Contagious Xian

High School MTB leagues?

Has there ever been any discussion on what it would take to put together either a club-level or varsity-jv mtb option at the high school level in ID? I know that they've got this in other states and probably Canada.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    Good morning CP, I have had many conversations with parents, kids, and teachers over the past few years on this matter. The superintendant for Meridian schools is a good customer(road bikes), he feels it is too dangerous a sport.....hm, football isnt? lacross isnt? I still try, and kids and parents want it in schools. Might need to get swimba or some other local cycling group to spark somthing.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

Don't worry, be happy!
    You might give Berkeley Mike a shout/PM. He coaches HS gals mountain biking in CA, and is really gung-ho on it. He might be a good resource for you.

Formica

Contagious Xian
    Good Morning Patrick! Yes, it's definitely football for boys and cheerleading for girls http://chicago.about.com/od/sportsre...5_football.htm that have the most injuries associated with participation. With enough interest and backing, a sport can get added. I've been part of this kind of thing when I was a Junior in high school and we were able to persuade the powers that be to add volleyball to the list. I'm sure it'd be quite a sales effort, but it can be done.

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    You might give Berkeley Mike a shout/PM. He coaches HS gals mountain biking in CA, and is really gung-ho on it. He might be a good resource for you.

Formica
    Thanks!

Hi!!!
    You can find Berkeley Mike on the Northen California and Women's Lounge boards. As formica said...very gung-ho about it.

I wonder if BODE or BYRDS has had discussions about setting up HS programs around here.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    they can at least set up clubs for it. the clubs can generate funding from fundraising.

while in college (at the University of South Carolina...go cocks!). we set up a club and got sponsors for it. there was a intercollegiate racing circuit; waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than Norba races, and we got to see the same group on a bi-weekly basis...set up some rivalries and friendships..it was a lot of fun.

our individual placing earned points for our Team, and for our individual series points..

we raced against, Georgia, GT, Clemson, Florida, Jacksonville St, Tenn, Auburn and Georgia Southern. those were the schools we saw.

the club fizzled out after we graduated.

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    You can find Berkeley Mike on the Northen California and Women's Lounge boards.
    Thanks, he already replied to my PM.

Maybe if there's enough work done now by the time our kids get to HS (which is about 5 years away for my oldest one) they'll have something in place.

Murphy's Law: My kids will decide they're into football more, HA!

slownfat
    cp, you just wanna wear the referee jersey, i know you do!

Contagious Xian
    I could go work at Footlocker if that were true! I just want to see if this is a possibility for my youngins down the road ya know...

How about getting that bike out and riding it this winter MJM?

slownfat
    there is a distinct possibility of that happening. maybe even the road bike! the sabbatical from the bike ends this winter (though that seems a dumb time to return to the bike when the board is calling!) we'll have to coordinate something!

mtbr member
    That is a great idea. At borah we have around 5 mtbikers. The thought of a club rather than a team is more appealing to me, however. I do not want to turn into another B.Y.R.D.S group. Not to bash them, but biking is an individual thing to me, and I'd rather just have some people to bounce ideas off and ride with than having to go train with a coach. I'd be willing to organize a club at Borah, but seeing as Trevor and I are the only two people that race downhill there it would be kind of pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor
    Either ive got a lot of mud on my tire, or i'm hauling Kenne's ego

mtbr member

Sprockids and High School

Bombin4X and anyone else who can work on this over the winter.

I have been doing research on this with Byrds and as Director of Boise Sprockids.
    The model comes out of California and I would like to know if putting a High School Series together makes sense and how to accomplish the goal.

Please PM me and I'll put a working group together. My hope is that we can then come back to this list and report on the progress in a month or so.

Thank you for the interest.

Harley Parson
    Director
    SWIMBA/Sprockids
    harleyparson@yahoo.com