It's about showing up.

Bob Roll highlights Cyclefest 2007 for NorCal High School League

Bob Roll highlights Cyclefest 2007 for NorCal High School League

The mountain bike community from all over Northern California showed up over 300 strong in San Rafael for Cyclefest 2007 to raise money for the NorCal High School Racing League. Joining Guest of Honor Bob Roll were Tom Ritchy, Joe Breeze, Trail Master Jim Jacobsen, BORP, Clif Bar, Access for Bikes, East Bay Bicycle Trails Counsil, Marin Bicycle Trails Counsil, and at least 40 coaches from the League.
    The evening started with a Silent Auction, kept flowing with wonderful brews and fruit of the vine, included local art and wine. There were frames from Orbea and Santa Cruz, myriad top-end components in titanium and carbon from Ritchy, Fox, Shimano, Specialized, and Crank Brothers. There were WTB seats and tires and even a set of their Laserdisc wheels. There were Carbon Fiber Wheels from Bontrager, glasses from Specialized. Joe Breeze, the Peddlar in El Sobrante, Sharpe Bikes of Lafayette, donated bikes. There was clothing from De Marchi and Voler with special Jerseys from Discovery, 7-11, and a Dave Zabriskie Postal Winter jacket and a tent and jackets from Mountain Hardware.
    The conversation was lively as old friends met without the constraint of tasks for others. The guy’s all looked pretty good but the women were all gorgeous without exception. A charming phalanx of volunteers from the League kept things flowing with enthusiasm and good will. There were quite a few younger racers and sibs scattered about whom, good naturedly, put up w\with the rest of our shenanigans. Too soon the auction was over and we all retired to the Great Hall.
    The tables were adorned with gifts for the guests; Share the Trails Bottles, Norcal Beer Glasses, Miniature Bike Art created from recycled electronics. Tables were purchase by Clif, Fox, Mike’s Bikes, Missing Link, Galaxy Granola and many others. Our own El Cerrito Racing had 7 of our Staff in attendance with massive attendance from the Los Gatos, Drake, Woodcreek, Branson, San Rafael, Novato, Redwood, Nevada Union, and Berkeley Teams. The food was ample and finely presented with libation without limit all purportedly within protien/carb ratios suitable for cyclists who most certainly would be riding with Bob Roll the next day
    The evening started with introductions of VIPs, of which there were plenty, and short perspectives delivered by riders prominent in the League. Executive Director and Founder Matt Fritzinger shared a bit about League growth and its most valued resource, it’s coaches. Very significantly he announced publicly that the NorCal High School Racing League will be parting with the USAC to develop on it’s own. This has been some time in coming and is a statement of the unique talent and vision extant in the League. It was a proud moment.
    How do you follow that? With more audacity, that’s how. Intro Bob Roll and the room took off. Bob tells great stories. We were treated to a first-hand explanation of the trademark pronunciation of Tour DAY France. Turns out it has to do with a pre-occupation with their Gauloises and obtuse indifference by French Waiters to Bob’s French when requesting water for his new American Team turning him into an avowed Franco-phobe. Then followed stories about commuting on his road bike, because he didn’t have a car, to his construction job up Tunnel road with a thermos of chicken noodle soup. There were myriad description of the bizarre, gnome-like, body types of euro riders and the infamous Naked Ride. He could have done this for hours and we would have let him but there was serious business at hand.
    We had a very special raffle for the evening. Bob picked the winner in the raffle for the Signed Floyd Landis Yellow Jersey, which Floyd donated, to our League. Matt, ever the gentleman and statesman suggested that it wasn’t for the League to determine Floyd’s guilt or innocence. Bob took the mike and boldly attested to the fact the only reason the French tested Floyd for Testosterone was that they couldn’t test their own. The roof nearly flew off. He never missed a beat. The winner of the Raffle promptly donated the Infamous Jersey back to the League for immediate auction, which brought in nearly $1000. We further auctioned off other goodies including a hosted weekend at Tom Ritchy’s Pacific Coast Hideaway and many other getaways. Too soon it was “good night ladies.”
    Bob, just a perfect choice for the evening, holds up his end very, very well and I know we could have hung out all night. He was clearly loved and was pleased to receive a League Jacket. There is something charming about one of “us” reaching so high who comes back to give only to find that he really never left. He will always drink for free around us and may the girls get in line to chat him up.
    Look for this event next year. It is one you shouldn’t miss.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good time.

In that second Pic, was he doing his John Belushi - Joe Cocker imatation?

mtbr member
    went last year had a blast, didnt go this year but it looks liike it brought good money to the league, good job

It's about showing up.

That is totally on.

Quote Originally Posted by imjps
    Sounds like a good time.

In that second Pic, was he doing his John Belushi - Joe Cocker imatation?

I had the same thought but too much to say in my write-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    That is one sweet looking fat tubed, tireless, single speed rig!

Thanks for the writeup and all the hard work. Looking forward to suporting my daughter in the coming season.

It's about showing up.

This is our community.

Step forward and be a part of it.

mtbr member

Absolutely!

Did not get involved last year in course marshalling or other league activities because we needed help at the team level for NHS. My involvement was organizing and leading lots of rides, teaching bike maintenance and repair, pre-race bike and psych tunes, set up of team area, shuttle driver, chef...It was great to take part in the events and last season was very rewarding at a personal level for me. We had a young team with a number of first year riders. It was awesome to see the kids develop their skills during the season and most have kept on riding since then.
    I am a Dad with a lot of passion for riding. Seeing my daughter and other kids start riding regularly, competing, and getting the same enjoyment as I do from this sport is really a great feeling. Post ride beers are the only issue right now
    I wish this scene was around back in the day when I was in high school. but no... had to walk to and from school, up hill both ways, snowing, with newspaper for shoes...

It's about showing up.

It is really exciting to see such participation in Marin.

Joe Breeze, Tom Ritchey, BTC Marin, Joe Jacobson, Access 4 Bikes, Mike's Bikes, Marin Cyclists and every Marin High school now has an MTB Racing Team. Too Cool.