It's about showing up.

High School Racers are now collegiate racers.

I was at the Santa Teresa race today and shot a picture of the Cal Bears MTB Team, currently second in their League. Although one of the men had just left I noticed that 5 of the racers came from our Norcal High School Racing League and they are all racing at the "A" level. 3 of them are Freshmen.
    Last Tuesday at a Fundraiser for the Tyler Hamilton Foundation at Clif Bar we coaches were honored to have a private dinner with Tyler and his wife Haven and Clif Bar founder Gary Erickson and his wife Kit who hosted the dinner before the main event. Tyler raced at his small New Hampshire HS and he and I talked about building traditions. I showed him pictures of our Team and suggested that the powerful thing about them was that this was a traditional Team Picture, like many School Team Pictures, but this time it was Mountain Bikers. He asked to keep the pictures of our HS Team at El Cerrito. Dave Zabriskie of USPS, winner of a stage in the Vuelta, was there, too, and spent time with any and all "kids" at the event.
    I'm taking those facts to my MTB Parents Welcoming Meeting Wednesday night and to our Fundraiser in the City on the 30th with special Guests Gary Fisher and Freddy Rodriguez.
    This thing is rolling and people in the industry are taking notice.
    We are the future of the industry. We have 170 racers now and I can see statewide High School Racing in California in our future.
    Anyone care to start a team at a local High School? It doesn't have to be big. Just one or two kids with some extra riding, some administrative help, and gettng them to the races. It is a great way to give back to the sport. We can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've been wanting to start a club at my school for a while now, but I think it's a little too late unless I can group together with some younger guys to make sure it gets rolling. We've got the perfect teacher for an adviser because he mountain bikes. But most of the bikers at our school are seniors. The rest as far as I know are juniors, so over the next few years the club would get up and die off. I will talk with a couple of guys and see what they say, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for supporting the idea!

It's about showing up.

You have the seed.

There are many things which go into the beginnings of a successful program. Members help but developing processes is big also.
    The teams don't start riding workouts until January and the first races are in late February. There is no crunch for time.
    A great way to just get started is to hold lunch time meetings with interested people in your Teacher/Adviser's room. Try and get these announced over the school intercom or whatever news organ you have in school. A few fliers and the word gets out. Before you know it you are hanging with a a bunch of buds and you are riding informally on weekends and can see what you have.
    A small group is a bit easier to handle. We started with 20 very different riders and between the different inabilty and the administration Jeremiah and I were plenty busy. Even if you lose your Seniors you may have a Junior left along with the brief programs you have developed to deal with mechanics, insurance, transportation to races, ride/workout support from parents and other mtb friends.
    The local LBS can slo be a great source of information about local HS riders and may, as well, be willing to support your efforts with sponsorships, discounts, and such. It is remarkable how that great vibe that an lbs has when you just hang and shoot the breeze, selling a kid his first bike, and helping the local High School Racing team along go hand in hand.
    Okay, I'll stop now.

don't try this at home
    that is really cool. sure would've been nice to have a team like that in high school. gives a good alternative to the usual ____ball sports. good to see something like this taking shape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    There are many things which go into the beginnings of a successful program. Members help but developing processes is big also.
    The teams don't start riding workouts until January and the first races are in late February. There is no crunch for time.
    A great way to just get started is to hold lunch time meetings with interested people in your Teacher/Adviser's room. Try and get these announced over the school intercom or whatever news organ you have in school. A few fliers and the word gets out. Before you know it you are hanging with a a bunch of buds and you are riding informally on weekends and can see what you have.
    A small group is a bit easier to handle. We started with 20 very different riders and between the different inabilty and the administration Jeremiah and I were plenty busy. Even if you lose your Seniors you may have a Junior left along with the brief programs you have developed to deal with mechanics, insurance, transportation to races, ride/workout support from parents and other mtb friends.
    The local LBS can slo be a great source of information about local HS riders and may, as well, be willing to support your efforts with sponsorships, discounts, and such. It is remarkable how that great vibe that an lbs has when you just hang and shoot the breeze, selling a kid his first bike, and helping the local High School Racing team along go hand in hand.
    Okay, I'll stop now.

That's a really good idea with the whole lbs thing. The great thing is, one of the guys I'm going to talk to tomorrow, works at an lbs, and I know most of the guys who work there and they are all great people. I was wondering, do you have more info on this league you were talking about? Maybe a website or something along those lines? Thanks.

It's about showing up.

Seein' as how you asked....

We have a website with links to individual teams and other resources

.http://www.norcalmtb.org/

I can be contacted through:

echsmtb.com

and would be happy to email any requests a pdf file of our latest newsletter. It is a good read.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    We tried to get a club started this year but the administration turned it down because it wasn't really educational, they didn't buy the learning about a bike thing. So I'll try yet again next year, until then we will continue to hold our informal Sunday rides.

It's about showing up.

That's a tough one.

I admire your effort and commend your tenacity with the Sunday rides. This is, after all about throwing your leg over the bike and buidling relationships. Racing is just another aspect to it. School Administrations can resist MTB in many ways; limited sports budgets, non-academic value, liability and etc. Yet we have teams here; lots of them. And if you talk to the parents of these kids they glow with what this sort of sport has done for them.
    I fully believe that what my riders learn with us is as important as any other class they take. And I go toe to toe with anyone who claims some academic superiority. I believe that the people that we bring to the work are exceptional and that lessons in community involvment, commitment, sacrifice, self-suficiency, grace and honor have a lifelong effect. I understand that not everyone is as certainly convinced of their long term effect on people and their lives but I am. Maybe that comes with working with people for so many years, being as old as I am, and seeing the effect over time. Some of the teens I worked with when I got out of college are now in their 40"s. Very simply, there is more to this than bike mechanics.
    This is our 3rd season of Club involvement and we have had the chance to understand the matriculation of the club, it's riders, is families, and the community it impacts. We recieve no money from the sports budget, hence our club status. This year, though, our Principal gave us $500 because he values what we have done. As such we gave the school a Logo spot on our new Jersey Kit, just like the Pizzeria, the Realtor, the LBS & etc. I know he'll be pleased to be included in traditional cycling fashion. (Now that I think of it I have one large hooded sweatshirt with our racing logo on it. What are the chances he'll did that?)
    I encourage you to be patient and enjoy your time with the riders. This still may develop for you. As you see things moving and you have questions just contact us through the website; we have at least 20 bright, athletic coaches and staff to give you support.

Ride what you want!!
    Riders Eye in Dirt Rag had a pic of the HS kids racing at Glory Hole this year. It was a cool photo, what was even cooler that I was about 100 ft away when the picture was taken... That is about as close as I'll ever get to beinging in Dirt Rag.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

BHS MTB team member
    dude. thats so awesome. i was at the Tyler Tunes event but i didn't see you . then again, this is the first time i've seen a pic of you online. i know we've run into each other on rides before though. i hope to see you at the league event this saturday. by the way, i'm on the silent auction commitee, AND i came up with the name of the league fim, 'Children of the Dirt'
    thanks for making the effort to get our league out there to all the people in cyberspace!

- Andy G.

It's about showing up.

Children of the Dirt

Great title, man. Nicole Hahn has put a lot of work into the DVD of the High School season and I hope to get a copy of it for our Parents meeting on Wednesday. We had a copy of the video from the summer camp; people riding rails, teeter totters, and various other skills building events and the kids were just glued to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I was at the Santa Teresa race today and shot a picture of the Cal Bears MTB Team, currently second in their League. Although one of the men had just left I noticed that 5 of the racers came from our Norcal High School Racing League and they are all racing at the "A" level. 3 of them are Freshmen.
    Last Tuesday at a Fundraiser for the Tyler Hamilton Foundation at Clif Bar we coaches were honored to have a private dinner with Tyler and his wife Haven and Clif Bar founder Gary Erickson and his wife Kit who hosted the dinner before the main event. Tyler raced at his small New Hampshire HS and he and I talked about building traditions. I showed him pictures of our Team and suggested that the powerful thing about them was that this was a traditional Team Picture, like many School Team Pictures, but this time it was Mountain Bikers. He asked to keep the pictures of our HS Team at El Cerrito. Dave Zabriskie of USPS, winner of a stage in the Vuelta, was there, too, and spent time with any and all "kids" at the event.
    I'm taking those facts to my MTB Parents Welcoming Meeting Wednesday night and to our Fundraiser in the City on the 30th with special Guests Gary Fisher and Freddy Rodriguez.
    This thing is rolling and people in the industry are taking notice.
    We are the future of the industry. We have 170 racers now and I can see statewide High School Racing in California in our future.
    Anyone care to start a team at a local High School? It doesn't have to be big. Just one or two kids with some extra riding, some administrative help, and gettng them to the races. It is a great way to give back to the sport. We can help.
    Woah, this is crazy, I randomly browse the Passion forum and see a picture of Tsering on it.

www.HSmtb.org
    Jan 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by kostcoguy
    I've been wanting to start a club at my school for a while now, but I think it's a little too late unless I can group together with some younger guys to make sure it gets rolling. We've got the perfect teacher for an adviser because he mountain bikes. But most of the bikers at our school are seniors. The rest as far as I know are juniors, so over the next few years the club would get up and die off. I will talk with a couple of guys and see what they say, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for supporting the idea!
    It's never too late to get a club started! Also, don't worry about only having seniors. Once other kids hear about the club, you'll get many more. The NorCal league is a fantastic one. I remember contacting them and browsing their website when I first started. Now we have a league in southern new england. For more information or to contact me, go to www.HSmtb.org.

I agree with everything that Berkley Mike said. I have also found that in the three years we have been a club, I have not taken a single student from another sport. All my racers are kids who otherwise would have probably been sitting at home playing video games.

Good luck with the club, and feel free to email me if you have any questions. Also, check out our FAQ at http://www.hsmtb.org/faq.html. This may help you with any questions you may have.

Chris

It's about showing up.

His presence was appropriate.

He is the Leader of the Cal MTB Team; they don't have a head coach as such. He and I talked quite a bit about developing riders, organizing and administrating, and just racing. He is a great example of riders giving back to the sport and still getting his jones on the pedals. His take is really interesting because he is so close to racing, keeping things going, and learning himself. He has a keen mind and great spirit.

BHS MTB team member
    We had a copy of the video from the summer camp; people riding rails, teeter totters, and various other skills building events and the kids were just glued to it.
    yeah i was at that camp. in the skillz section i'm the only one who wanted to try to racket the logs. and i did it, too, as you can see. I was definetly the best rider there. after i beat my teammate, who's a junior now (i'm in 10th), to the top of Mt. Tam (and back too ) he was completely shattered and vowed his revenge. he said last year he got beaten by a younger kid too. i keep telling him that if he wants to get better, he just has to ride more. he even has a Trek 2100 road bike that he's taken out maybe 10 times since last summer. he's just not willing to get up at 7:00 AM on sundays to go on rides with me and Fritz. oh well, his loss!
    Last edited by sgt_hedgehog; 10-26-2004 at 06:53 PM.

BHS MTB team member
    He is the Leader of the Cal MTB Team; they don't have a head coach as such. He and I talked quite a bit about developing riders, organizing and administrating, and just racing. He is a great example of riders giving back to the sport and still getting his jones on the pedals. His take is really interesting because he is so close to racing, keeping things going, and learning himself. He has a keen mind and great spirit.
    yeah Tsering is awesome. he is gonna be a part-time coach this year like last year. we might see alex weissman on some rides too. ALEX!!!! what a guy.