mtbr member

Arizona West Valley support?

Looking to maybe become a ride leader however I have 0 connections to any high schools in my area. In fact I believe there is only 1 in a 10 mile radius to me in Surprise AZ.

Anyone getting anything organized out here? Plus, yes i do work in a shop, and we would like to help out student athletes as much as we can.

Any info you have is great, thanks!!

(and yes i have gone to the website etc etc and none of the info there helps me out at all, not looking to start a team; just help one)

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think we have anything going on in the northwest part of the valley yet. We have around 30 teams signed up and should have around 200 kids at the race this weekend. If you have some free time this weekend head out to McDowell Mt. Park and check us out. There is a volunteer signup on our website if you want to officially sign up for a volunteer spot. Thanks for your support. I rarely check MTBR so the best way to reach us is through our web page or Facebook.

John Shumaker
    Race Director

It's about showing up.
    Seeing it first hand will definitely help. That and the possibility of making contacts. You might talk to the Race Director to see if you can get an announcement concerning any developing interest in your area. It may ot add up to a team just yet but it does build a focus which creates potential.
    I don't rattle.

Your Best Friend
    Why not organize a team and become a coach?

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Why not organize a team and become a coach?
    Do you have any idea what that requires? Have you done it? Do you understand what it means for a shop to help out?
    I don't rattle.

Your Best Friend
    Yes. I have done it and I am a coach of two separate teams in the Utah league. If he has the interest and the desire, plus a nearby school...why not go for it. Someone has to.

It's about showing up.
    You are just getting started. Congratulations. I will be interested to hear from you after 2 or 3 seasons. Few last that long. The reasons will be revealed but they need not stop you.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Attend one of the races and talk to the league director. You can also talk to the coaches and parents while there. Only a few hoops to jump through and you are set... Good luck!