Member of The Yeti Tribe

Collegiate Nationals @ Angel Fire

I got offered to race at nationals in a month by one of the bike club members at my school and am wondering about the course foe the DH as well as if they are going to run a DS at tht race? I cant imagine them running a 4x after what the UCI did but I am in the process of building up a HT for a DS/4x/DJ bike so I am set for racing that but I am wondering about the DH course and how burly it really is..

I have seen a few videos but its always nice to hear what others have to say rather then just seeing videos. What is the locals take on the racing that will be going on in a month?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

Stucco Bucket
    theres a new one that almost completed.It wll be used for the upcoming Final Descent 12hr race.
    Its steep and chunky for sure. Theres also 2 or 3 other options for a dh course. One being the course they usd fr the World Cup, and Supreme.
    As for a DS course, they have the capability, but I havent seen any effort being put into that this summer.

mtbr member
    Swan, the DS course will be finished up before the Collegiate Nationals.

Not sure which DH course they will use, but count on it being really steep, really rocky, or a little of both.

Airborne Flight Crew
    For sure, count on rocky terrain. Then, count on some more rocky terrain. Awesome trails though, some of my favorites.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I figured that It would be tons of rocks.. I am going to have to borrow a bike as I dont have a proper DH bike at the momemt and I was wonding about the course so I could make sure I could have the bike set up and ready for when I get down there.

I would like to see the DS set up as it happens.. I am progress of building up a HT to race down there and would like to see what I am up against..

Another question is what are people running for tires on their DH and DS bikes down there?

Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    I figured that It would be tons of rocks.. I am going to have to borrow a bike as I dont have a proper DH bike at the momemt and I was wonding about the course so I could make sure I could have the bike set up and ready for when I get down there.

I would like to see the DS set up as it happens.. I am progress of building up a HT to race down there and would like to see what I am up against..

Another question is what are people running for tires on their DH and DS bikes down there?

There aren't actually so many rocks on the new course compared to the World Cup/Upper Boogie/Pepper Spray courses we usually race on in Angel Fire although that could change after the course gets broken in from the Final Descent race. There's more roots and off camber to worry about than anything else. I'd suggest Maxxis Minions or Specialized Butchers for tires. You'll want something sticky enough for the roots.

The DS course they've been building replaces the old 4X course that was one of the best in the country and used for the World Cup a while back. When I was there a couple weeks ago it looked really nice with lots of big berms but they hadn't packed it in yet. It's fairly steep for a DS course too. For DS tires I would make sure they roll fast but since I'm not a DS racer I can't really recommend anything in particular.