Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

BYU- a college to go to for FREERIDE?

Hey guys, so I currently live in southern California, and am considering going to byu for college this summer. I am wondering if this is a smart place to go if I want to ride almost everyday...downhill and freeride...also are there any good dirt jumping spots?

mtbr member
    If you are mormon, yes, if not, no... Really thats the more important question.

shreds often
    Apr 2009
    What are your other criteria for a place to go to school? If you just want to go somewhere with good, close riding there are better options out there. Western Washington would be a damn good one, as would UBC. However, if you are Mormon/can pretend to be Mormon and want to get hitched this summer, BYU would be a solid option. Seriously, of the four kids I know who went there, three got married while in school.
    vitalmtb.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I went to BYU and use to work at a shop in Provo and rode a lot in Utah. You are about 45 min away from Dear Valley, you have a lot of fun riding only 15-30 min away, but I don't think the closest resort (sundance) lets you ride (I left several years ago). You are only a few hrs from Moab, but I am not sure if that provides your DH needs either.

That area of Utah is incredible, but I think strictly for DH/Freeride, you will have to drive a little ways away.

Are you Mormon? If not, plan on obeying a bunch of rules, it isn't a typical college "party" life. I grew up here in Socal and grew up racing BMX, riding MX and surfing (my first love). My outlet from not surfing in Utah was mountain biking. It is a really awesome place to ride, but don't tell everyone, let them all keep going to Colorado and other trendy places

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by powder
    Hey guys, so I currently live in southern California, and am considering going to byu for college this summer. I am wondering if this is a smart place to go if I want to ride almost everyday...downhill and freeride...also are there any good dirt jumping spots?
    agreed. you'd be insane to go there if you arent mormon or trying to play D1 football and no one else is offering a scholly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ucsc

NOT Team Sanchez
    BYU is a great school, yes the standards are high but so is the level of education. I hit up a semester there a while back and had a great time, it really comes down to having a positive and respectful attitude. Notre Dame is on a similar level as BYU in terms of standards to just name one of the many other like minded schools around. There is a lot of good riding near Provo but you're going to have to drive an average of thirty minutes to get to any of it.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ha, i live in provo, and used to goto byu. i'm not married...but it's hella cheap during the summer, yes there's high standards, but guess what, if you don't want to live by them, then as long as your careful, noone will know. as far as riding, there's squaw peak dh, 3 dj spots within riding distance(if you know the right people there's some secret spots), sundance is 20 min away, deer valley 45 min, park city dj's, i-street, draper dh, alpine dj, bennie creek dh, eagle mountain, and then some random other dh/freeride/am trails around. it'll be better next year too when some of the spots we're building are better. i like provo. it gets better and better every year

mtbr member
    Humboldt State, Sonoma State, Cal Poly SLO, UC Santa Barbera, UC Santa Cruz, Chico State... Those are what I can think of in CA that have great DH spots (you will have to look for them in Humboldt but you will be very well rewarded.

Look into colleges in Oregon. I know there's a college in the Salem area which is roughly 40 minutes from Black Rock. Eugene has a college and ahs some freeride and dh stuff there too supposedly.

Colorado is excllent for riding. Just purely excellent.

Gotta think about how much you want to ride and how seasonally you want to ride. UT would be a great choice if you like snowy cold winters and a short riding season. CA however gives you year round riding for the most part. And if you're a religious guy I'm sure there's options in CA too.

Just Ride
    Being a mountain biker and picking a school that has good riding is not like being a basketball player and picking a school that has a good basketball program.

Don't pick a school based on riding. Pick a school on programs offered and the quality of those programs. I go to school in one of the flattest areas on the east coast. If I need to get my mountain on, I drive an hour or so, no big deal. The idea is that you don't have time to ride, what your major is sort of depends on whether or not that holds up. But your interests will change inevitably too, would be a shame if you took on a school that didn't offer exactly what you wanted but was only an hour from Whistler but then you got hurt or got out of riding and you were stuck...

If you find a school that has everything you want/need and there happens to be sick trails there, do it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would go to Washinton or Oregon, Washington would give you the best access to BC also. If you can afford it UBC would be the perfect option
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    University of Utah is the best. Access all in the foothills, closer to the resorts, I street, bobbysleigh(not actual trail name but w/e) and wayyyy less mormon. Still is a bit mormon but much hotter girls and more fun, more partying and biking and skiing and all

and better football
    Turner DHR

My threads are typically awful. Thanks for putting up with them.

mtbr member
    + 1 for UCSB, better weather, good trails(once they reopen),& Cal Poly

Glad to Be Alive
    lets see no girls in your bedroom
    no looking at the Internet by yourself late at night
    crummy bear
    high price liquor
    everybody is the same (almost interbred)

3 hours south is Bryan head resort...the best resort in Utah....deer Valley sucks....it is built for XC'ers. Turns are meant to go slower.

the championship DH run is tough but you have to push up to it(sucks)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Commit or eat sh!t
    How about University of Nevada, Reno? You have N* and bunch of other spots. Good weather. Day trips to Mammoth. Gambling too.

dft
    mtbr member
    just pretend to act mormen, you should be able to score on lots of mormen chicks (as there are more chicks than guys)

sorry to offend folks, but the founder of mormen realigion was a nut job.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z
    + 1 for UCSB, better weather, good trails(once they reopen),& Cal Poly
    wUrd. I basically picked this place for grad school based on the riding. Can't go wrong with year round 2.5k vert shuttles! And reasonable driving distance to all the world class trails in and around LA/Ventura/Slo counties.

What do you mean "once they re open"? There's 1 trail that's closed. 3 other shuttle trails in great shape, and tons of fireroad climbs that lead to epic single track, all of those open.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    just pretend to act mormen, you should be able to score on lots of mormen chicks (as there are more chicks than guys)

Founders of most religions are nut jobs...

mtbr member
    Bootleg Canyon is about 15 minutes away from UNLV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ahhh did you know him??? that's so rad! oh yeah...good job on spelling mormon and religion. you're a real winner!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    Founders of most religions are nut jobs...

religions are most nut jobs
    Turner DHR

My threads are typically awful. Thanks for putting up with them.

mtbr member

Your spelling is the only thing offensive.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    Your spelling is the only thing offensive.
    +1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Would never choose a school just because of how good the biking is near by.

mtbr member
    Appalachian State has about 2 dozen long shuttleable DH trails within 30 minutes of town, amazing climbing, amazing town, and great vibe. Ten thumbs way up if I had em'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast