It's about showing up.

Albany High School girls showed up this year to race

I had two girls, 1 Var 1 JV, return for their 4th year. AND I have 4 new girls. Two sophs are thick as thieves and a third is finding her way. They are very close in general ability but each with different strengths. The 4th new girl, a freshman, is one I had in my YMCA summer course two years running. She sports a Kenda jersey we got through support from this forum two years ago (thanks Chuky!) Deadly shy and quiet but intense, strong, and smart. She ran XC and played soccer so we haven't had her as much as I would like. She might do track. She is the best rider of the bunch.

It is curious that the new sophs have been pretty busy learning since we started in November. Now, more confident, I'm asking them to reach out to our new frosh. They know she is good and now know what that means and have a lot of respect for her. I hope this makes her feel welcome. We can be really good for her in so many ways.

She is in the middle, the vet girls on the lower right. 6 of 15 racers are girls, amongst the highest ratio in the NorCal league. I've made our JV Jr. girl the Girls Captain; first ever. They look great, sound great. We race next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Albany High School girls showed up this year to race-eahsmtbike2010.jpg  

It's about showing up.

No on our frosh girl

She has relationships with a few girls on the Track Team. That is tough to give up for her. I hope she can stay healthy in 3 running sports, XC, Soccer, and Track, per season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Keep up the good work

Great to see another program continuing to expand. We just started a U19 program with 4 riders. Hope to gain momentum since we host the High School Championships for New Jersey. We have 3 registered HS teams in the state so far.
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

shameless plug

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnz2Sea
    Great to see another program continuing to expand. We just started a U19 program with 4 riders. Hope to gain momentum since we host the High School Championships for New Jersey. We have 3 registered HS teams in the state so far.
    Have you heard of the Greenbrier Challenge race in Hagerstown, Maryland?

http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=10037
    http://www.potomacvelo.com/events/greenbrier/index.html

In addition to being the MD state champs, and an Allison Dunlap Jr Olympics race, it is also race #1 in a new 4 part USAC series in the Mid-Atlantic:

1) Greenbrier Challenge AMBC/ MD State Championships/ Junior Olympics (Apr 25) Hagerstown, MD
    2) Massanutten HOO HA!/ U.S. Cup/ Triple Crown All Mountain Pro (Jun 20) Harrisonburg, VA
    3) Bulldog Rump AMBC/ NJ State Championships (Jul 11) Andover, NJ
    4) Bear Creek Challenge AMBC/ PA State Championships/ U.S. Cup/ MARC Finals (Aug 1) Allentown, PA

The shameless plug part is that my club is the one putting on the race. This is our 7th year running this race. It is a blast.

-Mike