Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

college dream bike finished! tell me what you think.

hey everyone,

over the last 4 months i have been building up my dream bike, or at least the closest thing to it.
    im currently a double major, business management and accounting, i also work full time managing a shoe store- ive been riding about 3 years now and finally scraped enough money up to build this-

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK- GOOD THE BAD OR THE UGLY-
    i was going to more of a trail / light dh style bike that would be decent for 30 mile xc rides if needed- built the color scheme from the wheels that my gf got me for xmas! with that we just finished up her build as well!

frame- 2010 santa cruz blur lt2
    fork- fox 32 FIT RLC 15mm thru axle
    rear- rp23
    crank- noir carbon 2x9 setup
    bash gard- e13 turbocharger
    bb- gxp
    front derailleur- will be x9
    rear derailleur- x9
    shirter- x9
    brakes- juicy 5
    gear- sram 970
    wheels- easton haven
    tires- weirwolf 2.3 am ust tubless
    pedels- candy 2
    handlebars- easton haven
    stem- split second 70, 00.00.01
    seatpost- thompson elite
    seat- wtb silverado slx
    headset- chris king
    chain- 970
    grips- lizard skin peaty
    extras- kcnc hollow tech spacers, seat clamp and skewers,
    weight is 28.94 lbs-

pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You must sell a lot of shoes to make a bike that nice...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Looks a lot like mine, love it. Great build you will love your blur.

Threading freely...
    Looks gorgeous...

From an aesthetic perspective, two things look a little off to me (IMHO). The lizard skin grip clamps are clash with the frame red. They are too close in color not to match. I'd either go for an other color or get a perfect match. Also, your stem is very nice, but that open design with that goldish set of bars with non-slip ridges doesn't quite do it for me. A great stem like that needs to be married to the right bars.... (And again, the bars are too close in color to the fork not to be a near perfect match.) ;-)

Enjoy riding that beauty!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Jeez dude, that beats my rusted out Raleigh that I had in college. Enjoy the bike but I would be really nervous having that bike in a dorm.

mtbr member
    polymathic- i have the same hand grips but in a diff color on the way- went black grip with silver sides to it- great eye! i almost din't post pics because of that- as far as the handle bars go- i hoped they would match the fork and the silver accents on the bike like the headset and seat clamp (and many more) however they match the wheelset the best- haven bars, haven wheelset- its hard to see it in the pics but they match 100%

puckhead- thanks man, i live in a house at this point, senior- but i took out renters insurance just for my bikes- im scared ****-less every day im not in my room- which is most days

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Very nice build mate.

Personally I like the bars matched with the wheelset, looks trick....

Now go give it a thrashing and send us a ride report!
    Bikes, beer and pizza.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Ha, Ha, you've got to love it...... don't let your dog crap in the area..... what the...... rattlers abound and your walking a dog there!! Pure irony!! Sweet!

[/QUOTE]
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

Creepy tooth fairy
    I sure as hell could have never afforded anything like that in college...I had a steel '87 Rockhopper...in 1987. It might have cost around $500-600. Powder blue with pink decals to match my punk rock visage. My uncle gave me half the dough to buy it. I ate lots of Ramen noodles and drank cheap beer.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    very very nice! I had a Rocky Element in college, but it rode nothing like my BLT

You're totally going to enjoy the new ride.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY
    I sure as hell could have never afforded anything like that in college...I had a steel '87 Rockhopper...in 1987. It might have cost around $500-600. Powder blue with pink decals to match my punk rock visage. My uncle gave me half the dough to buy it. I ate lots of Ramen noodles and drank cheap beer.
    Fantastic looking bike- the matching easton wheels and bars are stylin'! Congrats!

to Hellbelly- yeah, Im with you on the college bike. I worked PT at the campus bookstore and Macy's during school in the early 80's and my dream bike was a Miyata road bike- which was in the $500 range- couldnt really afford it so kept riding a Huffy clunker road bike ( the kind with those extra brake levers to reach from the top of the bars!) purchased from the Navy Exchange.

pants on head retarded
    College bike was a Trek 7000...

I'm in love with those Easton Haven components... Not so in love with the 800 dollar price tag for that wheelset!

Looks GREAT!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yurtinus
    College bike was a Trek 7000...

I'm in love with those Easton Haven components... Not so in love with the 800 dollar price tag for that wheelset!

Looks GREAT!
    Colorado Cyclist has the 9 mm hub convertible to 15 mm 26" in. set on clearance for $498

($199 for the front, $299 rear)

mtbr member
    I think if you go to COLLEGE, then it's waaaayyyyy too much bike. If you are a "struggling university student" (that means rich kid calling college university and probably not paying for university edu- ma-cation), then you don't need to pretend like it's a stretch to buy a nice bike.
    "It looks flexy"

Threading freely...
    How does university vs college has anything to do with being a rich kid? A university is an institution that includes several colleges (undergrad, graduate, lay school, etc).

Anyhow, I bought my Blur LT carbon used from a high school kid (who paid for it himself). So... it's just a matter of priorities. If anything, I found it easier to justify a pricey toy in college than now, when I have a wife, two kids, and a mortgage. Makes me more spendthrift.

Lastly, a college kid is likely to get the most use of this bike, not some weekend warrior saddled with long work hours and needy kids.

mtbr member

Sick!

Few more things to get for my Blur LT2. . . Waiting for the wheels and then it's go time. Got the same color Haven Bars and Haven Stem. Nice to see them mounted. That thing is badass. Go ride that beast and spend the night in as many random girls dorm rooms as many nights as possible before you get to almost 30 and regret your negligence!
    "The only way to see this, is to come out here and see it."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I think if you go to COLLEGE, then it's waaaayyyyy too much bike. If you are a "struggling university student" (that means rich kid calling college university and probably not paying for university edu- ma-cation), then you don't need to pretend like it's a stretch to buy a nice bike.
    who said i was a "struggling" student?

my bad for working over 40 hours a week managing a store while being a full time student without debt or parent help- my bad for having a nicer bike than you do at my age, sorry for not going out to the bars every night like you and all my friends do and did- sorry for learning time management and money management at a young age, sorry for networking and self advertising to get ahead. sorry for not being the wellfare entitled person you think i am. sorry for not being that trust fund baby you think i am, i work for what i have, even at the cost of having a "normal college experiance" i spend more time in the classroom and store than i do at anything else- and you feel the need to attack me for it- thanks-

mtbr member
    Haha, yes. Just finished my bachelors recently myself. 2 years with 2 jobs and 12 hours a semester and then been 40 hours a week with 15 hours for the last year.

The Blur is necessary. Good work. A guy I work with just told me the frame was the best purchase I've ever made. I agreed. A present for graduating.

The haters are weak. You will ride faster than them always. Judgmental internet forum replies, what a life. Enjoy!
    "The only way to see this, is to come out here and see it."

mtbr member
    O
    Quote Originally Posted by saxen
    who said i was a "struggling" student?

my bad for working over 40 hours a week managing a store while being a full time student without debt or parent help- my bad for having a nicer bike than you do at my age, sorry for not going out to the bars every night like you and all my friends do and did- sorry for learning time management and money management at a young age, sorry for networking and self advertising to get ahead. sorry for not being the wellfare entitled person you think i am. sorry for not being that trust fund baby you think i am, i work for what i have, even at the cost of having a "normal college experiance" i spend more time in the classroom and store than i do at anything else- and you feel the need to attack me for it- thanks-
    Hey, good job. Not the norm and I probably mis read the first post. sorry .
    "It looks flexy"

bike rider
    The bike looks sick. The Ruca shirt in a snowy Colorado backdrop, a little out of place.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member

Good job!

Sorry for being such a D-bag yesterday.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    awesome looking bike, it's gonna be a kick-ass ride for sure
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Great looking build! Now get some dirt on it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Props for the hard work and nice bike. I worked full time and got my business degree full time as well. It's gnarly but worth the effort. Now I'm more focused on quality of life than getting ahead. I love your bike though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Sorry for being such a D-bag yesterday.
    its all good man- and really you were right on the norm-

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    The bike looks sick. The Ruca shirt in a snowy Colorado backdrop, a little out of place.
    you couldent have said that better- the snow is killing me!

just got fitted last night- took some spacers out and lowered the stem a bit- deff feels better- now it needs to warm up- err and i need a chainstay protector.

thanks for the comments everyone else- i really hope i like it-

this is the gf's new bike- were planning a few trips over summer once we get enough pto to cover us. she is working full time for banner health and taking night classes for nursing- dont see to much of her anymore so this summer will be good

im sure she will post some more pics comming up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast