Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

XC Trails in Westchester County?

Anyone know of any XC trails in Westchester? I'm about to buy an XC mountain bike.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
    Anyone know of any XC trails in Westchester? I'm about to buy an XC mountain bike.

Thanks
    Blue Mountain, Peekskill....Period

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks!!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUE-29er View Post
    Wow, thanks! Yonkers? Who would of thought. I lived there 20 years ago and know the Sprain Park didn't have biking trails back then.

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks! Yonkers? Who would of thought. I lived there 20 years ago and know the Sprain Park didn't have biking trails back then.
    Yes,thanks to a few dedicated individuals.>>63xc.com--Here&Now | Sprain Ridge Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Do you know if there are any mountain biking club that meat in Westchester? Also are most of these trails beginner/intermediate? Any technical trails as I advance? I would be a beginner. I'm looking to purchase a 2013 Trek X-caliber 29er HT right now. It's a XC bike. Are most of these trails good for that? Thanks

mtbr member
    Go to Blue Mountain today in Peekskill, the WMBA Fat Tire Festival is on you can meet some great people and get an idea of what is out there. Westchester has some excellent trails for all levels. Here is the site for meet ups WMBA.ORG ? Index page

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchemo View Post
    Go to Blue Mountain today in Peekskill, the WMBA Fat Tire Festival is on you can meet some great people and get an idea of what is out there. Westchester has some excellent trails for all levels. Here is the site for meet ups WMBA.ORG ? Index page
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi, Can anyone tell me what kind of trails these are? I figure Sprain Ridge Park in Yonkers is flat, so more like XC. How about the one in Peekskill and Pleasantville? Would I be better off with a 29" HT or 26" FS? I would probably start out in Yonkers a few times and then step up to more aggressive riding.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Graham Hills in P'ville is a good XC park. There is some elevation change, so you should like to climb, but much of it is nice smooth singletrack. Yes, some roots and rocks, as it's the East, after all, but generally very nice. My favorite xc ride there is up Updraft (yellow), around white, down Snaggle (blue) and then back to the parking lot.

Blue is bigger (much) and has techier parts, but also lots of nice flowy singletrack. I like it. I've never been to Sprain, but I've heard it's actually techier than the other two.

I ride an old heavy 26" full-sus trail bike; the majority of riders at Graham seem to be on 29ers, about half HT, half fs. At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters. Ride what you like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sounds good, I appreciate the info. Now I need to try and make up my mind on the bike. :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sounds good, I appreciate the info. Now I need to try and make up my mind on the bike. :-)
    Try demo'ing a bike for the day, and hit blue mountain and sprain and get an idea of how you like it, both the bike and the trails. Plenty of good bike shops up in westchester and good riders. The wmba is a good bunch of guys/girls and would be happy to give you a tour.

'Tis but a scratch
    Both Sprain and Blue Mountain will test your skills as you advance. There are some killer rock features at both places. I wouldn't label either one of these places as "beginner" at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    Both Sprain and Blue Mountain will test your skills as you advance. There are some killer rock features at both places. I wouldn't label either one of these places as "beginner" at all.
    Thanks, LBS won't let me demo the bike on a trail. Do you think a HT 29er is capable of handling most of this or would a FS 29er be the better choice?

THX

'Tis but a scratch
    I see plenty of people riding HTs and plenty riding FS. This is purely up to your preference and your budget. Your money will go further on a HT. That statement coming from someone who only owns FS bikes. But, these trails can be ridden with either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: XC Trails in Westchester County?

Hi, Can anyone tell me what kind of trails these are? I figure Sprain Ridge Park in Yonkers is flat, so more like XC. How about the one in Peekskill and Pleasantville? Would I be better off with a 29" HT or 26" FS? I would probably start out in Yonkers a few times and then step up to more aggressive riding.

Thanks
    Sprain ridge is NOT flat plenty of trails with short steep hills. I think it sucks for beginners. The beginner trail is doable but it gets a bit boring fast. Its a great place to ride but really isn't beginner place. Graham hills is definitely more forgiving for beginners and Cunningham park in queens is very flowy and beginner friendly

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I ride Blue Mountain a lot, and have been to Sprain a few times. Blue can be pretty miserable on a hardtail, with all the rocks and roots. Sprain might be a little more forgiving, but not much.

Both places do not have much elevation, but they make extensive use of it. That means lots of short, steep climbs. They are usually filled with rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys, I'm going to test ride a FS 2012 left over Giant Anthem X 29er 2 and compare it to a HT 2013 Trek Xcaliber 29er this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    I ride Blue Mountain a lot, and have been to Sprain a few times. Blue can be pretty miserable on a hardtail, with all the rocks and roots. Sprain might be a little more forgiving, but not much.

Both places do not have much elevation, but they make extensive use of it. That means lots of short, steep climbs. They are usually filled with rocks and roots.
    Thanks, so you think I would be better on a FS 29er? I'm 51 yo and in good shape, but I'm obviously not a kid anymore. Sprain is the closest to me. I live in Mamaroneck/Larchmont. Something in New Rochelle would be great, but I'm told all they have is a bike path on Shore Rd. I am now considering three bikes: the 2013 Trek Xcaliber HT, 2013 FS Giant Anthem X 29er 2 and possibly the Giant FS Trance X 29er 2. The Trance is more of a trail bike, the other two more of an XC bike with the Anthem also being a bit of a do it all type mountain bike. Any recommendations? Thanks again!

Trance X 29er 2 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Anthem X 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

X-Caliber - Trek Bicycle

Big Gulps, Alright!
    If those are the trails you are going to be riding, I would prefer full suspension hands down. You can ride everything on a hardtail, you'll just get bounced around a little more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    If those are the trails you are going to be riding, I would prefer full suspension hands down. You can ride everything on a hardtail, you'll just get bounced around a little more.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, so you think I would be better on a FS 29er? I'm 51 yo and in good shape, but I'm obviously not a kid anymore. Sprain is the closest to me. I live in Mamaroneck/Larchmont. Something in New Rochelle would be great, but I'm told all they have is a bike path on Shore Rd. I am now considering three bikes: the 2013 Trek Xcaliber HT, 2013 FS Giant Anthem X 29er 2 and possibly the Giant FS Trance X 29er 2. The Trance is more of a trail bike, the other two more of an XC bike with the Anthem also being a bit of a do it all type mountain bike. Any recommendations? Thanks again!

Trance X 29er 2 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Anthem X 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

X-Caliber - Trek Bicycle
    how big is your budget? personally, not impressed with the value on any of those bikes. Of course, if you are agetting a deal on them that changes my tune but I would go for a hard tail with higher end components all around before I would go with the full susser with super low parts. $2400 this hardtail has much better components than any of the others you have above Trek Bicycle

When I ride sprain, I see 90% full suspension. I ride a hardtail but honestly, I'm new to MTB and the limiting factor is far more my skills than my bike. What really turns me off about the 2 giant bikes are the lack of tubeless wheels which in my opinon should be standard nowadays. The trek bikes have bontrager wheels which have one of the easiest to use tubeless options around so I would definately be leaning towards trek for that reason. Lastly, if your just getting into this at 51 years of age, you may seriously want to consider buying used. You will get a lot more bike for your money and get a better feel on what kind of riding you will be doing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    how big is your budget? personally, not impressed with the value on any of those bikes. Of course, if you are agetting a deal on them that changes my tune but I would go for a hard tail with higher end components all around before I would go with the full susser with super low parts. $2400 this hardtail has much better components than any of the others you have above Trek Bicycle

When I ride sprain, I see 90% full suspension. I ride a hardtail but honestly, I'm new to MTB and the limiting factor is far more my skills than my bike. What really turns me off about the 2 giant bikes are the lack of tubeless wheels which in my opinon should be standard nowadays. The trek bikes have bontrager wheels which have one of the easiest to use tubeless options around so I would definately be leaning towards trek for that reason. Lastly, if your just getting into this at 51 years of age, you may seriously want to consider buying used. You will get a lot more bike for your money and get a better feel on what kind of riding you will be doing.
    Thanks, that's just it, I'm torn between FS vs higher components. The X-Cal I can get for $1350 (there's a scratch on the swifter), the 2012 Anthem 2 for $1700. Not sure about the 2013 Trance X since I just started considering that one. I have read many MB switch to tubeless as you have pointed out. I'm not that knowledgeable about mountain bikes and would to buy new or leftover. I also get three years of unlimited service from my LBS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    those are pretty darn good prices so I feel better about telling you to go with one of them but I'll still point you in the direction for some good used deal. The WMBA has a forum with classifieds and very active user base of people that get together to ride all the time. I think you could buy used from that forum with confidence. if your going to get into MTB vs road cycling, your gonna have to learn to work on your bike cuz it's just all part of the game. too easy to wipe out on the trail and need to fix things on the fly.

check out the wmba forum, here are a couple of listings for good used bikes, of course I have no idea what size you are but these bikes are both mediums

WMBA.ORG • View topic - For Sale: Specialized Enduro 2009 - great XC / Trail bike

WMBA.ORG • View topic - Santa Cruz Juliana 2010

As for the bikes you are considering, I think most people would say the brakes are the real weak point. Not too many fans of Avid Elixir brakes. Shimano makes very good hydro brakes at a reasonable price point so that it something you should consider upgrading at the first sign of issues with the avids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast