Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117

    Cast-off parts for High School MTB Club wanted

    Last Thursday night we had our 4th Annual Parent’s Meeting for the El Cerrito High School MTB Club which kicks off our season. We try to make it a feel-good, which is pretty easy as we have a great organization and Club members. Our goal is to overcome parental resistance, engage curiosity, and establish faith in our leadership. This is largely the validation of MTB as a meaningful sport just like other Varsity Sports. We also deal with issues concerning “danger and harm” by bringing it back to our reality of training, discipline, and mutual responsibility. There is much to tell about the day to day stuff and that can be fun. And now, after 3 seasons, we have a history and traditions.
    We fielded the usual questions about cost, what kind of bike, will this bike work, how much is a bike and so on? We’ve gotten pretty good at helping people be smart about spending money. The toughest question is “what if we don’t have (can’t afford) a bike. At this point we talk about looking for help in the MTB community, amassing parts, and donated bikes, and cross our fingers.
    Last year the denizens of the Norcal MTBR Forum came forward with some pretty generous support. CDMC, Zorglub, KushDent, 8track, and Jorgemonkey( may I have chainsuck AND a flat for each one I left out) laid some pretty nice stuff on us and it is gold. A lot of this stuff gets swapped onto bikes for upgrades (canti’s to v-brakes, 7-8 spd to 9 spd), a better fit (riser or stem) or repair (a broken derailleur is replaced) or someone gets their first set of clipless pedals or finally a decent seat. A frame here or there and a bunch of parts and before you know it someone without a bike has a ride; a bit of patchwork but solid; I ride them hard twice myself before I give them up or I trust Lincoln’s (Dr. Link) skilled hand,
    Many of us on this site have gone through our bikes numerous times and have a box of cast-off parts. All the coaches have long since gone through theirs having fitted them on the kids bikes, though I do have a Smoke and Dart hanging on the wall. With my new crop of kids, often non-traditional athletes, I had some without the means for getting a bike: dad’s out of work and such. I saw them at our meeting and they want to be part of the great thing we do. Who can blame them?
    So I ask you all here if you will support us with your cast-offs. Look in your garage or shed or under your bed for that box of things which gets created when you satisfy your Thompson Jones, set aside that shock for the new 105mm, or replaced your Lx with XT or Sram. Would you help us out?
    As Treasurer (and Director Sportif) I am privilaged to recieve donations and provide a Tax Deduction form with our Tax ID number as these are Tax Deductible donations. If neccesary i will cover shipping, come by your place and pick-up, or arrange a drop off at an LBS. I do this faithfully. I will also send you a Team Picture and we look goood!
    PS. The top picture is from 2002 when we were just getting started. The bottom is from last February with our new kit. I could tell you stories.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: imridingmybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Last Thursday night we had our 4th Annual Parent’s Meeting for the El Cerrito High School MTB Club which kicks off our season. We try to make it a feel-good, which is pretty easy as we have a great organization and Club members. Our goal is to overcome parental resistance, engage curiosity, and establish faith in our leadership. This is largely the validation of MTB as a meaningful sport just like other Varsity Sports. We also deal with issues concerning “danger and harm” by bringing it back to our reality of training, discipline, and mutual responsibility. There is much to tell about the day to day stuff and that can be fun. And now, after 3 seasons, we have a history and traditions.
    We fielded the usual questions about cost, what kind of bike, will this bike work, how much is a bike and so on? We’ve gotten pretty good at helping people be smart about spending money. The toughest question is “what if we don’t have (can’t afford) a bike. At this point we talk about looking for help in the MTB community, amassing parts, and donated bikes, and cross our fingers.
    Last year the denizens of the Norcal MTBR Forum came forward with some pretty generous support. CDMC, Zorglub, KushDent, 8track, and Jorgemonkey( may I have chainsuck AND a flat for each one I left out) laid some pretty nice stuff on us and it is gold. A lot of this stuff gets swapped onto bikes for upgrades (canti’s to v-brakes, 7-8 spd to 9 spd), a better fit (riser or stem) or repair (a broken derailleur is replaced) or someone gets their first set of clipless pedals or finally a decent seat. A frame here or there and a bunch of parts and before you know it someone without a bike has a ride; a bit of patchwork but solid; I ride them hard twice myself before I give them up or I trust Lincoln’s (Dr. Link) skilled hand,
    Many of us on this site have gone through our bikes numerous times and have a box of cast-off parts. All the coaches have long since gone through theirs having fitted them on the kids bikes, though I do have a Smoke and Dart hanging on the wall. With my new crop of kids, often non-traditional athletes, I had some without the means for getting a bike: dad’s out of work and such. I saw them at our meeting and they want to be part of the great thing we do. Who can blame them?
    So I ask you all here if you will support us with your cast-offs. Look in your garage or shed or under your bed for that box of things which gets created when you satisfy your Thompson Jones, set aside that shock for the new 105mm, or replaced your Lx with XT or Sram. Would you help us out?
    As Treasurer (and Director Sportif) I am privilaged to recieve donations and provide a Tax Deduction form with our Tax ID number as these are Tax Deductible donations. If neccesary i will cover shipping, come by your place and pick-up, or arrange a drop off at an LBS. I do this faithfully. I will also send you a Team Picture and we look goood!
    PS. The top picture is from 2002 when we were just getting started. The bottom is from last February with our new kit. I could tell you stories.....
    I didn't read anything but the headline - but I didn't see a list of what you need. Can you post one?

  3. #3
    J_B
    J_B is offline
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Reputation: J_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Last Thursday night we had our 4th Annual Parent’s Meeting for the El Cerrito High School MTB Club which kicks off our season. We try to make it a feel-good, which is pretty easy as we have a great organization and Club members. Our goal is to overcome parental resistance, engage curiosity, and establish faith in our leadership. This is largely the validation of MTB as a meaningful sport just like other Varsity Sports. We also deal with issues concerning “danger and harm” by bringing it back to our reality of training, discipline, and mutual responsibility. There is much to tell about the day to day stuff and that can be fun. And now, after 3 seasons, we have a history and traditions.
    We fielded the usual questions about cost, what kind of bike, will this bike work, how much is a bike and so on? We’ve gotten pretty good at helping people be smart about spending money. The toughest question is “what if we don’t have (can’t afford) a bike. At this point we talk about looking for help in the MTB community, amassing parts, and donated bikes, and cross our fingers.
    Last year the denizens of the Norcal MTBR Forum came forward with some pretty generous support. CDMC, Zorglub, KushDent, 8track, and Jorgemonkey( may I have chainsuck AND a flat for each one I left out) laid some pretty nice stuff on us and it is gold. A lot of this stuff gets swapped onto bikes for upgrades (canti’s to v-brakes, 7-8 spd to 9 spd), a better fit (riser or stem) or repair (a broken derailleur is replaced) or someone gets their first set of clipless pedals or finally a decent seat. A frame here or there and a bunch of parts and before you know it someone without a bike has a ride; a bit of patchwork but solid; I ride them hard twice myself before I give them up or I trust Lincoln’s (Dr. Link) skilled hand,
    Many of us on this site have gone through our bikes numerous times and have a box of cast-off parts. All the coaches have long since gone through theirs having fitted them on the kids bikes, though I do have a Smoke and Dart hanging on the wall. With my new crop of kids, often non-traditional athletes, I had some without the means for getting a bike: dad’s out of work and such. I saw them at our meeting and they want to be part of the great thing we do. Who can blame them?
    So I ask you all here if you will support us with your cast-offs. Look in your garage or shed or under your bed for that box of things which gets created when you satisfy your Thompson Jones, set aside that shock for the new 105mm, or replaced your Lx with XT or Sram. Would you help us out?
    As Treasurer (and Director Sportif) I am privilaged to recieve donations and provide a Tax Deduction form with our Tax ID number as these are Tax Deductible donations. If neccesary i will cover shipping, come by your place and pick-up, or arrange a drop off at an LBS. I do this faithfully. I will also send you a Team Picture and we look goood!
    PS. The top picture is from 2002 when we were just getting started. The bottom is from last February with our new kit. I could tell you stories.....
    I have a set of Easton riser bars and a set of Hayes Mags that I can part with. They will need new brake shoes and most likely need to be bled. The brakes are only a season old.

    Where do I send them?

    I have a 100mm Thompson stem but the faceplate is cracked. I was told by a few riding partners that Thompson will send a new faceplate out if you call them but I never did since the 100mm was way too long for me anyways. Do you want that also?
    PipeHittersUnion

    e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

  4. #4
    Silence! I kill you!
    Reputation: jorgemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Last Thursday night we had our 4th Annual Parent’s Meeting for the El Cerrito High School MTB Club which kicks off our season. We try to make it a feel-good, which is pretty easy as we have a great organization and Club members. Our goal is to overcome parental resistance, engage curiosity, and establish faith in our leadership. This is largely the validation of MTB as a meaningful sport just like other Varsity Sports. We also deal with issues concerning “danger and harm” by bringing it back to our reality of training, discipline, and mutual responsibility. There is much to tell about the day to day stuff and that can be fun. And now, after 3 seasons, we have a history and traditions.
    We fielded the usual questions about cost, what kind of bike, will this bike work, how much is a bike and so on? We’ve gotten pretty good at helping people be smart about spending money. The toughest question is “what if we don’t have (can’t afford) a bike. At this point we talk about looking for help in the MTB community, amassing parts, and donated bikes, and cross our fingers.
    Last year the denizens of the Norcal MTBR Forum came forward with some pretty generous support. CDMC, Zorglub, KushDent, 8track, and Jorgemonkey( may I have chainsuck AND a flat for each one I left out) laid some pretty nice stuff on us and it is gold. A lot of this stuff gets swapped onto bikes for upgrades (canti’s to v-brakes, 7-8 spd to 9 spd), a better fit (riser or stem) or repair (a broken derailleur is replaced) or someone gets their first set of clipless pedals or finally a decent seat. A frame here or there and a bunch of parts and before you know it someone without a bike has a ride; a bit of patchwork but solid; I ride them hard twice myself before I give them up or I trust Lincoln’s (Dr. Link) skilled hand,
    Many of us on this site have gone through our bikes numerous times and have a box of cast-off parts. All the coaches have long since gone through theirs having fitted them on the kids bikes, though I do have a Smoke and Dart hanging on the wall. With my new crop of kids, often non-traditional athletes, I had some without the means for getting a bike: dad’s out of work and such. I saw them at our meeting and they want to be part of the great thing we do. Who can blame them?
    So I ask you all here if you will support us with your cast-offs. Look in your garage or shed or under your bed for that box of things which gets created when you satisfy your Thompson Jones, set aside that shock for the new 105mm, or replaced your Lx with XT or Sram. Would you help us out?
    As Treasurer (and Director Sportif) I am privilaged to recieve donations and provide a Tax Deduction form with our Tax ID number as these are Tax Deductible donations. If neccesary i will cover shipping, come by your place and pick-up, or arrange a drop off at an LBS. I do this faithfully. I will also send you a Team Picture and we look goood!
    PS. The top picture is from 2002 when we were just getting started. The bottom is from last February with our new kit. I could tell you stories.....
    Hey! Are you gonna make it to the ride in Auburn tomorow? If so, I got a few more goodies for ya. If not, I'm sure we can arrange to go riding sometime and I could bring the parts to ya.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

    My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

  5. #5
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117

    Cool!

    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    I have a set of Easton riser bars and a set of Hayes Mags that I can part with. They will need new brake shoes and most likely need to be bled. The brakes are only a season old.

    Where do I send them?

    I have a 100mm Thompson stem but the faceplate is cracked. I was told by a few riding partners that Thompson will send a new faceplate out if you call them but I never did since the 100mm was way too long for me anyways. Do you want that also?
    That all sounds great. I know I could get a repacement plate form somewhere. The short stem will work on one of our bikes for sure: freshmen start small and grow over the season, sometimes right before your eyes.
    email me at:
    michael@mejiaphoto.com

  6. #6
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117

    Dang! I'm at Billy Cross tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Hey! Are you gonna make it to the ride in Auburn tomorow? If so, I got a few more goodies for ya. If not, I'm sure we can arrange to go riding sometime and I could bring the parts to ya.
    and Sunday at Annadel. Does that work?
    You could email me at:
    michael@mejiaphoto.com

  7. #7
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,180
    I've got a lot of parts I can send you. PM me and we'll figure a way to get them to you.

  8. #8
    VTT
    VTT is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    411
    I also have a lot of part to donate:
    XL 857 Proflex frame with BB, 130 mm stem, 3" Cross Link fork
    Another 3" Cross Link fork
    a 2003-4 ? Rock Shock Duke U-turn fork
    Front and rear Shimano wheels
    8 speed cassette
    Used helmet
    and enough part to rebuilt another bike (seat, shifters, seat post...) all 8 speeds

    I could PM you my address for pick-up

  9. #9
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117

    I am never surprised and always amazed

    when you guys come through like this.

    One of the repondents here asked for a list of what we need. I hate to be vague but since my last team meeting I have a couple of girls who's parents are hedging. If I can get bikes under two of them I know I have a third who's folks will hop on. One girl has a bike but "thinks it needs tires." Then there are two boys....

    Anyhow: wheels are huge, as are cranks and forks as they are "big ticket" and hard to find for under $100 and be of any use. Shifters and ders add up quickly. We can pop for stems, posts, cogsets, bars, bb, headsets but they are ALWAYS welcome. Bars and stems go into a box and as the kids grow we swap around. I have mostly freshmen and sophmores who can grwo 4 inches in a few months; like I say stems and such....

    To tell the truth the bikes we build are pretty good rides. To get a new bike even at a discount, say a Trek 4500 or a Hardrock, is about $350. With luck that kind of coin can support the building of 2 or 3 bikes. Some of the bikes that we build up will come back to us if the kids don't pan out; it happens. We end up taking the very best parts and swapping them onto the bikes that do stay under dedicated kids. It isn't a straight line thing; there are so many variables.

    I have had a contact or two and will address them more tomorrow. If you would care to offer us your support would you please email me at:
    michael@mejiaphoto.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,289
    i certainly have a 'goody bag' of assorted stuff that i'd be happy for you guys to have. only issue is getting it to you. i'm in lafayette--am out of town this week (and most of the next 3-4 weeks). happy to leave it on my front porch or wait until i see you again.

    i appreciate what you guys do on this effort, it's a great thing to get kids involved in this sport...

  11. #11
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117

    Making contact for goodies

    I am scrambling to pull together 3 more bikes for kids who have nothing to ride by Thanksgiving. I have already put 2 bikes under kids and am assembling a nice cromo frame as we speak. Wheels! Cranks! Shocks! Frames! All needed.
    It is strange and cool to have piles of parts that don't go together until one key part gives us direction.
    We really appreciate your help.

  12. #12
    I love burritos.
    Reputation: Lemonhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    I am scrambling to pull together 3 more bikes for kids who have nothing to ride by Thanksgiving. I have already put 2 bikes under kids and am assembling a nice cromo frame as we speak. Wheels! Cranks! Shocks! Frames! All needed.
    It is strange and cool to have piles of parts that don't go together until one key part gives us direction.
    We really appreciate your help.
    Mike, I have a bike and other parts for you. PM'd you.
    I love it...now make me HATE it!

    Quick Nuts -- the best thing to happen to disc brakes.

  13. #13
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,478
    I got a spare m761 shimano rear der. hanging around, I dunno if that helps. brand new in the box too!

  14. #14
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117

    I just realized

    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    I got a spare m761 shimano rear der. hanging around, I dunno if that helps. brand new in the box too!
    what a sweet der that is.That is deifintely an upgrade. I'll pm you.

  15. #15
    Bunny Hugger
    Reputation: PNWJerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    216

    Some Spare Parts Need A Good Home

    I have:

    Shimano XT F/R V-brakeset -- bnib
    SRAM 5.0 8-speed cassette -- bnib
    SRAM Centera 8-speed twist shifters -- nos
    Rock Shox Psylo SL with U-Turn -- good cond
    IRD riser handlebar -- good cond
    Specialized S-Works Rockster 1.9 race tires -- brand new
    Ritchey and Control Tech seatposts -- great cond
    Various other seatposts, tires, handlebars, stems not here with me.

    You and your kids can have it all. I need to clean house. PM me with your address. I'll try to get it to you by early next week, if not sooner.

    The picture of your first group really touched me. Thanks.
    Hug the Bunny

  16. #16
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,700

    Is that one Jeremiah Holland squatting front & center?

    I don't have much to offer -- a set of cranks, stem, handlebar, saddle & tires perhaps. I'm in Rockridge; if you find yourself this way, I'll be glad to drag it out for you.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  17. #17
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117

    Yes; the one and only

    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    I don't have much to offer -- a set of cranks, stem, handlebar, saddle & tires perhaps. I'm in Rockridge; if you find yourself this way, I'll be glad to drag it out for you.
    Sounds like you have plenty to offer. Cranks? Bingo! I am running around on Friday and will hook up.

  18. #18
    VTT
    VTT is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    411
    Mike, I have 2 cranks. One new LX from 98 (8 speed) and a used XT also from 98 (8speed). I read your PM and I will be home on Friday with a bunch of goodies. I will PM you the description of the house because the streets # are weird.

  19. #19
    screamer
    Reputation: budgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,133
    I have some heavily used but still servicable bits & pieces:
    AL flat bar & 26.8 seatpost, SDG bel air saddle, LX front D, XT rear D (I think 750), rear wheel (rocky mtn. hub ~ LX, mavic 221 rims, non-disc), IRC mythos tire, 2x WTB MotoRaptors (2.4), 3x WTB MutanoRaptors (2.4), and Hammer shinguards for your kids learning to bunnyhop! I was going to take them down the street to our local non-profit bike shop, but let me know if you want me to keep anything by for you. Like I said, they're pretty well used, but would suffice to get a bike rolling.
    I'm in Berkeley most Friday afternoons (but not tomorrow, 11/10), BTW.

  20. #20
    My gloves stink
    Reputation: Appendage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,439

    I have a complete bike

    Mike, I've got a large '98 GF Ziggurat that I'd like to donate to some kid who couldn't otherwise afford to get into the sport. PM me if you know someone.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

  21. #21
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117

    Met Lemonhead and VTT today.....

    I had a chance to met these two Forum members and recieve, on behalf of our High School Club, their generousity. I won't go into the lengthly list of contributions as I doubt that they would want that. Suffice it to say that our next couple of bikes will go together quickly and be beter than I could have hoped.
    What they did want was to contribute to our work, to be some part of it in the way that they could, and to voice support for what we do. In our time together we shared about the joy of cycling and wanting to pass that on. I felt their support. Very cool.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •