    averadge = average
    storys = stories

Only giving you a hard time. Ride on buddy!
    I guess that happens when you get your teachers hooked on biking.

*Contents Under Pressure
    I go to school during the week, and ride my bike on weekends.
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm a senior here in California, and all of my friends and class mates think I'm crazy because I actually enjoy a 15 mile ride every Saturday morning. Everyone of them looks at riding as straight exercise, they don't get the fun out of it... Ignorance I tell ya'

Custom User Title
    Feb 2008
    There's a 17ish year old kid who is racing in the 19-29 class at the series here. We've chatted a few times in passing, he's got a pretty bad attitude, really arrogant.

So that's my opinion of high school riders. *shrug* I don't know any others.

The #1 Expert in the state right now is an awesome guy, we hung out for a while (I wandered into his Instashade in a driving rainstorm between waves) with no attitude at all. Meanwhile, some kid six years younger than I am who's a top-five Beginner thinks he's the hot ****.
    Last edited by jkoebel; 12-01-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Crowdgather: Find It On Forums

'07 Specialized Enduro SL with '08 Suspension

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    16 here, highschool's a breeze, so I get to ride most of the time. It's really all about doing homework in segments, and understanding what you see in class

Not many people here MTB, but there's a friend who I sometimes train with, two other complete noobs who I sometimes ride with, and a few ex-mtbers.
    There's a teacher who told me that he rides with his friends, so I've been meaning to invite him to one of our rides.

Cycling is not that much of a sport around here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rode in high school and everyone thought I was that crazy kid who always rode his bike. Now I'm a teacher and I'm that crazy teacher that is always on his bike. There is one student who comes out and rides some of the group rides, but I'd kill for a team of kids to get together and look to start riding regularly.

I teach band, so I love for parade season to come around; gives me time to practice my track-stand between the kiddies (also makes them pretty nervous to keep their spacing).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Junior from bay area over here. Cali is a great place for riding, having a great time this season. No racing for me yet, been keeping in shape and having fun on my local santa cruz trails till i get into college.

Cycling over here is mainly a way to forget the pain and monotony of school and work. Theres nothing like biking up into the woods and playing outdoors for a few hours.

Probably gonna work in a bike shop this summer. Theres a couple of other kids I know that bike, most are just rich spoiled fat kids that have 6k bikes though, only a few other real guys that go out there consistently and are dedicated.

MTBR Member
    Yes, even our private schools are suffering these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm a senior, living in central Wisconsin. All year excluding winter I bike everyday, and go to the trails 15minutes away every other day. Sometimes on the weekends I go to nine mile 45minutes away. I race in WORS (wors.org) on the adventure 212 team. I used to get 4-5th place in my age category but since I got my new bike (08 stumpy 29'er hardtail) beginning of last summer, I've taken first place. Just to prove that the bike DOES matter, even if it is just a confidence booster. I am the only one in my family that bikes, so I mainly go with one close friend that I got hooked onto mountain biking, or go on a group ride. Sorry for the poor grammar and fragmented sentences, I just cant gather my thoughts now knowing that we are under a winter storm advisory... NO BIKING
    Also, I'm the only one at my school of 2500 that races WORS, or goes mountain biking a lot for that matter besides my friend.
    __ o
    _< \_
    (_)>(_) .

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride and I swear the only other person who rides in my school of 1500 is my psychology teacher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Im a sophmore in the bay area as well. I race in the norcal league. Its the best except that mountain biking doesnt count as a "sport," its just a club, so i dont get any varsity points.

mtbr member
    I'm a high school teacher in the Northeast of Vermont. I've been teaching for 9 years, and established a school mountain bike club in my first year. We are about 20 minutes from Kingdom Trails, and do rides every weekend in the fall and spring. There are 1050 students at the school, and we sometimes see up to 10 students on a given ride, and usually 3-4 adults, all teachers who ride. (I'm also known as the crazy teacher who is always on his bike, an old Surly 1x1 campus cruiser.)
    We're not really race oriented; more get-kids-outdoors-having-fun oriented. We also have a bit of a stewardship role, as we do trail work a couple times in the fall each year.
    It's a blast, but really requires dedicated, passionate adults. Having a world-class trail system in your backyard helps too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i'm 16 and i go to menlo atherton here in CA, and i run cross country too lol, i just got into it and i'm getting another friend of mine into it too and then maybe another

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BurkeVT

Awesome trail group, man! I can literally ride from the parking lot of my school and in less than 5 minutes be on incredible single track, ladder rides, log rides, rollers, etc., but I can't get any more than 1 student interested in riding. Only got 350 kids in the high school though, another 200 in the middle to pull from. Too many kids interested in dirt bikes in the PNW. Keep those kids ridding!

mtbr member
    im another kid from the bay area. sophomore in high school. a lot of kids from my school ride and are really good (probably some of the best in the area, no joke) and I ride with them sometimes.

Some of my other friends who I ride with and dont go to school with have helped me build up a lot with jumps and drops that we ride at.

We also go up to Santa Cruz a lot to hit UCSC.
    do it all

don't move for trees
    my senior year consisted of going riding almost every day. with every one else having girlfriends and jobs, left only one thing to do, go riding. then ride with my buddy on the weekends, or during the week on occasion.
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i'm senior now too and ride almost everday. its harder now that its winter (eastern pa), but i do what i can. not too many people my age ride around here, its mostly 30 something adults. im working at a small shop this summer so hopefully i'll meet some more people that ride.

i just hope i can ride as often college next year. anyone else going to PITT next year?
    my other ride is an ice-cream truck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i am too a senior at my high school in apex NC (near raleigh) and i know one other kid that rides but he is more of a roadie and not to fast. so out of my school of 1500 i think i am the only true mtber and i ride lots but usually solo or with friends 25 y/o and up. i work at a local shop and do some of the local races and cant wait for the summer to roll around and hit some bigger endurance races on the east coast. i have heard of other juniors that ride in the area and have been thinking of trying to get a team together any tips??

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm a 17 year old junior all the way down here in Florida and the only other person in my school who rides is my football coach. It's depressing because Alafia River State Park is like 15 minutes away from the school.

I like to ride my bike.
    I am 15 in MA. There is no one in my school, adults or students who ride. I only know one mountain biker in the town, and he is 2-3x my age.

I have biking friends my age a few towns over, but it is hard to ride with them frequently, so I just ride with adults all the time.

I race XC and run cross country in the fall...but I have gotten more injuries from running in 2 years than I have gotten from biking...none (riding for 7 or 8 years.) Plus, it takes time away from biking.

I also work at a shop, which is fun.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast