It's about showing up.

High School Aftermath

El Cerrito Racing had it's 6th Annual BBQ. Each year I give the kids and image of them racing and comment on a particular characteristic that they expressed bringing value to the Team effort. As have I shared a lot about my son's comeback from a a patellar dislocation I thought I'd share an image of his Championship race at Boggs. This is taken as he finishes his first lap and about to attack the climb ahead. He finished 7th and managed a comeback from an injury which can simply gut your will so we honored him for his Adaptabilty
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Great photo.

It sounds like you do an excellent job of teaching them about life in addition to MTB racing.
    It is difficult for some people to use the two words "too" and "to" appropriately.

"I had to go where I went, to get where I am. Any other path would have taken me elsewhere, and I may have missed the joy."

mtbr member
    Nice photo. It's great to see school kids racing XC. Where I live, there is next to zero interest in cycling from younger age groups, as the culture is very football orientated. Bit of a shame, really as football also seems to steer them in the direction of alcohol. I guess I was seen as a bit of an oddball when I was younger as I rebelled against being pushed into football, and was hooked on BMX (kids even made fun of me for it).

Heck, if he looses that camelback he may even make up a spot or two next time

mtbr member
    May 2008
    football steers kids into alcohol.....what?

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by wisbike
    football steers kids into alcohol.....what?
    yea really...guy must not hang around mountain bikers often cause every one i know LOVES beer.

It's about showing up.

For the early years a camelback

is a great idea as the mechanics of Feed Zone and any slowing down are skills yet to be acquired by the Freshmen who race two laps and about 12 miles. The NorCal High School Varsity Champion, John Bennett, uses a Camelback in his first lap, drains it, and drops it in the Feed Zone. They race 24-28 miles in temperatures over 100.
    John is going to the World Championships in Italy in two weeks. I'll pass along your suggestion. Not really. However it will be interesting to see if he continues to use the Camelback in the face of USA Cycling coaching and after the World Championships. I know I will post John's results and maybe I will remember the camelback thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake
    yea really...guy must not hang around mountain bikers often cause every one i know LOVES beer.
    I see what Smithys talking about. As an adult group, MTBers enjoy beer, but football as a social gathering encourages the consumption of LIGHT BEER, which we all know is awful for you and shows poor upbringing.