mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Advice for poor college student on component upgrades

Hey everybody,

I have a 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara, and I desperately need to replace some of the components on it. Basically, I need to replace the crankset, rear derailleur, and cassette on my bike. The rear derailleur isen't in terrible shape, but its time is coming. I would like to "upgrade" these components without spending all the money that I have. Can anyone recommend some products that are better than stock but not overkill on cost?

I don't do any hardcore jumping, but I do ride that bike pretty hard on the local trails. Don't know if that helps when it comes to picking out the right product or not.

It's about showing up.

If you change the cassette you'll change the chain too

You've worn out the heart of your bike. You will have to spend a few bucks. I'm a Shimano user. Cambria has these on closeout.

Deore Cassette:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ntain+Cassette

Rear LX der:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ear+Derailleur

Deare Cranksets:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...-M530+Crankset

SRAM Chain:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+Cn-Hg73+Chain

Shimano Deore and SRAM 951 chain for $160.

You may be able to beat these deals but it is a place to start.

mtbr member
    a bit more $$$ but nicer hollowtech crank arms
    http://jensonusa.com/store/product/C...+Crankset.aspx

Ovaries on the Outside
    Convert to SS!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the fast replies so far, guys. I am a Shimano fan too, and I'll bookmark these links you guys sent me. Umarth, I have considered converting to single speed. I think it would be pretty badass to be fast on a ss bike haha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Why do you want to upgrade, what do you consider an upgrade and, most importantly.

Why did you pick up these components? Is there any mechanical issue that surfaced?

mtbr member
    If the derailleur works keep it for now.
    Upgrade to a lighter cassette and cranks with the money you save on now buying the cassette for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hunt chainlove and Jenson for deals.. Look out for OE stuff on Jenson.. I managed to grab an XT FD from Jenson for 15bucks and a X7 shorty RD from chainlove for 30 bucks
    Also got the XT cassette from Jenson for 50bucks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator
    Why do you want to upgrade, what do you consider an upgrade and, most importantly.

Why did you pick up these components? Is there any mechanical issue that surfaced?
    Haha, well if you look at my crankset, it looks like a piece of plastic warped in the sun. It's very bent up. Plus, I am confined to my middle ring; however, due to how bad my crankset is bent up, it will slip to the little ring or to no ring. Also, my cassette is really worn out. My derailleur is definitely rideable, it just dosen't shift fast and is kind of iffy in how it functions over all.

mtbr member
    delete

Rub it............
    I'd have to say that your derailleur is fine, but your cables are toast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    MMky. I kind of grasp the problem.

1. You need to replace the whole drivetrain. Some parts may be salvageable, but from what you say you might lack the expertise to do so.

2. You are on a tight budget.

My propositions.

1. Any 9 speed cassette will do, as long as it is not Campagnolo . Which covers around 99% of the market. Since you are alrady on this stage, then it is sensible to ask yourself on what kind of terrain you ride and choose an appropriate cassette size.
    - if you ride on the goddamn flat terrain then 11-21 or 12-21
    - if you ride on the flat terrain then 11-23, 11-25, 12-23 or 12-25 are your choices
    - if you ride on a hilly terrain then 11-28 is the best choice
    - if you ride on real mountains then 11-32, 11-34 or 12-36 depending how hard is the terrain and how heavy are you. The longer the ride, the heavier you are then the bigger cassette you need.

Considering choices _any_ shimano cassette, including lowly Alivio will be fine. With higher group choices you merely get less weight. Which, I guess, does not matter in an $800 bike.

2. Crankset. If you are on a tight budget then look no further then on some Alivio FC- M440 or similar square taper crank. However you need to check if such crankset will fit your current BB. If you really want to upgrade then Deore integrated cranksets offer an excellent quality in rather sensible price.

Once again - the choice here may also involve your riding characteristic. If you ride on a hard packed terrain, gravel roads and/or ride alot on pavement then get a triple crankset. If you ride mostly off road, and/or on gnarly, rooty trails then get a dual ring cransk with a bashguard ( if you bent your rings, then it might be an indication, that you need a bash ).

3. Chain.

I found Shimano HG53, Sram PC49 and KMC Z9000 to offer excellent quality for sensible price. I get around 5000-6000 thousand miles from one chain ( granted, i then need to trash the complete drivetrain then ) depending on how lax is my maintenence.

4. Replace all cables and casings on your bike. This makes a world of difference for a fraction of the price of a decent derailleur.

5. Include the service cost at your LBS , or cost of tools if you want to replace the stuff yourself. You need some special bike tools to replace all the stuff.