Rider, Builder, Dreamer

College Students: what bike stuff do you have at school?

Curious to see what everyone else has at school.

I just got a Nupla McLeod and Rogue Hoe in the mail yesterday, as well as 200 5"x8" x 3' tall blue pin flags. With this addition, my roommate and I have in our college apartment:

2 McLeods
    1 Rogue Hoe
    1 Pulaski
    1 Pick Mattock
    2 Cutter Mattocks
    1 3' Bow Saw
    2 Hatchets
    1 Folding Saw
    1 Gravel Rake
    2 Leaf Rakes

1 Trek Topfuel 9.9SSL
    1 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    1 Trek Remedy 8
    1 Jamis Bam
    1 Steel road bike in the works

plus too many spare bike parts: tires, tubes, wheels, bars, etc. and a ParkTool Stand and tool kit.

Financial Aid is a wonderful thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    1 Trek Topfuel 9.9SSL
    1 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    1 Trek Remedy 8
    1 Jamis Bam
    1 Steel road bike in the works

plus too many spare bike parts: tires, tubes, wheels, bars, etc. and a ParkTool Stand and tool kit.

Financial Aid is a wonderful thing.
    Wait a minute.... I thought collegiate cycling was "about the athletic endeavour" and not consuming $15,000 worth of gear? It's nice stuff, but let's face facts, won't mean the difference between 5-10 and 1-5 place. Well, what say you high school/college cycling advocates that neg-repped me for stating the obvious?

sambs827, that debt is not dischargeable, so you will likely be paying for that gear 20 years from now. That is assuming you can actually service your financial aid debt getting out of college.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Hmmm athletic endeavor, huh? Well in that case:

-The club was founded 7 years ago

-Since then we have produced 4 professional mountain bike guides (in Maine, Utah, Nevada, and Alaska), 2 outdoor sports instructors (now in Boulder, CO), 2 bike shop mechanics, a rock climbing guide, and 1 Pro/Open champ in the NYSMTB series (he took 2nd in the Campmore H2H as well)

-If you were to read any of my other posts you would also gather that we built a 3 mile singletrack loop on high school and city park property which has facilitated the creation of a mountain biking program at said high school. We also recently helped a few of the high schoolers start a mountain biking club at their school.

-We have purchased with our club funding 2 entry level hardtails as well as a full ParkTool kit and over $1000 in trail tools.

-We have bike workshops every week where we help people work on their bikes.

-As a student club we put in several hundred hours of community service each semester. I personally logged over 200 last school year, plus my time as an uncredited, unpaid TA for the Beginner Mountain Biking Class

-We have built over 5 miles of sustainable multi-purpose singletrack in the past 4 years, gained access to private, city and state property, and are still working on more.

-Each school year we tend to bring 6-8 new people into the sport. Most of those end up buying a bike (usually entry-level, and with my/the club's help and advice).

-The club does a few races each year and anyone (regardless of their gear or skill) gets their race paid for by the club. but our main objective is expanding the sport, gaining more access, getting more people interested, and enjoying our time at college in more productive ways than binging on beer every weekend.

-Since the club's beginning 7 years ago, the local bike shop and many of the permanent residents who ride attribute the large biking community and success of the bike shop to the existance and efforts of our club.

As for my financial concerns, they're just that: my concerns. That being said, you may put your mind at ease since I will more than likely be teaching Beginner Mountain Biking and maybe Trail Design & Construction at this same college next fall while wrenching part time at the local bike shop. I do hope I am athletic enough in my endeavours to gain your approval, Jesus.

It's about showing up.
    Forgive them, Samb,; so many people simply cannot see beyond riding their bike. They don't understand that this sport is still young and developing and that its growth and enrichment determine our place in the future. Those sorts of tasks require a different kind of energy.

Great work.
    I don't rattle.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like you have a terrific club going. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

(And don't worry about trying to win the approval of any self-appointed internet messiahs).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfloren View Post
    (And don't worry about trying to win the approval of any self-appointed internet messiahs).
    ^This

And as far as what I've got, a Giant XTC (lots of parts) and full set of Park tools, stands, etc. I work at a bike shop

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshawn View Post
    ^This

And as far as what I've got, a Giant XTC (lots of parts) and full set of Park tools, stands, etc. I work at a bike shop

I'll have all the tools soon; for the same reason. I have access to them now, so I guess that counts (?)

Also, my roommate from last semester graduated so his TopFuel, his girlfriend's Blur LT, most of the ParkTool stuff, and a few of the trail tools are gone. Parted out my Remedy and Jamis to fund the new ride, a '13 Stumpy Evo. Sold most of the parts, still trying to unload the frames. Right now they're wall ornaments.

I'm working with a couple other guys to scrape together parts to build up my 2000 GT I-Drive XCR-5000. Plan is to build it up from spare parts, have it is a club bike available for sale at a low price for one of the high school or new college kids trying to get into the sport. Should be a fun project.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My bike shop might be closing actually, so I'm left with nothing. It'll be a sad, sad day.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshawn View Post
    My bike shop might be closing actually, so I'm left with nothing. It'll be a sad, sad day.
    Or a day to buy cheap bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Where is your bike shop? Nah just kidding I like my new giant, dont have the cash for another bike, sadly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanMTB View Post
    Or a day to buy cheap bikes
    Haha I wish. It's the Arizona State university bike co-op so we don't sell bikes, we just fix student's bikes.