mtbr member
    Dec 2004

High School MTB racing league

I rode the other day with a fellow who is going to school in the San Diego area. When he lived in Northern California he helped form a High School MTB racing league in Northern California. Here is the link http://www.norcalmtb.org

This looks interesting and from what I can tell there is nothing like this in Southern California. I was thinking it would be great to just put together a San Diego County league. A school could start out with a club and perhaps do 3 or 4 races in the spring. The Sagebrush Safari would be a good one to do.

Right now I am involved with the our local high school cross country and track team, so my plate is a little full but I would be willing to put some time in on this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    I rode the other day with a fellow who is going to school in the San Diego area. When he lived in Northern California he helped form a High School MTB racing league in Northern California. Here is the link http://www.norcalmtb.org

This looks interesting and from what I can tell there is nothing like this in Southern California. I was thinking it would be great to just put together a San Diego County league. A school could start out with a club and perhaps do 3 or 4 races in the spring. The Sagebrush Safari would be a good one to do.

Right now I am involved with the our local high school cross country and track team, so my plate is a little full but I would be willing to put some time in on this.
    I recall hearing some thoughts about this a few years ago. As I recall, the biggest issue involved possible injuries and the inevitable law suits. It was pretty much dismissed at that point.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy aka Rut
    I recall hearing some thoughts about this a few years ago. As I recall, the biggest issue involved possible injuries and the inevitable law suits. It was pretty much dismissed at that point.

I know you can get insurance coverage for clubs fairly cheaply. Obviously they figured it out up north. You might even be able to tag on to the Schools liability coverage. Also with races you have NORBA coverage. I really don't think liability is that big of issue since there are so many different type of coverages available.
    Couldn't be near the number of injuries that you have with football.

The think that intrigues me about this is that you will be introducing young people to a sport that they can do for most of their lives. The fellow I spoke to said a lot of the kids were more interested in biking for the sake of biking vs. doing well at the races.

i like dirt.
    Oh man that would be so sick if my high school had a cycling team.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you are interested I have some DVD's that a friend sent me on the Norcal league. PM me your address and I can send you one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It looks like USA cycling is in the planning stages of developing a High School racing leage program. It probably will not get off the ground until the 08 season but people can start a club at the local High School to start getting the kids involved now. If you start a club you can contact other schools in your leage to do the same and arrange for a few races using current races in your area.