No longer a hardtailkid.

Colleges in MTBing areas?

I am a sophomore in one of the top 5o high schools in the country. I am obviously planning on going to college. I really want to permanently where I go to college, and I want to make a good choice. I don't want to go to a college where the LBS is a bike shop full of cruisers, trikes, and road bikes. For me, MTBing is a passion that I think will last forever. I have only been "into it" for about 14 months, but I have so much fun riding, I don't think I will ever get it up.

Being a student at West Shore Jr./Sr. High School, expectations are very high. I have to maintain a higher than average GPA and to graduate, I need 4.0 more credits than any other school in my area requires. Since I will be graduating with a Diploma of Distinction, I will be able to get into a pretty good college.

Now, to the point of this post. What areas have alot of great bike shops, with a wide range of MTBs? I want to be somewhere with year round riding (or atleast 8 months per year). I prefer to stay on the east coast, but I don't know how many big bike shops there may be in one popular area.

With colleges that have MTB teams, will those areas have a lot of trails and bike shops?

Thanks,
    Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with the trails in the whole country but live in nyc and I'm only about 1/2 hour from good trails so I'd think you could mtb where ever you chose. If you wanna mtb year round I'd think that climate has more to do with it. Some of my all time favorite trails so far have been in Arizona, Hawaii, Utah, Vermont. Pick a school first then do some research on surrounding areas. Each state has a forum on this site.
    Good Luck!
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

Thread Terrorist
    Gunnison, CO.

www.western.edu

Seriously, get your degree at the best possible school. Distractions aren't easy on college kids, believe me, I'm well aware of it. It'll take you 4 years to get a degree, it'll take longer trying to find a job you love and make good money at.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    I'm not familiar with the trails in the whole country but live in nyc and I'm only about 1/2 hour from good trails so I'd think you could mtb where ever you chose. If you wanna mtb year round I'd think that climate has more to do with it. Some of my all time favorite trails so far have been in Arizona, Hawaii, Utah, Vermont. Pick a school first then do some research on surrounding areas. Each state has a forum on this site.
    Good Luck!
    Well, I am planning on finding a pretty good area, with trails of every kind, from bike paths and rail-trails to singletrack and freeride, and a decent climate. I want to find a general area with a few good LBSs within about 1 hour of the place. There are good colleges prettymuch everywhere, and if I narrow it down pretty well to about 5 areas, I will have plenty of options. But I'm not going to be stupid and go to a pretty low-end college just to be near a MTBing area.

I just remembered, my parents are doing Florida Pre-paid college for me . Umm, is north FL any good?

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Tallahasse has better trails than you think. Also some good races at Tom Brown park and I think FSU has a MTN bike team. Good luck with school, I rode a lot when I was in college, was a good way to see the whole area. I'm sure I've been to places in Tally that many students would never go because of my Mountain Bike. Fun way to get around campus too, start up at the Fountain and ride down (campus fun ride).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    I am a sophomore in one of the top 5o high schools in the country. I am obviously planning on going to college. I really want to permanently where I go to college, and I want to make a good choice. I don't want to go to a college where the LBS is a bike shop full of cruisers, trikes, and road bikes. For me, MTBing is a passion that I think will last forever. I have only been "into it" for about 14 months, but I have so much fun riding, I don't think I will ever get it up.

Being a student at West Shore Jr./Sr. High School, expectations are very high. I have to maintain a higher than average GPA and to graduate, I need 4.0 more credits than any other school in my area requires. Since I will be graduating with a Diploma of Distinction, I will be able to get into a pretty good college.

Now, to the point of this post. What areas have alot of great bike shops, with a wide range of MTBs? I want to be somewhere with year round riding (or atleast 8 months per year). I prefer to stay on the east coast, but I don't know how many big bike shops there may be in one popular area.

With colleges that have MTB teams, will those areas have a lot of trails and bike shops?

Thanks,
    Andy
    For someone attending a top 50 High School and going on and on about what a quality education you are receiving, you sure have alot of typos in your message

As far as colleges, I attended UC Santa Cruz.....the place has mountain biking trails running right through campus.......

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    Well, I am planning on finding a pretty good area, with trails of every kind, from bike paths and rail-trails to singletrack and freeride, and a decent climate. I want to find a general area with a few good LBSs within about 1 hour of the place. There are good colleges prettymuch everywhere, and if I narrow it down pretty well to about 5 areas, I will have plenty of options. But I'm not going to be stupid and go to a pretty low-end college just to be near a MTBing area.

I just remembered, my parents are doing Florida Pre-paid college for me . Umm, is north FL any good?
    Do you like football?

Pre-paid college? Yikes, take it! Its worth that alone. You can always ride urban. The pro is you'll be focused to get done quickly. I looked into CU (colorado) when I was going to wichita State... I figured I wouldn't actually go to school if I were near the mountains. I stayed in Wichita (Yuk) and got done with it. Moved to colorado when I was done. never looked back.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara
    For someone attending a top 50 High School and going on and on about what a quality education you are receiving, you sure have alot of typos in your message

As far as colleges, I attended UC Santa Cruz.....the place has mountain biking trails running right through campus.......
    I was just going to mention that!

Not great for distractions, though. I remember dropping by my math class with forearm guards and my mountain bike to drop off my homework and skip lecture. I used failing that class as an excuse to get out of the computer science program for years. At least one of those things was a good decision.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Soooo sorry about the typos. Both of them! I was just distracted by facebook. Sorry, I won't let it happen again

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I guess it would be a very stupid decision if I went to school with a lot of MTBing in the area. It's too much of a distraction already, and I'm living in flat FL. The highest elevation within about 20 miles of my house is the causeway.

mtbr member
    Wvu

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Do/did you go there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    UNLV and Las Vegas. Great year round riding.

mtbr member
    Yes I did.

If your looking for technical east coast riding and mountains West Virginia is the place to be.

There are two really good shops in Morgantown, and lots of group rides and active race series. Wvu has a cycling team as well.

mtbr member
    colleges dont really care what high school you came from. if you want into a good school, you should start applying and looking at grant info asap.

nothing wrong with community college either.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    colleges dont really care what high school you came from. if you want into a good school, you should start applying and looking at grant info asap.

nothing wrong with community college either.
    At this point, I am just seeing what is out there. I will start applying once I am a senior. At my school, we are required to apply to at least 2 or 3 colleges. We are also required to do a senior project, which colleges will look at.

I am totally open to the option of attending a community college for a year or two, to see if I like the area, and I will transfer to a true university.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Colleges don't care too much and more importantly, employers don't either (for the most part). Pick a decent college and do work.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Does North Carolina offer alot of cycling options (shops, trails, etc.)?

Although a solid education is way more important to me, I do want to have the option to go take my bike out and just ride. It is instant stress relief.

www.FreezeThaw.com
    May 2004

State College, PA of course

Penn State (State College) is home to some of the best mountain bike riding in the country. So much that after 4.5 years here my friend and I opened a bike shop and still love being here. We have over 300 miles of rocky trails, in addition to tons of fire roads to connect things. The closest trail head is 4 miles from downtown. Our shop is one of three in town and we specialize in mountain bikes and deal over a dozen brands. Penn State has a cycling club that competes in the Eastern Collegiate Cycling Conference for road and mountain bike racing, although there are plenty of recreational riders as well. We ride pretty much year round here unless there is a ton of ice on the trails. Another nice thing about our town is that you can commute by bike very easily. Academics wise, it depends on your area of interest/study. PSU is a big school with a lot of offerings, you get out of it what you put in. Good luck in your search. -Justin @ Freeze Thaw Cycles, SC PA

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Justin,

Did you study business as Penn State?
    It sounds like such a good area from what you've said. But one problem: go Bucks.

mtbr member
    UF in gainsville,FL has some really good riding as well as a good school depending on your aspirations

ocala - santos
    tampa - alafia, boyette
    as well as the normal local stuff

riding year round if you like heat

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Can't leave out Graham Swamp! I want to move to the northernmost part of FL. I hate it. The heat sucks!

UF is a great college, but it is realllyyy hard to get in to. The requirements go up each year, and I highly doubt I will meet them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    UC Santa Cruz. Ride trails between classes.

All these trails are right on campus. Video is not mine and is a little boring, but it shows how kick ass the trails are.

A few words from the wise: Don't ever lose your love for riding. When I was your age, I was an expert level freestyle BMX'er, sponsored, doing shows, etc. I got into girls and cars and lost focus, subsequently quitting. Don't do that. Stay with it. You will end up being like me kicking yourself in the a$$ for quitting something you love so much for stupidity. Keep riding.

Back to UC Santa Cruz... just a few miles down the road, it looks like this, right on the Pacific Ocean. There are not many places in the world, where the weather is a consistent 50-70 degrees, a multitude of major bike companies reside, and you have epic mountain biking AND surfing within a 10 mile radius.

Last edited by Dion; 09-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd go to Stanford.