Bro
    Where I do my thinking

Collegiate racing -- Stanford race?

Hey everyone, Bay Area native here.... I grew up in Pacifica. Now I'm at University of Nevada, Reno, and racing for our cycling team. And I got excited when I saw that we would be racing at a Stanford-hosted race, because it meant I would be able to visit home that weekend.

Except the race is going to be at Toro Park, in Salinas. Which I don't understand, because if I wanted to race fire roads I would be perfectly content riding in Pacifica again. I also don't understand why they're hosting the race in Salinas, because there's plenty of riding on the peninsula and Santa Cruz, both of which are closer to Stanford and home.

Sorry if I'm coming off a bit badly -- it is kinda disappointing to find out I won't be able to visit home and friends for as long as I was hoping to. Just looking to see if any race directors or volunteers or anyone out there knows why the "Stanford" race is so far from Stanford.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

190lbs of climber
    Stanford hosts either at Toro or at Santa Teresa, as those are the only parks in the area that will allow races easily. There's plenty of riding, but not overseen by land manager who allow races. The Toro park is definitely not fireroads... 18ish minute laps when I was racing (the last four years, graduated now), fast fireroad climb and then reeaaallly fast fun singletrack descent that you get really good at because if you are an A you get to do it 5 times, 6 if you do a lap for warm up.
    -Menso de Jong
    Cal Poly Wheelmen 07-11
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

Mtn View, CA
    When I raced for Cal in the mid-90s, Stanfurd would have their road race out by the windmills between Livermore and Tracy. I think the logistics were easier for them even though there is primo riding on the peninsula.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Makes sense enough Menso.... Looking at the race flyer again, it looks like they definitely undersold the race. Even the Men's C Class (me) is doing three laps. I think they could've scheduled the races just the same as everyone else has been doing though, it's weird having only one race on late Saturday afternoon and then another two on Sunday. Personally I'd prefer two races on Saturday and one on Sunday. It's a long drive back to school after the DH race on Sunday afternoon.... Whatever, I'm not going to be changing their schedule anytime soon.

Gddyap... I'll worry about road season come spring. But thanks for the heads-up, now I don't have to be disappointed again.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Mtn View, CA
    There is a lot less traffic out there so I think they only needed to hire one police officer to marshall the course. A few guys and I were usually so far off the back after a few miles it became just a regular ride for us. They would also hold their crit in a parking lot on campus somewhere. Cal would hold our road race out by Crockett. Our crit was the best of all the schools. It would be a 4 corner course south of campus consisting of Bancroft, College, Durant, and I think Bowditch. The field would blow up immediately due to the climbing. We were consistently ranked in the top 5 during my 4 years. I think that was because we had some top Men's As grad students who never went to class. They would ride up Mt Diablo every other day. There wasn't a lot of collegiate mtn biking till my last year.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

Dropshot Champ!
    hey erik, have you been hitting all the races? The UNR van with the keg tap near the license plate is pretty badass!

I'm on a blue ibis with a yellow stone ruination jersey.

Our team was pretty bummed to see it wasn't a bay area trail that would be hosting the event as well. But talking to a few people, they said it won't be as boring as parkfield xc.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I've been around the races a bit... I was at the UNR home race (of course) but just for the XC event. My bike was making some funky sounds after the race and I didn't want to risk my neck on a broken bike for SD or STXC.

I wasn't at Parkfield, unfortunately. The more stories I hear from the party on Saturday night, the more sorry I am that I didn't go.

I was at Humboldt on Saturday. I raced C Class for XC and STXC, and then I had to leave with another car.

I'm now on a black and yellow Devinci hardtail with the white Nevada jersey. At the UNR race I was on my black singlespeed hardtail, but that bike is now broken and gone. Are you with Davis?

I actually wasn't aware that we had any team cars.... Someone mentioned that as we were pulling into the parking lot at Humboldt, because apparently we're the only team that doesn't have a team car. You got any photos of this team van?

Dropshot Champ!
    I crashed trying to avoid hikers on the unr preride which I was told was a closed course, so I missed xc trying to source a d hanger, then broke my bike at super D. For HSU, I raced B for everything, and tish tang was super fun. There were little spider armies like you see in nat geo, small swarms of spiders that came in waves.

I think the van might be the giant/northstar unr van? I'm not sure, no pics.

I ride for CSUS, stop by and say hi at stanford! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    There is a lot less traffic out there so I think they only needed to hire one police officer to marshall the course. A few guys and I were usually so far off the back after a few miles it became just a regular ride for us. They would also hold their crit in a parking lot on campus somewhere. Cal would hold our road race out by Crockett. Our crit was the best of all the schools. It would be a 4 corner course south of campus consisting of Bancroft, College, Durant, and I think Bowditch. The field would blow up immediately due to the climbing. We were consistently ranked in the top 5 during my 4 years. I think that was because we had some top Men's As grad students who never went to class. They would ride up Mt Diablo every other day. There wasn't a lot of collegiate mtn biking till my last year.
    go bears--i used to do the sun AM rides that left from sproul plaza once in a while (94 to 98), but never raced. it seemed like most of cal cycling was grad students.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I crashed trying to avoid hikers on the unr preride which I was told was a closed course, so I missed xc trying to source a d hanger, then broke my bike at super D. For HSU, I raced B for everything, and tish tang was super fun. There were little spider armies like you see in nat geo, small swarms of spiders that came in waves.

I think the van might be the giant/northstar unr van? I'm not sure, no pics.

I ride for CSUS, stop by and say hi at stanford! Good luck!
    That's interesting.... I'll ask around at our meeting tonight. I know a few of our DH riders are sponsored professional riders, but I've never seen a van around.

I'll be on the lookout at Stanford -- good luck to you too.

BTW -- I didn't notice any spiders at Humboldt. Thanks for clearing them out of the way for everyone else behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    it seemed like most of cal cycling was grad students.
    Most of my team is grad/PhD students too..... I think I'm actually the only undergrad on the mtb team right now. It was only slightly intimidating at the first race.

Dropshot Champ!
    you headed to chico?

did you make stanford?

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Nah, and nah. I caught some nasty chest cold at Humboldt and I've been hacking up a lung every time I've tried to exert myself since then. It's starting to get better, but I haven't ridden since Humboldt and I'd rather take it easy a bit longer and recover completely than blow up at Chico and spend another few weeks doing nothing. I wish I could go to Nationals, but I'm still a class C (surprise). So that's my first season of racing. A whole three races, with five points in the Omnium. I'll be racing road this spring too though. Already looking forward to it.

Dropshot Champ!
    don't forget about conference champs in a few weeks hosted by cal @ sonoma.

You don't have to be in the running to race, should be fun.

nov 12/13th

ps, I got my ass kicked at stanford but had fun

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    The conference champs are just to determine who's the fastest in each class? I guess it looks like I'll have a few more races this season, then. My version of the WCCC site says they're hosted by Cal, but it's all the same, I guess.

I haven't seen any photos from Stanford, but I wish I could've gone. The more races I hear about, the more it seems like more studying than racing occurs.

BTW, I saw the photos from Parkfield, with our Giant/Northstar van. I guess that's someone's personal/corporate van. But that tap is indeed badass. I'm disappointed that I missed the pixie bikes, but not so disappointed that I missed Gary's crotch all over the place that night also.
    Last edited by Bro; 10-20-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Dropshot Champ!
    yeah they're hosted by cal (ucb) but near sonoma. Just like cal poly wasn't in cal poly and stanford wasn't in stanford haha!

You can get double points at conference is all. Then they figure out who wins what, afterwards. It's kinda assbackwards, but whatever, another race!

Stanford xc was pretty damn fun, and there are stanford dh pics up on the humboldt state cycling fb page.

Haha, there is definitely fun to be had at each event!

And of course, there is no alcohol involved anywhere. I don't know who told ya that. I also don't poach trails and I'm never late to class

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Of course, no alcohol. Never alcohol, and we study like champs.

Ha. Speaking of, I was just rewarded by my RA for "studying with my door open." I was opening the page to write this reply.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the giant/northstar van is UNR's Jon Wilson's personal race rig