mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Any high school coaches out there who race/ride

Wondering if there are high school or middle school coaches out there who also like to race/ride mountain bikes. Cause i graduate in december of 09 and hope to find a job out there being a high school coach. Don't know what ill be coaching but if im here in Texas still i know it will most likely be football with another secondary sport.

Question is how do yall balance out your times and what is your training like and what class do you race.

I know that i could always commute to school as training being that the hours of our profession are long.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

It's about showing up.

If you coached football would you be playing, too?

If you coached cycling would you be riding, too? Or are you talking about riding in your spare time when you are not coaching?

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Um... How much do they pay coaches down in Texas?! Because up here in NY unless you're a monster of a school you don't get much.. Coaching for public schools ends up being more of a public service than a job.. You don't get paid much.

If you're only coaching and riding you should have plenty of time to train. I work a full time job.. and will be coaching swimming next year. I'll just fit my personal training in around the other stuff. You're young.. live it up
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It depends on the school district, lubbock starts off around 35K, while my old hometown of Frisco starts off at 43K for new teachers, that doesnt include the coaching stipend.

yeah cycling programs here in Texas are not a great demand, it would be coaching than cycling

meh... whatever
    its just like any other job. you have to schedule your fun/training in your free time.
    "I never TRY anything... I just do it." ~ Varla

mtbr member
    I coached football a few years back. If you are doing it for the money you are making a huge mistake. I'd love to know the amount of time I spent on it and figure out my hourly rate, but I'm guessing it was less than a dollar an hour.

It was very rewarding and I honestly would have done it for free. The money was like a little thank you at the end of the season.

Make sure your nerves are up to it. Did you get nervous before games when you played? Well multiply that by 100 and you'll get the nerves you have while coaching.

Also if you do it, make sure you know, or are able to find out, every little detail about the game. Things you never think of will become issues. So be ready

~I Ride In Circles ~
    While coaching at college I was paid a total of $4600 for the whole season plus recruiting etc... I figured out the hourly rate to be about $1.30 if I was lucky.. I was likely getting about $.60
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    While coaching at college I was paid a total of $4600 for the whole season plus recruiting etc... I figured out the hourly rate to be about $1.30 if I was lucky.. I was likely getting about $.60
    I coached at a small high school and I think it was like 3k for the season.

I wasn't as big into biking then as I am now, but I don't see how you'd have much time, or energy to ride very often

It's about showing up.

Coaching can take ALL of your spare time.

New and inexperienced coaches can use up even more time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I know it can take up all of the spare time, and im not doing this for the money. Im doing this cause i want to. I want to help others reach their full potiential and if not help them get the ability to strive to reach their potientail by themselves.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who is doing this right now.