Thread: College Bikes?

mtbr member

College Bikes?

So im heading to college in a fairly soon. I cant stand to ride crap bikes (wal mart) but also cant stand to see a nice bike rust in the elements (you have to leave your bikes outside).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should build for my college bike, im thinking fat tires and single speed.
    Everything should be sealed and stainless i guess but i would like to hear suggestions from you crazy bike geeks here on mtbr.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Old Schwinn cruiser with coaster brake and fenders. Preferably prerusted.

AZ
    banned
    /\ winner

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I'd switch the cruiser to road bike but thats about it. Also I'm assuming that this is for your commuter. Most people I know never had a problem keeping their mtb's in their dorm.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

Jul 2009
    I am thinking about sending my daughter off to school next fall with a Redline Monocog 29er. Inexpensive and fewer mechanical parts to have problems with.

mtbr member
    I am riding my old gary fisher tarpon that got me into mountain biking. Its in its 3rd year of commuting to class and its been outside 3/4 of the time (only in summers is it parked in my garage at home)

Id say go with a hardtail, granted its going to get rusty. Id check out what you can score used check craigslist or other places

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Longboard!

Goes with you where ever you go. No locks, chains, u-locks. The board will rot, not rust. AND you can ride on sidewalks and not feel too bad.

mtbr member
    Late 80s, early 90s fully rigid steel MTB. They are too ugly to steal, likely durable enough to handle your commute, and they can fit fat tires. All I do is oil my chain, and change brake pads from time to time. Fat slicks + rigid makes a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Craigslist special

If you don't want to ride Wal Mark crap, find a 90's vintage mountain bike. Low cost is the key, because if anything of value is on the bike it will be stolen. Years ago when I was in school thieves would unbolt your stem, clip your cables and make off with your stem, handlebars, grips, shifters and brake-levers in about 30 seconds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    disassemble the bike and toss it under your bed after a ride.. you're gonna destroy anything leaving it out in the rain!

College Boy
    I would say get 2 bikes.
    1 is your trail riding bike that is stored in your room (like hell does the nice one get stored out in the elements) and then you want a crap bike that you keep outside to go 2 and from class in and even then walmart is not the way to go.

I would say for going to class and what not go look at the cheapest model from the bigger name bikes. Haro I know made a pretty good campus bike that you could get for under 300 new. It was great for campus going around to class.

Your good bikes stays your dorm room and then your campus bike stays outside unless you see weather coming in and well then it 2 will move into the dorm room for the night. I will tell you that while I was in school I knew multiple people who kept their bikes in their rooms. A few of the roommates complained but most of them accepted it after it was explain to them how much the bikes were worth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Old bike +

Get an older, but still nice bike. And spray paint it with a rattle can. Everything. Seat, bars, tires, etc. It'll look like a beater and nobody will take it.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    you should be able to fit your bike under your bed on its side in the dorm. Thats where mine stays.

mtbr member
    See i was thinking alfine hub, stainless/ aluminum/ ti everything and a treated surly 1x1 frame that way fat tires would be good to go and it would make a nice bike for when i graduate. Besides 1x1s look like a pos to start with
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    different colleges have differnt bike thief situation, if your gong to a party type school like your uc santa barbera, san diego, or chico state, then you probably cant get away with anythng nicer than a rusted shwinn cruiser, most other colleges have a more biker friendly atmosphere and you can leave a much nicer bike outside with fewer worries. Just look at what the locals are riding, and go one stem more lowkey that that, if everyone is riding around on brand new specialized hardrocks or similar you can get away with a nice late 90s hartail running xtr 950 and hardly be noticed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slope folk
    I am thinking about sending my daughter off to school next fall with a Redline Monocog 29er. Inexpensive and fewer mechanical parts to have problems with.
    Unless she's really good about locking it up with a good lock that won't last long.

College Boy
    Oh something I noticed while i was at Texas Tech is most people are bike idiots and do not really know a difference between an XTR rear D. and a cheap one used on Wal word bike. I know multiple people who think the the crap FS NEXT bikes with Disc brakes are better than 07 base model Rockhopper. We all know the Rockhopper is a better bike but those people dont.

Just make sure you campus bike is a Hard tail with V-Brakes and it makes it look a lot crappier than it really is since well most people think a bike is a bike.

bi-winning
    This year I built myself up a bike for commuting to campus.

It's based on a 2000 Norco Kokanee frame (steel hardtail), using the original 8 speed Acera drivetrain, and V-brakes.
    Swapped the RST fork to a rigid Kona.
    Installed rack, and fenders.

Total cost to me was ~$335. I don't like crappy bikes either.

As for rust; lots of grease or lube where appropriate. I'll probably try to treat the frame to some framesaver/anti-rust spray before winter hits.

That said, when the weather is bad, I often just take the bus.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I wouldn't leave a 1x1 outside in the elements. Go for the old, prerusted bike for the commuter. Bike thefts are way too common on campuses. I'd even be careful storing a bike in the dorm room. When I went to Ball State, they had bike lockers, $50 / year and they'd fit a couple of bikes. Sadly they're not theft proof, you still need to keep the bikes locked up inside. But it keeps things out of the rain and out of sight.

mtbr member
    I've seen bike bashed up just for the heck of it too; nothing stolen, someone just felt like kicking in a wheel or smashing a fork, frame, etc.

Flystagg makes a great point about observing the biking atmosphere of your particular college

mtbr member
    my son is headed to college next year, he gets to take my re-built 1999 iron horse 8.0. frame is still good, but scraped up so it won't jump out at potential thieves. by the time he goes it will most likely be a fully rigid SS. he's also going to be on the schools mtb team so we'll have to figure out how to get his c'dale there too.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I commuted on both a craigslist road frame converted to SS and a SS GT that had the paint stripped. I would say that the mountain bike was just more fun to ride and held up to the curbs and occasional "short cut" better than the road bike. I never had any problems with people messing with the bike, though the less decals on the bike the less it will stand out

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bikes get stolen at college, its a fact of life. It doesn't really matter what type, everything gets stolen, even really crappy ones.

It's about showing up.

Bikes at college are for stealing

I like the sleeper approach of a late 80's steel hardtail. No adjustable seat post collars. No Skewers if possible. It can look like crap for all I care but if it is tuned and lubed you will be a happy rider.