It's about showing up.

BTCEB Sponsors NorCal High Teams Again

The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (Berkeley California) has voted to support the 10 Alameda and Contra Costa County NorCal High School Cycling teams for the 6th consecutive year. We have increased our sponsorship budget to $3000 to support these young riders who embody great trails-sharing values, dedicated training, camaraderie, and grace. We also dedicate our resources to all the remarkable volunteer adults who work so hard to make this happen.

We're all in this together! Ride well.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    As one who has been at both ends of sponsorships I have come to understand that sponsorship is a two-way street. Yes, there is a certain amount of "gifting" from sponsors especially if, as in the case of High School Teams, donors are families, family businesses, or have other heartfelt connections. Other kinds of businesses and institutions may have other motivators from gratitude to effecting their bottom line. As such, some see their logo on a jersey as decoration while for others it is an ad.

After a time, though, even heartfelt donations dry up as the motivations behind them (My kid is on the team, I believe in what this group is doing....) wither and other motivations and issues surface. That said, when I look for sponsorships I always ask what sort of things we can do to support the sponsor. The answer to that question must fit within what a team, made up of teens, their families, and laws will allow, and what serves the sponsor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BTCEB Sponsors NorCal High Teams Again-mtbreast-garrahs1373.jpg  

Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 11-08-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    So for me part of managing sponsorship is finding ways for the sponsored to support the sponsor. I provide a simple list of things we like to see which might fit into the team culture:

1) Prominent logo placement on team jerseys.
    2) Attendance of our events; rides, trailwork, or advocacy events.
    3) Completed membership applications from team members.
    4) Internships fulfilling academic or team community service requirements.

Over the year I continue to encourage teams to support us when It looks like it might fit. I keep track of "performance" and that data effects how I portion-out dollars in the next season. It is hardly draconian. As a former coach I realize that some teams are at the very edges of existing at all; limited adult support, finances, and other challenges to the organization. These teams get a fair amount of slack. All in all it seems to work out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BTCEB Sponsors NorCal High Teams Again-ecrop128092652.jpg  

I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    One of the things few of my coaches realize is that I trained them for years. (That is actually a strange compliment as the best teachers are almost invisible as they purvey learning opportunities; pupils take up the results as if they invented them.) That is a part of what I am trying to do for these teams; show them how to take care of sponsors.

In the end you have a nice stack of happy, repeating, sponsors who may even increase their commitment. It really takes the sting out of operational expense which allows for expenditure on other things or even provide savings. It creates an organzition well-tied to the community, operating with less financial strife, freeing personal resources to concentrate on the riding and racing. It creates a more frequent and gracious open hand to manage those awkward cirucumstances of participants with social/financial limitations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BTCEB Sponsors NorCal High Teams Again-edscn0165.jpg  

I don't rattle.