mtbr member
    Jan 2011

New question here. First Bike for College and XC

I am going to college this Fall and want to get a dependable bike I can use for commuting and go trail riding on the weekends. The only bikes I've owned have been Walmart bikes so I'm open to any suggestions.

My budget is $300

I've been looking at an '00 Trek 6000 all stock, it is on CL for $200
    http://eugene.craigslist.org/bik/2180587480.html

I am 18, 150lbs, 6'1"

Thanks, I can't wait to get really into biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Look at a specialized hardrock.

Apr 2007
    That Trek should be perfect for you. If it fits, I'd snag it. Make sure it's all functioning properly and the fork/bearings/etc. have been serviced.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by greke
    Id suggest you this Mongoose 700C,I'm 6'2,and it make me feel great.
    Fixed gear roadie for a guy looking to hit trails. Nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well life sucks. I turn 18 and my parents wont even let me buy a bike. Guess I'm stuck with my 8 year old rhino from "Toy's '4' Children under 6 foot" for the next 6 months. Bent crank, broken rear derailleur, way too small, weak brakes, bent front derailleur.... and on top of that the paint is bubbling from all the rust. FML

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rhfoxdude24
    Well life sucks. I turn 18 and my parents wont even let me buy a bike. Guess I'm stuck with my 8 year old rhino from "Toy's '4' Children under 6 foot" for the next 6 months. Bent crank, broken rear derailleur, way too small, weak brakes, bent front derailleur.... and on top of that the paint is bubbling from all the rust. FML
    Your 18 and listen to what your parents tell you to do?

Its your life dude if you have the cash and want a decent bike, go out and buy one. I could see if your parents were upset if you blew a ton of money on a tatoo or somthing else, but a bike? c'mon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The bike is 70 miles away. And I don't have a car.
    Well they just told me if I ride my Rhino every day for a month I might change their minds. I guess I'll ride for a month then when I get a good bike it will be way easier. Hopefully I can still find a good deal when the weather gets nice. I was so excited for this Trek :/

... Unless someone in Salem OR wants to give me a ride to Portland
    Last edited by rhfoxdude24; 01-30-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Apr 2007
    Can you take public transportation out there? Maybe even ride back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    There is all kinds of PT in Portland and Eugene... But in between is a wasteland lol. I was thinking about riding my Rhino there and riding the Trek back but yesterday and today have been the only times I've ridden since 2008 and I'm kinda out of shape. My brother has an FS Dyno so once I break the Rhino I'll ask him if I can ride his, then once that breaks maybe my parents will get the point.

Apr 2007
    Some people are willing to deliver or maybe he's heading your way anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Just a friendly word of caution:
    Bike theft tends to be rampant in college towns. Commuter bike and fitness fun bike may not be the same bike. From your description, your current bike does not sound worth fixing.

I'd look for a solid, simple older bike that fits you. Cosmetically challenged is OK; what you want is something mechanically sound. And plan on locking it, every where you go that involves you leaving the bike out of your sight for any amount of time,

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by impact23
    Look at a specialized hardrock.
    +1 I started mtb racing on this bike (2004 model) and have since converted it to a full time commuter that I put 1300 miles on last summer. I've replaced (upgraded) a lot of parts, but the wheels are still going. For your price range I'd say this is a good compromise.