Member of The Yeti Tribe

help for 2011 Collegiate Nationals Angel Fire,NM

So I am a freshman up at Boise State and I have been doing some riding and got invited to the Collegiate nationals with a few of the club riders... I would love to be able to go and see what its all about.

My concerns are about my current bikes that I ride.. Being a College student that ride just about every genre of riding (DH,FR,4x,DJ, XC, Cx, Road, and occasionally BMX) I had to consolidate my Quiver of bikes down so I only had 3 bikes at College.

I have my Yeti ASR-7 as my "Do-it-all" mountain bike, My Specialized Cruix Pro Carbon with a 105 road wheelset and a Pave CX wheelset, and my GT Ruckus DJ as my Dj and general shenanigans bike.

I have raced Downhill as a Cat 1 junior in the years past as well as Cat 1 in many super D's and All mountain races where I am very competitive.. I have my ASR-7 built pretty burly and I ride it hard, but I looked up the downhill course at Angel Fire and it looks like its more then I want to put the 7 through even with a burlier build on it.. So I am thinking that I will be doing my best to try and find a downhill rig to borrow for that trip. To those that have raced at AF, what is the course really like? Videos only can do so much justice and I would like to hear some first hand experience on what the course is like..

Next is the 4x/DS.. which one will they run there? I feel like I would fare much better in the 4x then I would in the Dual.. I am down with banging bars but I am not as much of a berm killer as lots of other kids that do this more seriously then I do. I would bring my Hardtail regardless, but If its going to be 4x, then I will start working on building up a geared 4x bike otherwise I am taking the SS DJ bike to play on..

Last is what in the hell goes on at the Nationals? I have herd its a party that just happens to have a bike race at it.. Any stories, tips, tricks?

(Mods feel free to move if it is better suited somewhere else)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anything "collegiate" is just a big party

mtbr member
    I've never been to nationals, as this is my first year racing. I don't know what the environment is like, and I have no idea what the course is like there. Try posting that question in the New Mexico forum. I know that some guys on that forum ride AF.

Anyway, regarding wanting to borrow a DH bike, I'm on the UNM team and we are hosting this year. If you want, I can try to get you in touch with somebody in charge and I'm sure they'll be more aware of any options that would be available to you down here. Hopefully something can be worked out. Otherwise, I'd ask on the NM forum once again and see if you can get a local to let you borrow. Don't know how well that would work, but it might be worth a shot if our team can't get anything figured out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpAgetttt View Post
    anything "collegiate" is just a big party
    Maybe that's just in your experience....'cause I can tell you that my O Chem exam wasn't any party.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    I've never been to nationals, as this is my first year racing. I don't know what the environment is like, and I have no idea what the course is like there. Try posting that question in the New Mexico forum. I know that some guys on that forum ride AF.

Anyway, regarding wanting to borrow a DH bike, I'm on the UNM team and we are hosting this year. If you want, I can try to get you in touch with somebody in charge and I'm sure they'll be more aware of any options that would be available to you down here. Hopefully something can be worked out. Otherwise, I'd ask on the NM forum once again and see if you can get a local to let you borrow. Don't know how well that would work, but it might be worth a shot if our team can't get anything figured out.

I worked at a shop back in my home town and our shop has a Demo 8 "rental" bike that I should be able to use as well as it is more of a shop play bike then we ever really rent out. Also there is a Yeti 303 DH, a GT DHi,and a Intense M1 in our employee group that I should be able to use if I ask nicely. So the bike situation is covered.. I was more wondering about the track and what the collegiate nationals is all about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    I worked at a shop back in my home town and our shop has a Demo 8 "rental" bike that I should be able to use as well as it is more of a shop play bike then we ever really rent out. Also there is a Yeti 303 DH, a GT DHi,and a Intense M1 in our employee group that I should be able to use if I ask nicely. So the bike situation is covered.. I was more wondering about the track and what the collegiate nationals is all about.
    Alright. I myself have no idea what the track is like and what nats is about. I race C, so it's not like I have to worry about it yet, haha. Definitely ask about the track in the New Mexico forum.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Well seeing how UCI just took the Ax to 4x, I would be guessing that there will be a Dual and not a 4x. I am less motivated to build up a hardtail to race there now..

mtbr member
    I wish I knew what to say, haha. I only race XC, so I don't have to worry about such things. Whatever happens, I wish you luck. I might be there to volunteer since we're hosting.