mtbr member
    May 2010

College and the High Life

Does/did anyone drink High Life in college? I'm a junior right now and constantly get picked on for drinking high life (all in fun). My friends say I'm like their dad. What gives? It's cheap (10 bucks for 18 pack of bottles) and tastes delicious. What do you guys have to say?

Former Bike Wrench
    Well it is cheap...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Haha well that's kind of my point. Does it taste that bad? Or am I crazy for liking it. I don't really mind because I don't have to worry about people drinking the beer I bring to the party so all for me

Ride or die
    I used to drink Natty ice before football games because it was like 10 bucks for two 12 packs. After 2-3 who cares about the taste.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by vollmerj
    Haha well that's kind of my point. Does it taste that bad? Or am I crazy for liking it. I don't really mind because I don't have to worry about people drinking the beer I bring to the party so all for me
    I used to drink Rainier Pounders when I was your age (12 pack of 16oz bottles for $5) so I can't really criticize.

I don't particularly like Miller but it tastes better than many Euro green bottle beers that cost 2x as much so its got that going for it.

mtbr member
    I started off on Anchor Steam, and went up from there. During College i was drinking rare bottles i traded for around the world. So no i didn't live the high-life, guess i missed out.

mtbr member
    I was living too much of the high-life one night, now I cant stand the stuff. I am also in college my go to brew was keystone lite and its 11.99 for a 24 pack of 16oz cans. Lately though I dont have time to party so ive been getting microbrews and sipping on 2 or 3 of those a week

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikeloco
    I used to drink Natty ice before football games because it was like 10 bucks for two 12 packs. After 2-3 who cares about the taste.
    It's funny you mention that. I go to school at Southern Illinois and one of the bars in a town way off campus advertises "saturday is naturday" and has dollar cans of natty. It was culture shock to me. I'm from the suburbs of Chicago and was only used to seeing miller, bud, etc. products advertised haha not even the bars on campus advertise cheap natty

Hi.
    I used the live the High Life regularly. It was dirt cheap and, to me, tasted better than Coors or Bud. Natty Ice was good too in college, for Beirut/Beer Pong and parties.

When we were ballin' on a budget, we'd pick up a sixer of Olympia pounders. $0.50 a beer, and "It's the water..."

My spelling is atroshus
    Natty is drinkable if it's damned near frozen at the time of consumption.

Broke college student
    Dec 2009
    Colt 45 is only $2.00 for a 40oz. Two of them will getcha feelin good. That's $4.00 for a good buzz. Better believe I take advantage of that. Leaves me more money for bike parts! And yes, I'm a college student. And no, I can't tell the difference between good beer and crappy beer after 3 or 4. That's the point of buying cheap beer!
    I like beer.

tl1
    Bicyclist

They did put out a...

...cool bicycle related commercial.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickav21
    Colt 45 is only $2.00 for a 40oz. Two of them will getcha feelin good. That's $4.00 for a good buzz. Better believe I take advantage of that. Leaves me more money for bike parts! And yes, I'm a college student. And no, I can't tell the difference between good beer and crappy beer after 3 or 4. That's the point of buying cheap beer!

It's funny how times change. I recently spent $60 on 4 bottles of beer at a local shop....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    It's funny how times change. I recently spent $60 on 4 bottles of beer at a local shop....
    Yea, in november bought 6 bottles of BCS Rare......$300.

It was an amazing beer though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    To the OP- I love good beer and am a total beer snob. But of all the cheap disgusting BMC products out there, High Life is pretty far ahead of the rest in my opinion.

It's not all that bad.

Afric Pepperbird
    There were next to no craft beers when I was in college (late 80's). We drank Old Milwaukee, some High Life, some Huber. Maybe a Busch here and there. But Old Mil was the standard.

Heck, PBR was still years away from great popularity back then!

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I used to drink Rainier Pounders when I was your age (12 pack of 16oz bottles for $5) so I can't really criticize.

I don't particularly like Miller but it tastes better than many Euro green bottle beers that cost 2x as much so its got that going for it.
    I can get Rainier in cans at a few places here in Bend, but I'd love to score me some bottles!

btw, do any of you guys like the look of the new Olympia cans? A lot more orange color was added. I like it.

mtbr member
    I love High Life- you gotta treat yourself right kid! Ice cold on a summer day.....ah! They even have retro cans now!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    I can get Rainier in cans at a few places here in Bend, but I'd love to score me some bottles!

btw, do any of you guys like the look of the new Olympia cans? A lot more orange color was added. I like it.
    To be fair...current Rainier and Olympia is owned by Pabst and brewed by...Miller. To me both taste almost identical to PBR which is fine. I know Rainier can be found in 12oz longnecks but no pounder bottles AFAIK. Oly should only come in one type of bottle, the 11oz stubby!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the champagne of beers

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    To be fair...current Rainier and Olympia is owned by Pabst and brewed by...Miller. To me both taste almost identical to PBR which is fine. I know Rainier can be found in 12oz longnecks but no pounder bottles AFAIK. Oly should only come in one type of bottle, the 11oz stubby!
    Where can Rainier be found in bottles?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The champagne of beers indeed! Loved that commercial tl1 haha. About the retro cans, I find the taste of high life significantly different out of a can. I only drink it out of a bottle. How bout you guys?
    "Sir, you're drunk!" "Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."