mtbr member

High School Cycling Teams?

This week, I was able to create a mountain bike team at my school. It's not complete yet but will be by the the start of the new year.

Are there any other schools with mountain bike teams (or cycling teams in general) in PA? Eastern PA??
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

Gravity's Gone
    I've been trying to get some of the educators at Danville Area School District (some of whom are regulars on this site) to get the ball rolling on one, but so far it's fallen on deaf ears.

Did you ever have ham?

High School Cycling Teams?

Quote Originally Posted by crashplayer19
    This week, I was able to create a mountain bike team at my school. It's not complete yet but will be by the the start of the new year.

Are there any other schools with mountain bike teams (or cycling teams in general) in PA? Eastern PA??
    That is AWESOME!!! Have any need for a fat, middle-aged mascot? LOL!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Nanker- If one got started at Danville itd be perfect..I started mine at crestwood
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

ganginwood
    get a hold of mike kuhn. he started a legit scholastic program down towards harrisburg.
    google highspeedcycling for his contact info. not sure if it was mtb or road based but he'd give you a good idea as to how to start the program.

i'd say you'd have a bigger chance of success if you started a club rather than a high school team only because the club would draw from more than one district and in the end its a numbers game.

the clubs could always compete locally or enter larger events without having to be confined to piaa regulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Thanks I will and it will definitely be a club now

Gravity's Gone
    Danville already has a club and owns quite a few high end bikes. They have trails in their backyard that already host a Mid Atlantic Super Series race. This place is screaming for a mountain bike team, but none of the staff at the school district (at least a half dozen or so who are regular riders) seem to have any interest in doing it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I went through a similar search when I was in HS. The only area with a large group of schools with cycling teams is New England. A lot of the boarding schools up there have both mtb and road teams. I spent two years at one and had a blast.

mtbr member
    http://www.nationalmtb.org/ is the national organization for high school mountain biking.

It is going to be a grassroots effort for you, but NICA might be able to give you some advice.

mtbr member
    good job crashplayer

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've been thinking about starting a team at my school, but sadly the interest just isn't there. It's awesome to see that its going well somewhere in Pennsylvania though!

mtbr member
    I had contacted NICA and they were nice but not of much help. They basically told me a PA league was a few years off but they offered to draft ideas with me (which was pretty cool of them).

Basically I've set up a system where the club will have statistics and different results you finish in a race will give you points. The club will compete with itself through a time trial and the stats of those who make top (insert number here) statistics will count for that race. Anyone that wants to compete can still go to the race. Anyone who places in the top whatever number twice has to sit out and give others a chance.

This is for my senior project and will only be part 1 of the project.

Any more input into the team would be greatly appreciated!