It's about showing up.

Big Wheel Rohloff at NorCal High School Champs

Custom Black Sheep Ti. Cyclemonkey's Neil sweeping the Varsity race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Wheel Rohloff at NorCal High School Champs-echamps516104479b.jpg  

Big Wheel Rohloff at NorCal High School Champs-echamps516104357b.jpg  

Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 05-30-2010 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Neil is still in high school? I never knew.
    "whatever bike I'm riding, that's my favorite"

It's about showing up.

While he is eternally young

his effort with the El Cerrito and Albany High Teams are as a ride leader and coach. He also supports a number of riders with bikes from his Cyclemonkey stable.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 05-29-2010 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Isn't that a Jones frame and fork?

Tim

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Actually, that's a one-off from James at Black Sheep Bikes (http://blacksheepbikes.com/). I sketched out what I wanted the bike to look like. James chose the tubes and did the assembly. It's blast to ride. Those big tire have soooo much grip. I'm told the bike sounds like a tractor bearing down on you. It requires a little more energy at cruising speeds, but not too bad. The HS kids (and their parents) got a kick out seeing that bike going around the course that day.

Neil
    Cycle Monkey
    Rohloff Speedhubs - Schlumpf Gearing Systems - Custom Wheels
    www.cyclemonkey.com
    cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Niel,

Looks great and it's nice to hear you support the kids, gets some of them off the PS??? (whatever model it's up to now) and outdoors. Well done.

Al

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well, at least for a while. I've been on countless rides where the main topic of conversation among the kids is the latest video game. But hey, they've gotta do something between dirt rides, right?
    Cycle Monkey
    www.cyclemonkey.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Neil,

I can't see the dropouts very well on that bike. How is the chain tensioned?

Usually those fat bike have wide BBs and offset rear wheels for correct chainline. Is it the same on that one?

I like the internal rear brake line. Same for shifter cables?

Norm
    "whatever bike I'm riding, that's my favorite"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The chainstays telescope. There's a set screw that locks them in place. Pretty simple solution from James at Black Sheep and it's very clean looking. This detail is just blocked by my foot.

This bike does not have an offset rear wheel. The offset is required to use a derailleur system. I specifically wanted to avoid the offset, which requires dish to be introduced to an otherwise dish-less Speedhub wheel. This also allows me to swap in 29'er wheels should I want to. The chainline of the Speedhub is wide enough to clear the tire. The frame has a standard 68mm shell which presents some issues with chainring/chainstay clearance and crank-arm/chainstay clearance. After running through a long list of options, I found that the Shimano Octalink cranks have a wide enough q-factor to clear the chainstays when combined with a wider than usual BB (127mm vs 113mm). The chainring needs to be moved to the middle position once the chainring/chainstay clearance issue is resolved. It is currently in the outer position, which is too wide.

The frame has internal routing for the hub cables, brake cables, and front generator light (not yet installed but light mount tab and generator wire passage just visible on fork in first photo).

Neil
    Cycle Monkey
    www.cyclemonkey.com

It's about showing up.

Here is a shot of the telescoping chainstays

I built this custom set using a an distressed cardboard box and flagstone to mimic a backyard shot.
    Anyhow, I had this from before the bike was built up. The first shot shows the chainstays. The second and third show the internal cable routing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Wheel Rohloff at NorCal High School Champs-telepins.jpg  

Big Wheel Rohloff at NorCal High School Champs-introut.jpg  

Big Wheel Rohloff at NorCal High School Champs-introute2.jpg