mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Berkeley High MTB 2012 Season Head Coach Position is Open!

The Berkeley High School Mountain Bike Racing Team is the longest running team in the NorCal High School Mountain Bike League Race Series. Our Head Coach position is open for the 2012 season, so the search is on for candidates!

Two dozen young men and women participated during the 2011 season. Riders' abilities range from beginner to extremely competitive and the team is supported by a number of volunteer assistant coaches, ride leaders, parents, and sponsors.

The successful candidate will be able to instruct and coach students in mountain biking and team participation. The candidate must be willing to work part-time with a diverse range of students and volunteer assistant coaches.

Stipend: $2,000 - $3,000 depending on experience
    Pre-season logistics, Nov-Dec 2011; regular training & races Jan-May 2012

Please send a letter/e-mail of interest to Greg Merritt (greg.merritt@gmail.com) to discuss the position in greater detail. More details available at http://tinyurl.com/mtbcoach ...and check out this YouTube clip of the team from the local news.

Go Jackets!!

It's about showing up.
    This will change your view of mountain biking and teens forever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Yep yep!

Really dedicated kids, training hard and having loads of fun. Excellent stuff!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike

In a good way, or bad way?
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

It's about showing up.
    Adults learn mtb in a random, trial-by-error fashion, with all the traditional damage that goes along with it. Once you get involved in a comprehensive project fashion with students (for whom you are responsible) evolving in front of you, things change.

Just as with any avocation, if only through repeated exposure, you start form concepts, conclusions, methods, insights and efficiencies. In the mileu of other coaches you find out that "random" is a waste of resources and health. You find out how to teach this stuff, keep it interesting, and keep building the fund of knowledge. And this is not just a weekend camp; this is 3-4 sessions a week.

MTB, it turns out, is systematically learnable and teachable as a body of knowledge just like anything. You find out that it can be much safer than the experience expressed by the general population. You also find that you create a more comprehensivley skilled rider who makes remarkable strides in power and stamina. The average high school rider after 2 seasons is far more developed than most riders. Add a 3rd and 4th year even toward the back of the pack in JV? Awesome; kick-your-fanny awesome.

It makes you look at riders and their assumptions from a pretty continuous body of experience few will ever have.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 05-11-2011 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's another showcase of the Berkeley High MTB Team on the Cal-Hi Sports show:

And the helmet camera footage in this clip is very nice. I wonder who filmed it?

Ok, kidding aside, I've been involved with the Berkeley High team for a few years now and have really enjoyed the experience. Always a great group of students. And it's motivating to see the progress and excitement generated.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This is something I plan on progressing towards so hopefully by the time my son does get old enough I can coach him along with his friends in an open controlled and fun environment. I wish I would have been introduced to this in High school or even had the option. This is something that needs to be introduced to more High Schools around the bay area. Sounds like a great opportunity wish I was more qualified and had the extra time.

Chris

It's about showing up.
    Even though you may not have the tine to take on team, theses groups always welcome occasional support of any kind. It will give you an idea of what the teams do and how they work. It also gives you a sense of how and where you might fit in in an on-going but casual basis. Further, over time, you will get to see how the riders progress.

Before and After.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitWienie
    I wish I would have been introduced to this in High school or even had the option.
    Chris,

You're not the only one. In fact, you can support this effort by getting a t-shirt that expresses exactly the feeling you describe!

http://store.nationalmtb.org/product...hirts-preorder

It's about showing up.
    All forms of support are appreciated.

My personal preference is donations directly to the team. Most coaches support the teams out of pocket and ready cash means a bit of extra something for the kids. I also feel very strongly about taking care of our own; there is plenty of need. NorCal's contribution to NICA has been fundamental and is already substantial.

Got to:

norcalmtb.org

to find you local team or contact me directly and I will put you in touch with the right people.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 05-13-2011 at 07:39 PM.