slow

Colorado High School Mountain Bike Racing League

How cool is this?

I wish they had a varsity mountain bike racing team at my high school. Unfortunately, mountain biking had not been around long when I was in high school. Guess I'd better get to work training my kids.

http://velonews.com/article/99518/co...in-bike-league

mtbr member
    Awesome, man that would have kept me out of some trouble back in HS LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What schools are getting involved in this? Any on the Front Range? As a teacher, I would like to know how I could get my school involved. I tried to get a riding club going at my school, but there seemed to be too many unknown liability risks for me to shoulder, so I backed out. There was interest though!
    bikeone

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjensen
    What schools are getting involved in this? Any on the Front Range? As a teacher, I would like to know how I could get my school involved. I tried to get a riding club going at my school, but there seemed to be too many unknown liability risks for me to shoulder, so I backed out. There was interest though!
    Keep me in the loop on this if you hear anything.
    My son is in 6th grade, and this could be in full swing by the time he gets to Golden High School.
    Daughter is too far into the XC and soccer gig already - in 10th grade.
    Wouldn't mind following up and talking to the GHS athletic director etc.
    Where do you teach Andy?
    Old Codger

!Vamos, flaco!
    It's hard for me to get too excited about this, personally. The noncompetitive nature of riding and riding trails, in particular, and the lack of any need for organizations and all that such organizations entail are some of the very things I like most about riding my mountain bike, and it's what attracted me to biking in high school. But whatevs, maybe the Euros won't continually slay us in pro racing if we have some leagues.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think this could be really cool *if* they don't implement a "you have to make the team" attitude. In other words, anyone should be able to be on the team, ride with the team, travel with the team, compete. Maybe you would have to limit participation for select races, but otherwise all comers should be welcomed.

Also, the races should be *short*. There is absolutely no reason the races should last more than 30 minutes. The selection made in a 30 minute race is always 95% the same as it would have been in a longer race. Keep it short enough so as to not intimidate the new riders.

Finally, no rider should be excluded because they don't have a decent bike. No one should be forced to ride a Huffy. Manufacturers, shops, clubs, could all step up and provide decent rides. I'm not taking about a 24lb full susser, I'm taking about an aluminum hardtail with 8-speed LX and a Tora fork. Even better IMHO, would be to make the league single-speed.

Anyone have details about the California leagues?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    Anyone have details about the California leagues?
    Berkeley Mike in the Norcal forums set this up in his area. I have read numerous threads about these kids. They have some great bike donations to the team for racers who don't have their own race bikes. Sounds like good support in that area. Great programs. Read some of his threads:

school programs?
    school programs?
    NorCal High School Racing Championships at Boggs Saturday and Sunday

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I teach in Broomfield, and have some superb training grounds within a 20 minute drive. But BVSD wants to call it a club sport, and there is no type of liability protection for the coaches/teachers who head these activities up. I think the idea is great, but I cannot expose myself to this kind of risk.
    bikeone

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Insurance?

Wow. Not covering the coaches for liability is a huge hole. I wonder how it is handled in California?

Anyone out there in the insurance industry willing to step up and provide an alternative to the district's coverage?

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjensen
    I teach in Broomfield, and have some superb training grounds within a 20 minute drive. But BVSD wants to call it a club sport, and there is no type of liability protection for the coaches/teachers who head these activities up. I think the idea is great, but I cannot expose myself to this kind of risk.
    Thoughts: get a serious, no-holds-barred waiver and have it signed and notarized by the parents/guardians of the kids, and/or form an LLC for the club, so your assests will not be liable.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    Anyone out there in the insurance industry willing to step up and provide an alternative to the district's coverage?
    Who's gonna pay the premiums?

mtbr member
    one of the peeps (as my 6 year-old is fond of saying) that is bringing this to CO occasionally posts on this forum... i'll see if i can't get him to chime in.

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member

drinks from the fountain
    So.. are Football coaches covered?
    Way more injuries in football than there is cycling isn't there?
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Quote Originally Posted by tmosebar
    So.. are Football coaches covered?
    Way more injuries in football than there is cycling isn't there?
    I think that's where the club sport vs the sanctioned CHSAA sport would come in.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I teach in Jeffco, and have been looking into how we can get a Team here and I would also like to coach the team. The problem that I have been told is it it is not a CHSAA sanctioned sport, then it has to be a club sport. From what I have been told they will not support the club sport through the district because of liability issues for the district, the coach and the riders. I would like to be involved but it looks like they need to make it a CHSAA sport. I am going to keep looking into this. Does any body have any other info that could help.
    Last edited by paris; 11-03-2009 at 05:13 PM.

paris - I just got an email from the founding committe chair for the Colorado High School Cycling League.
    Check your PMs for her contact info.
    Old Codger

I have gotten on the email list for this, and have received quite a few emails.
    They seem to be full steam ahead and look to be intent on getting this thing rolling in
    Anyone here involved yet?
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    I'd like to help, though I have zero connection with anything Highschool related...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The way around the liability issue/insurance worry is that the coaches need to become certified by NICA - National Interscholastic Cycling Association - things like CPR, first aid, and I'm not sure what else will get you certified. Once certified you are covered under their umbrella. (I'm still way nervous about this!). Here are some other details: $100 entry fee per team; $200 per rider (their resp.), coach is $25 NICA fee. Four races are planned and they will be trying to disperse the races in broad regions throughout the state. The desire is to have individual schools with teams, ie. Broomfield High School Mountain Bike Team, but a school district could probably put something together, ie. Boulder Valley Mountain Bike Team. Hope this helps some.
    Contact Kate Rau at: krau@coloradomtb.org for more info. AJ
    bikeone

mtbr member
    I taught a highschool program in Austin TX 2003 - 2005 at a private school that had their own trail system. There were about 15 kids in the program to start and it lost momentum each year. I think this was because mountain biking is pretty hard and there was a lot of variance between the kid's abilities. Since me and the other instructor were racers, we offered to take them to local races (which about 4 enjoyed), but the season's goal was doing a trip in Big Bend National Park. It was a success and I'm sure something the kids will remember for a long time. I liked this approach - getting them able to ride (both in technique and fitness) in a unique and beautiful location rather than a racing focus. To me - MTB trips are what it's all about.

One other issue was that the bikes that the kids had varied tremendously. This was a private school and most of the families had money. But some didn't and there was a kid on a Sworks Epic up against a kid on a rully rigid Schwinn with STX. There was also a 'little person' in the class who rode a 20" MTB. He was gutsy, but the poor guy had to spin 200 rpms to keep up.

Then some kids naturally excelled and others didn't at all. So we had to focus on skills, games, and lessons, rather than just going out and riding together.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    I have gotten on the email list for this, and have received quite a few emails.
    They seem to be full steam ahead and look to be intent on getting this thing rolling in
    Anyone here involved yet?
    Andy,
    I'd like to get connected. Can you get me some info so I can get into the loop? Maybe help something happen here in the north.
    MW

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Andy,
    I'd like to get connected. Can you get me some info so I can get into the loop? Maybe help something happen here in the north.
    MW
    Sorry Mike,
    Forgot about this til I saw your grade school photo on FB!
    Will send you some info over there.
    Old Codger

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    The Colorado High School Mountain Bike Racing League has already been around for a couple of years. It never got a lot of steam for whatever reason. We were hoping to host a race a Bear Creek a couple of years ago.

Read here: http://www.usacycling.org/chsmbl/

I think because of TD's involvement they are presenting this as a "new" racing league.
    My guess is it will be road/track/MTB, not just MTB as previously.

IMHO, What really needs to happen in amateur cycling at all levels is to real-in the high costs associated with bike racing. Equipment restrictions need to be put into place to level out the playing fields. i.e. single speeds, rigid forks, HT's, etc... MTB racing made the same mistake as triathlons. USAC has either given into pressure to sell high priced equipment, or ignored the issue, at the expense of maintaining evenly competitive events and retaining/encouraging junior athletes to pursue the sport.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that there is an untapped reservoir of hidden talent in kids from less-affluent families, yet they cannot afford to participate when an average race bike costs $3000, and I don't know how starting a "new" league is going to solve that issue?

Perhaps what's really needed is a change at USAC? Otherwise the Colorado Bike Racing League will always be Cherry Hills vs. Columbine vs. Cheyenne Mtn. every year.

UT